Florida AllStars race #3 Volusia Speedway April 12

With all these great racers behind me you all can probably see why I wouldn't move over. Hell I was ahead of champions! Only had to hold them off for 3 or 4 laps. Seemed like a good Hopurtunity for me!:cool:

With all these great racers behind me you all can probably see why I wouldn't move over. Hell I was ahead of champions! Only had to hold them off for 3 or 4 laps. Seemed like a good Hopurtunity for me!:cool:

Your not required to move over Hoppy. Just be glad it was Troy directly behind you and not Howe. Lol. Just a thought.

I have previously received the Howe tap of love. Knocked me up and out of my seat 12 inches. My second All Star race. Personally I think it is to easy to run into the back of someone and use them up as a brake. It is a clever ploy but not without consequences. (See finish of last weeks race) On the other hand if you can get to my bumper and give me a push coming from the apex on out of the turn then you really are faster than me. Give me a push and see if it moves me up into the marbles. It is only a foot or so out of the groove. But if all you did was use me to slow down that isn't right. Of course you can go in deeper if you get to use my bumper (and brakes) to slow you down. If you are faster in and out of the turn you should be able to get right on my bumper and give me the push off the apex that you need to get around. That of course requires real skill. Not some self accreditation of skill that allot of drivers give themselves these days.

BTW there were "two" lines on the straights. Seems like that is where the passing should have been attempted. Don't understand why if someone is so much faster than the guy in front that he doesn't get up on the inside of them going into the turn. Perhaps it was because they couldn't. This would suggest that one kart is fast off the turns and another is fast going into the turns. Drivers make choices with setups. Sometimes fast out works sometimes fast in works.

I think in Nascar the accepted principle is if I can push you from the middle of the turn on then a push or a nudge is ok. A bump going into the turn is going to get your crew in a fight.

If its just about whose Kart is faster then lets quit racing and just do time trials. Then of course the fastest kart will always win! See how much fun that is.
Some comments here seem to suggest that the fastest Kart should win every race. Thank goodness it doesn't always work that way.

My view,

Hoppy

The best forced pass of all is to push them thru apex and out of the turn using thier left corner to move them up high and out of the driving line. If done with finess not brute force the guy in front doesnt oversteer and he wiggles a little in the marbles and drops backs back down in the line and continues, its a true work of art. Intentially Using your kart as a battering ram into the corner is stupid and nothing but a cheap shot dirty driving thats why Nascar guys get so mad about it. I wish there were more dirt tracks where rim riding was possible I like driving the high line just hardly ever happens. Sometimes at our local track when its tacky we can ride high and handsome, carring a ton of momentium and blow the doors off the catfish,what a blast. Sure hope the wife and I get to take a vacation about Daytona time next year and i can come race with all the big DOGS in Florida,I know I can still get off the porch and run.

On one occasion, at DD, several years ago, I witnessed what I'd consider the perfect touch and pass.
Coming off turn 2, the overtaker came thru the corner close to the bumper of the leading kart.
As they came off, overtaker pushed the lead kart so gently, is was like a little kiss. The lead kart just slid up maybe 3 feet, which
left the overtaker a lane to pass in.

I checked with the driver of the passed kart, after the race, regarding that incident. He was not aware that he had even been touched
by the following kart. It was the most perfect touch and go, I ever saw in karting.
I never told him that he had been gently kissed, by the overtaking kart.

A racer, on the fence beside me, saw it and told me that was the finest touch and pass he'd ever seen in karting.
Now THAT was some skillful driving.

Man ya'll show know how to beat on a dead dog....LOL

Entertaining to say the least.......

Oh I don't know. Your comment probably will kill this thread but I have no doubt that the topic of using the bumper to move a kart will resurface allot this year and every year. That doesn't sound like much of s dead dog. Just saying. OK guys back to a quiet forum .

Cool, I understand all that. There's been a lot of "other" conversations on this thread, just wanted to get it kinda back on topic :p

Back