Clone money racing

you will spend more than 1000.00 to win a 1000.00 purse. if you are not on par with the racers in the front you will probably loose money in torn up equipment battling knuckleheads for 15th place.
I would guess even the hotshots traveling around looking for $1000-3000 purse races and winning a handful here and there a year are still in the hole and they have way more invested than motors.
for the cheapest form of motor sport I sure do spend a lot of money and i'm a cheapskate
And I get that but to me it’s better than playing around at backyard tracks week in and week out just for the fun of it and there’s nothing wrong with that it’s just not challenging enough for me, I’ve been racing for almost 30 years mainly motocross And did some road course motorcycle racing for awhile and Karting on and off since the 90’s and just now getting back into Karting again (last time I ran was 07-09) since my body can’t run a full moto at wide open pace anymore without getting completely pumped up and tight within a couple laps so figured I’d switch to the less physically demanding sport and what’s ironic is karting may be physically easier on your body but harder on your wallet to run up front than in mx. Also I just love building engines no matter what it is or goes in and really love this challenge of trying to build an engine that hopefully eventually can be somewhat competitive and if it’s not then that’s fine I’ll get the same enjoyment from it either way…well maybe a little more if it was competitive, thanks for the help guys!

And I get that but to me it’s better than playing around at backyard tracks week in and week out just for the fun of it and there’s nothing wrong with that it’s just not challenging enough for me, I’ve been racing for almost 30 years mainly motocross And did some road course motorcycle racing for awhile and Karting on and off since the 90’s and just now getting back into Karting again (last time I ran was 07-09) since my body can’t run a full moto at wide open pace anymore without getting completely pumped up and tight within a couple laps so figured I’d switch to the less physically demanding sport and what’s ironic is karting may be physically easier on your body but harder on your wallet to run up front than in mx. Also I just love building engines no matter what it is or goes in and really love this challenge of trying to build an engine that hopefully eventually can be somewhat competitive and if it’s not then that’s fine I’ll get the same enjoyment from it either way…well maybe a little more if it was competitive, thanks for the help guys!
Every race program that offers Pro Clone offers regular clone classes with real good competition entered in it under the exact same rules, the Pro class is not faster because of rules differ, there will still be a nice payout to shoot for with a lot lower entry fee, all were saying is run those classes awhile until you get some more experience.

Good Luck !!

Not sure about the Carolina's but at many tracks the Pro racers also race the regular class to gain more knowledge about the track conditions to prepare for the Pro class. You'd likely have the same competition at a lower cost.

Just find a track that has serious racers. I don't race against pros every week but the competition is good. you don't need to find a big money race to race against people who are serious about racing. you can also find a used motor that's been refreshed recently to get your feet wet. there is also nothing wrong with racing a 150.00 predator even Donnie Nall races those. hes as pro as they come

Just find a track that has serious racers. I don't race against pros every week but the competition is good. you don't need to find a big money race to race against people who are serious about racing. you can also find a used motor that's been refreshed recently to get your feet wet. there is also nothing wrong with racing a 150.00 predator even Donnie Nall races those. hes as pro as they come
Only when big money is on the line, he dont race Predator locally.

Only when big money is on the line, he dont race Predator locally.
all I'm saying is he's not too proud to run a predator. There is nothing wrong with racing a predator. dogging on this class shows ignorance . around here its very popular with good competition I don't consider it a beginners class at all. if you're in the top five every week, you've got skills

Just find a track that has serious racers. I don't race against pros every week but the competition is good. you don't need to find a big money race to race against people who are serious about racing. you can also find a used motor that's been refreshed recently to get your feet wet. there is also nothing wrong with racing a 150.00 predator even Donnie Nall races those. hes as pro as they comE

I ran predator 390 at providence va last night, my first time there and didn’t know setup or anything, kart was fast and made it up to 4th but had a bad push in 1 and 2 and the others karts started to go under me coming out of 2 and I didn’t realize until I got home that I could only rev to around 4825 when holding the throttle pedal wide open because we set the governor to around 5090 by the lever on the engine not realizing I wasnt getting full rpm when pressing the actual throttle pedal, I thought the gearing was off and put a bigger rear sprocket on and still couldn’t turn over 4820 ish and now I know why! 🤦‍♂️ sure could have used those extra couple hundred or so rpm on track, finished I believe 7 out of 11 but had fun and believe if I can get the push out my kart that it’s had for awhile now, I don’t have access to scales to do a proper setup, I could be a top 5 kart in any class depending on how rough and aggressive the competition is. I run modified predator class (on an engine I built btw) at backyard races which is wayyy faster than otb predator and probably pro clone too and my kart handles a lot better at those speeds I assume since I use the rear brake to help rotate my kart through the turns. Either way I had a great time and looking forward to trying again this weekend at jug house with better setup and rpms running where they should be! Lol. Thanks again for the responses and help guys!

Last edited:
Did you ever consider with the I'll handling that's the max rpms you could get, I've been around karts running stock predator with like 50 wins that all turned under 4900 rpms.

Did you ever consider with the I'll handling that's the max rpms you could get, I've been around karts running stock predator with like 50 wins that all turned under 4900 rpms.
Well I tried a couple different sprockets and rpms never got over 4825ish and after the races I went out and realized it was surging at 4825 ish going into the turns so it would not go any faster no matter the setup since the governor stop or whatever it’s called was turned in just a hair too much. My kart actually handles really well at jug house as is but I’m definitely gonna have to get that push out that I have at these longer flatter tracks. I see how the other karts rotate really well center off, I can actually see whole kart rotate where as mine is trying to keep straight, I had it setup for these type of tracks from years ago but messed around with it trying to get it to turn at the small backyard tracks I’ve been running lately and screwed it up and don’t remember what settings I had before. But I’ll get right eventually, ain’t nothing but practice, practice,practice!

Well I tried a couple different sprockets and rpms never got over 4825ish and after the races I went out and realized it was surging at 4825 ish going into the turns so it would not go any faster no matter the setup since the governor stop or whatever it’s called was turned in just a hair too much. My kart actually handles really well at jug house as is but I’m definitely gonna have to get that push out that I have at these longer flatter tracks. I see how the other karts rotate really well center off, I can actually see whole kart rotate where as mine is trying to keep straight, I had it setup for these type of tracks from years ago but messed around with it trying to get it to turn at the small backyard tracks I’ve been running lately and screwed it up and don’t remember what settings I had before. But I’ll get right eventually, ain’t nothing but practice, practice,practice!
My point is focus more on tires and handling, than gearing 4825 rpm will win.

My point is focus more on tires and handling, than gearing 4825 rpm will win.
And what I meant is when I hold the throttle wide open at the pedal the motor will not turn over 4825 ish no matter what…whether it’s on the stand or on the track, I agree with you on the tires and handling but feel as flexed as my chassis is that while more rpms may not help it surely can’t hurt, but that’s what’s practice for, I’ll try a few didn’t setups and gearing to see what this particular engine likes best, like I said this was the first time I ever run otb anything so definitely a learning curve there.

You can move the spring to different holes in the governor arm to alter the surge speed. All those holes are in it because when assembled at the factory they can use them to set their desired surge speed.

Back