Daytona and the "New" Gold Cup Class

The intent of the "gold cup" class was in hope to promote some participation essentially an introduction level from this division. The original idea was to provide minimal changes and expenses. With the exception of a dual or redundant brake system for safety I thought we had accomplished that.

Now racers being who they are naturally they read inbetween the lines and find an advantage.

What ever happened and how ever that "spirit and intent" was altered or just plain da'oh! We may never know.

Truly the burden lies on the tech inspector at the track to simply use his best judgment and be forthcoming to step up and say NO - you cannot run that or DQ them if they do.

I wish them well..

When we got together as a group to discuss the changes we wanted. THE prevailing comment was how much we enjoyed the Road Race spirit of helping each other get on the track and competitive. We view each other as friends first and competitors second. IT was in this spirit that we created the Gold Cup class, not so much to "steal" sprint racers for our series, but to expose them to our environment in order to build kart racing. Last year, we had a snafu from outside that created some controversy at Daytona in the 4-cycle ranks. We managed it ourselves to not let it break our group apart and it worked out for the rest of the season. We stuck together because we knew what we had was better than what someone else was trying to make it. I suspect this issue will be the same. When we get together at Daytona, we will police our own group in order to ensure the cool environment we have in the 4-cycle Road Race group is maintained and shared.

See you in 11 days!

CaptJack

If there is any current gold cup racer that would like to race this new "Gold Cup Sr Class" at the Daytona Road Race we have a new House engine we would lone you for this race at no cost and we will cover the shipping. Engine is on the shelf ready to ship now! We also will supply the ( new in development ) oil.

Steve
www.Bakerracingengines.com

CaptJack
You are the BEST!!! And the Animals are a close herd.
If the Jr cuppers come to race, is there an age discrepancy?
I know in the TM you have to be older to road race
It would be great for them to experience Daytona
Rookie

Just a word of advice Jack and Gene, be through on the wording regarding differences between the two chassis style. Karts like Kato came about to circumvent those rules years ago. We have that situation out here and I do believe my Katos would still fit GC rules dimensionally but really are a all out sit up sprinter .

Steve, there is 38" road race bodywork........
Yes, that bodywork I have, which Allen Redman used to sell is 38.25" or 38.5" I'll have to measure it again. Same bodywork style Bob Iverson used to run. I would put it up against 36" bodywork anytime. I do believe it is considerably taller than any "sprint" Gold Cup style bodywork that is available though. So I think with a min width and a max height rule, a majority (if not all) road race bodywork could be excluded from the Gold Cup class. Besides M&M, is there any other sprint kart bodywork still made? Can you still get Gman bodywork? I know Lightning Light told me several years ago they quit making sprint bodywork.

I guess we have a garage, were somewhere around 8 karts now coming in our trailer, ain't loadin that up every night. Some place on the Ocean we have a block of 10 rooms. I assume Ocean Deck is still racing headquarters?

Jamie, I have G Man 38" noses in stock for straight up karts also right & left sides to make up a full body kit . Let me know if you need anything

Jerry Cole
517-449-1230

Back