Dirt to asphalt oval

cbuch

Ok guys. Looking for any input or help. My son & I have 2 years experience on dirt ovals. We are kicking around the idea of trying some asphalt oval in 2016. Wanted to get an idea of what we're getting into. Is it as easy as buying a couple sets of tires & some chassis changes & go race? Sounds like yellow Vegas are the tire of choice, if open tire rule. I believe I read 6" tire & rims on left side , & 10" tire & rims the right side. Also, we live in northwest Ohio. If you know of tracks within a couple hours, I would like names of tracks & any info you could tell me on the track. Oh & we are running the LO206. Thanks in advance for any help.

sounds like your on the right track. i cant give u a list of tracks because im not from Ohio. but most asphalt tracks are running clones (box stock) but im sure someone there would have an animal class . a very hard and dry daytime set up should get u in the ball park set up wise. also there are two yellow vegas one for dirt and one for asphalt. do not use the dirt yellow. it will chew the tires up. if u want to the pink maxxis can work after being rolled with inside and scuffed but is not ideal. from what ive seen bridgestone and burris are also good choices. if allowed use a nonaggressive tire prep to keep the tires conditioned. . u dont want to drop the compound too much just a couple points. finally a warning to the driver. the gforces u will feel are much stronger then any dirt track and the kart will respond to changes differnty then on dirt. good luck with your venture

There is only one yellow Vega....just a thick and thin right side (use the thick), all lefts are thin, no prep, and heat gun scrap them everytime they come off the track. You would really only need one set of tires to start, most times we never change them on raceday. 99% of the time Vegas cant be beat. 6 to 6.5" left side times....I like a thinner rim on left rear so the tire isnt as wide. A thin wall axle isnt a bad idea either.

I run mostly dirt and occasional asphalt. Luckily I have another chassis I was setting up for asphalt and specifically run a 206 only on asphalt. Vega's are almost definitely the tire of choice, almost brand new out of the package they are fast, but I suggest scuffing them and let them sit a month. Firestones and Hoosiers are pretty good besides that, Maxxis are junk, Burris are junk, Unilli are junk. Never seen Kings around here, so can't say. This is specifically for asphalt!

The typical oval setup for us is
4.50 on a 6X6.50 wheel for the left front.
4.50 on a 6x6 wheel for the left rear.
Then 800's on 10's for the rights.

This should get your stagger the same as most dirt racers run, 1.50, and 1, and can adjust the rear per track. IF you absolutely know for sure you need more stagger, you can mount the LR on a 6.50 wheel and it will get your that 1.50 in the rear and can swell if you only need 1.25. Only difference is you will have to adjust your track width per the wheel you decide to run. A 600 will make the kart WAY too tight for asphalt if you ever get any grip, and you'll struggle and be quite slow.

If you prep, I wouldn't wipe much of anything on the outside, and use a VERY VERY non-aggressive prep inside. As far as kart setup, as snow mentioned above should get your close. The biggest thing will be adjusting rear tread width to match your new smaller LR.

Asphlalt oval tracks are hard to find, asphalt oval running LO206 might be even harder. But you can run animal classes with an LO206. There was a midwest oval series (MAOS) but I believe it has been cancelled.

I searched asphalt oval tracks within 250 miles of Akron (seems to be in N/W Ohio?). Result was four tracks

Now there are a couple of sprint places that run an asphalt oval occasionally. TNT kartways is one example that I can think of, but that's .

Kartington is one of the tracks I located. Some others were fremont, Midvale, G&J kartway, & Baerfield. SKHMotorsports71 , you ever run kartington ?

Sweet. What can u tell me ? I think 1/7 mile ? Some where to start on stagger ? 206 class ? I was looking you guys up earlier. Thanks. I think we are 2 1/2 hours from you . Camping @ the track ? Oh, tire rule ?

Kartington is one of the tracks I located. Some others were fremont, Midvale, G&J kartway, & Baerfield. SKHMotorsports71 , you ever run kartington ?

No but I have been there when they have ran..They are a great group of people! If you have a craving for some winter racing check out BMI They have vids on utube It used to be dirt now it is concrete but very high banked and fast! They are in ohio also Not exactly sure where though. I beleive it is NW like Vesailles or somthing like that.

Yes sir it's a 1/7 mile I have an older offset I run 1 1/2 and 2" stagger as far as I know it'll still be open tire rule,, yes they let you camp I run clone a lot of guys run a 15t driver I run 16/ 60-62 ,, SKH I haven't had enough courage to try bmi that place is cool but I'm too old to try it

Thanks for the input guys. If you have anymore, I would be glad to hear it. Anyone else ? This section needs a little more discussion. Let's hear it. Thanks !

What chassis are you running, maybe someone can give you a good asphalt base line.

And yeah, I suggest a shoulder strap regardless did asphalt. I'd like to try some good concrete racing, be very interested but none really close to me I don't think. Or at least that I know about.

Razortech, 1 1/2" front , 2" rear ? My son runs a Nemesis. I run an Icon. Kartington little banking ? Shoulder strap , check. BMI is in Versailles. Looks fast. Im thinkin, we should start on a small flat track. Like Fremont & Baerfield (Indiana), 1/10th mile.

Razortech, 1 1/2" front , 2" rear ? My son runs a Nemesis. I run an Icon. Kartington little banking ? Shoulder strap , check. BMI is in Versailles. Looks fast. Im thinkin, we should start on a small flat track. Like Fremont & Baerfield (Indiana), 1/10th mile.

You will be fine at Kartington. wide open no walls great place to start..plus you should have a lot more grip on asphalt than dirt...Make a good tire choice! Just make sure you do your homework and you will be fine! You are off to a good start now so just keep asking questions about tires, setup and gear and you will be ok!

Yes on the stagger I'm on an 07 mongoose, I don't use a shoulder strap,but I'm looking into to getting one,, the feature is 20-25 laps SKH is right on kartington,the people are great,for the most part everyone runs clean and hard

On dirt , we use L.S. prep. Some one mentioned a little prep if any. So L.S. 1 would probably be the choice. Do I need a heat gun & scraper for oval ? Do I need to resurface asphalt tires like dirt tires ?
Do you guys Know if any of the tracks mentioned run a LO206 package or plan to next year ? I saw Jackson (Michigan) plans to next year. Looks like a nice 1/5th mile track. Probably to big & fast for us early on, & 3 hours away. Maybe when we get some experience. We can check it out.

Back