Florida AllStars race #3 Volusia Speedway April 12

The whole point is the only reason Wayne Howe got to my bumper was because after I came from the back I was giving hoppy respect, from now on by the way everyone else seems to view it, it will make it easier on me and more acceptable to move you, so from now on I will give one bump to let you know I'm there, then I will move you. Hell that will make it easier to win for me, I should have thought of that earlier. Lol

When your track conditions are such that there's only one line or a trip to the fence. A notable shot to the bumper is and always has been a signal your holding up traffic. That's just the way it is. If you receive a multiple notifications you'd either better be prepared to be moved or you better get on the gas.

That is not allowed in the UAS!! They are gentlemen ;) it is not ok to move a slower kart from holding up traffic! I heard this from people (Mark) after the Nats last year!! It sure is funny how sometimes somethings are ok and sometimes they are not!! Just an observation from a former UAS racer.....

But the key words were "track conditions". Track conditions in Florida are usually entirely different than those of the north. :)

they are different all over the country and makes no difference what is expected from UAS racers should be expected everywhere!!! not well we felt that the track was in bad shape today and its ok this time! thats wrong! but almost to be expected... sad but true!

That is not allowed in the UAS!! They are gentlemen ;) it is not ok to move a slower kart from holding up traffic! I heard this from people (Mark) after the Nats last year!! It sure is funny how sometimes somethings are ok and sometimes they are not!! Just an observation from a former UAS racer.....

Mark Bergfelt has expressed his concerns and view points you can except it or not. All the UAS series are run by their individual administrators. We all have what's known as local options. That gives us freedom and leeway to make our own judgement calls innovations interpretations ect . that's the UAS way. I'm interested in racing in the real world. That means there will be tempers last minute judgements bad calls good calls. Guys who get out of line will be directed back in line.

We all have to work with tracks rules and intent. Intent is where its at. Mistakes happen but what was the intent?.

Mark would like to see everyone never touch just go race and have fun. That's fine for a local PA sat nite with a bunch of friends 20 years ago. But today we've built this into a national venue. Stakes are higher. Desire to be champion has more meaning more clout. Its a different world now . Mark knows this and turned the rained over to a committee that's well aware of the real world.

There allot of guyscwith opinions but very few who step up and deal with the issues day in day out. I have nothing but respect for Mark for keeping this whole deal alive for over 20 years. Good or bad its still here.

The whole point is the only reason Wayne Howe got to my bumper was because after I came from the back I was giving hoppy respect, from now on by the way everyone else seems to view it, it will make it easier on me and more acceptable to move you, so from now on I will give one bump to let you know I'm there, then I will move you. Hell that will make it easier to win for me, I should have thought of that earlier. Lol

Oh BTW Troy. Wayne was at the very least just as fast as you sat. He was actually to your rear bumper the entire run. Way before you guys got to Hoppy . no doubt in my mind he was in the mind set he could win also. There are ways to move guys without wrecking them or caving in the rear bumper. If you want a example check out Mike Nicosia's pass on Shay Chavous at Daytona. More than once I've picked up a sudden mysterious push in the center of the corner only to realize it was Mike causing and being the push. Never felt him touch me he was just there.

The whole intent of this conversion was to bring forth the real truth about dirt racing. There is a racers agreemant that if you are given a several notices that you are holding someone up then either be a good racer and let them pass or be ready to do sum bumping and grinding. Its up to the guy in front to make the decision on what going to happen. If hes a good fair racer and he knows the guys all over him he will move if not he will get moved. The intent is not that you can just crash anyone ahead of you and if you do you should be parked. This is a give and take situation everyone needs to know the terms and this should be practiced on all tracks. Nobody wants to give up a spot thats why were racers,but fair is fair and blocking is just a much a cheap shot as taking someone out on purpose. If a guy slips in one corner and I catch him that doesnt give me the right to take him out, but if Iam all over him all the way around the track and hes blocking then I gonna give him a few bumps to move and if he doesnt iam gonna move him. Thats the difference Iam talking about, good clean driving from front and back.

Now! Now! There is a rule Known as local option, don't get your panties in a wad ! This was not a national event and the local Adim. made the call thats the end of it!!!!

