Hey

Loose ends for the gold cup class to follow soon

Weight will be 370 lbs

Other major decision to be announce very soon

Peewee. MGM Fab

Looks like we ended up with the following for Gold Cup class:
Minimum Weight: 370
Driveline: Chain or Belt
No Minimum Nose width or Maximum nose height. (this is unfortunate, see next post)

Animal Masters 410
No max kart weight. Age still 40 years competition age in 2015 season

Jack Reall

Now, the reason I believe the Nose issue is unfortunate:
This class was intended to be a crossover class for Gold Cup Racers in Gold Cup chassis. When we (the four cycle road racers) got together to come up with this class, it was to give the opportunity to Gold Cup racers to make small modifications and be able to run on the big tracks in their own class. Unfortunately, we believed their was a nose width rule for the Gold Cup chassis...there was not. So, basically now somebody could show up with and enduro chassis and remove only the full belly pan and qualify for the class. Now we know that a true Gold Cup chassis and body cannot compete on the big tracks with sprint enduro chassis and bodywork. We tried to include a minimum width of 38" rule and maximum nose height of 14" to make sure people ran the Gold Cup bodies, but the trustees felt it was too late to enforce before Daytona. I'm hoping we can get this rule changed before the tech manual printing and before the 2nd and subsequent races of the season in order to comply with the Spirit and Intent of the creation of the class.

"We tried to include a minimum width of 38" rule and maximum nose height of 14" to make sure people ran the Gold Cup bodies, but the trustees felt it was too late to enforce before Daytona."

That bold and underlined - does not make any sense to me at all! The class is being created NOW, Now is the time to set the rule, am I missing something Jack?

Bernie,

I did not understand that either. For that to make sense, there would have to be a mass run of Gold Cup (sprint short track) Regulars running out before Daytona to buy narrow karts with special noses so they could start Road Racing. Thus defeating the intended purpose, as they could then have just ran the other classes.

Then again, I live in Illinois now, and we are all CORNfused out here :D

Mike

Jack,
That is the same ruleset basically that used to be used on "Briggs Day" for the "Gold-Cup" class. In fact, my first trip around Daytona was on my Trick kart right straight from the sprint track. And in years to follow, we saw just what you said, guys taking an enduro kart and removing the belly pan and changing to a chain drive and running. But, remember, most of the "enduro" karts will not meet the maximum wheelbase length for Gold Cup. I don't think that has changed, but I need to look in the book. There also used to be a minimum measurement between the tops of the 2 side panels in the Gold Cup rules that was not in the Enduro rules, but again, I would have to look. Pretty sure some of the nerf bar rules are different also.

Now, just get them to show up. Then we can get picky on the rules.

My name is Jerry Cole WKA trustee District 6 ( Michigan /Ohio ) , currently of 10 trustees, myself and Lee Camerra ,trustee District 9 are the only trustees with a working knowledge of the WKA road racing program. I joined WKA at the very first road race nationals held in 1972 at Road Atlanta and have been a member since then . I also have been an active supporter, participant and sponsor of the WKA Gold Cup series for the past 25 years, and missed very few events . I have been a WKA certified tech. inspector , both 2 and 4 cycle for many years and have conducted many WKA non tech training seminars .

With that being said and after receiving numerous phone calls concerning the new Gold Cup senior pro gas class I realized the rule needed to be cleaned up and more specific. I contacted Jack Reall and we worked out the details and his concerns on body work . The intent of this class is to use a chassis and body work normally used at Gold Cup events .
Gold Cup allows both CIK and WKA bodywork with no minimum width , the most common are the G-Man and M&M bodies .These are offered in both 38" and 42" width depending on the mfg. and made of plastic material . Fiberglass is legal but rarely seen or used and I have never seen any bodywork as used in road race sprint classes at a Gold Cup . Gold Cup rules do have max height rule , Tech Manual page 48 diagram 258.3 , 17" max. We also have a rule TM page 23, 101.5 Spirit and Intent which we will have to depend on for Daytona . The minimum nose width will be addressed at the next trustee meeting ,Jan. 2015 .
The rule for Daytona is as follows :

Pro Gas Senior Gold Cup Final 1 & Final 2
Chassis and bodywork must meet Gold Cup rules
Drive line, 219 or 35 chain and belt drive allowed
Pro Gas motor per WKA tech rules
Dual brake system mandatory
Open tires
Weight , minimum kart and driver as raced 370 lbs.

This kart package would be legal to race in the Animal Modified class as well.

I would like to thank Jack for his assistance on this matter .

I will be at Daytona and have been assigned as the WKA Trustee Rep for the Road Race .
I will be primarily supporting the event staff . I am confident Brandon Taylor , Gene Davis and all the support staff will need very little assistance . I hope to see you all at Daytona and will be available to address any concerns , ideas suggestions .

Thanks
Jerry Cole

Hope everyone is doing well
Dimensions/measurements and Spirit and Intent are 2 different things
Let the Gold Cuppers have there own class on an even playing field
Rookie

Just don`t allow road race body work.........
And its never to late. A year or 2 ago didn`t WKA combine 2 engines in 1 class and made 1 of them ad weight on practice day?

Rookie, that is what we were trying to do with the minimum width and height...eliminate road race bodywork. I agree on your second point.

Back