In the FAS then, what kart contact will be allowed during "go time" which would earn a caution, or a rolled black flag during the first 18 laps.....of a 20 lap race?

One other quick comment.......when making a pass, it is the responsibility of the driver making the pass, to make it a clean pass.
Obviously the kart being passed must maintain his line.

In the FAS then, what kart contact will be allowed during "go time" which would earn a caution, or a rolled black flag during the first 18 laps.....of a 20 lap race?

One other quick comment.......when making a pass, it is the responsibility of the driver making the pass, to make it a clean pass.
Obviously the kart being passed must maintain his line.

I'm not sure if I understand your confusion PD. are you asking for a laundry list of what if's? if so you'll be very disappointed. It's the responsibility of all the drivers to maintain control of their karts. Any and all contact will be reviewed based on intent. BTW the feature was 12 laps so I can't answer your question LOL.

As for your confusion about "Go time" a racer setting a pace with 0 challenge in front or behind may find himself in no particular need of altering their pace. On the other hand when pressure to perform to either over take another racer due to closing laps of the event or keep from being over taken, you may find pressure to increase your pace and or effort. Other wise known to those who actually race as "Go Time"
Hope this helps any confusion PD.

Troy no worries lol.

Congratulations to Heath Dorn on his first FAS event win. Heath his wife and kids, one bad to the bone sonic 125 built by TS racing

Write up still to come

Well well "I" have caused quite a controversy here.

The question seems to be should Troy have punted me or should I have moved over.

Let me share what was going through my mind at the time. First off I was experiencing carb problems due to some dirt in carb. This caused the kart to be quite a handful during both heat races. I ended up off the track and near the back at the finish of both heats. Prior to the feature I decided to rebuild the carbs and discovered the dirt in the fuel pickup "bowl".

So that put me in the 8th starting position. Brad moved to the back on the start which put me in the third row outside (6th). On the restart I quickly noticed confusion. The corner worker was waving yellow but the field was tightning up for a restart and the flagman had flag in hand as though he was going to throw the green if we bunched up. As luck would have he did throw the green yet Troy didn't expect it. I quickly and with great skill took advantage of his gaffe. Before the 2nd turn I had gone from 6th to 2nd. As you can imagine I couldn't believe my good fortune. I immediately understood that the start was going to be controversial, yet here I was in 2nd. With a clean running carb I was making some pretty good laps. Heath was quickly pulling away and I had no idea how close the field was behind me. On lap six or seven I really started to feel the pressure. I was nervous yet the adrenaline had kicked in. I was in 2nd place....wow. So Troy moved up on my inside several times over the next few laps. My line got better. I was thinking about how fast we were going and I sure didn't want to slip up in front of all these guys thinking it would have been one hell of a mess. On lap 9, 10 and 11 Troy showed me that he was there. I really did think about moving over but then I thought I've only got to hold them off for 3 more laps, Then it was 2 more laps. When they waved that white flag I have to admit their was no way I was moving over. It was game on. I knew there was a bump and a push on the way. I set myself up to come off the turns low and as smooth and fast as I could. That way if I got bumped possibly I would still be in the groove of the track and not get pushed up around or out of the way.

So should I have moved up or not and let those guys faster go around.

I say no.

1. I would have been doing that the rest of my career with you guys. Called being scared. "Don't want the moniker that "if you want to pass Hoppy just go touch his bumper"

2. It was only a 12 lap race. Had this been a 30 lap race and I was holding up the field on lap 12 then I most certainly would have moved over.

That said congratulations to Heath Dorn. Heath you drove a great race and deserved the win. How cool for the family to be their to see it!!

Hoppy

Here's my two cents worth.

If you are faster than the guy in front of you pass him. If you are beating on his bumper change your line and figure a way around him. If you can't get around him then you aren't faster so back off his back bumper. If my bumper is getting beat on in the turn hold on cause I'm going to brake check you and we both will be watching from the infield. I wasn't taught to race that way and I won't race that way but I also won't sit there and let my kart get beat on like we are in a clone race.

Just my view like it or not

Frankie

Hoppy you did fine, in the future you may feel some rubbing from behind then again you may drive like you did at Dirt Devils and win the next go round, who knows. My suggestion to those who are in question do what Frankie says and what Troy did. find a away to pass without wrecking the guy your trying to pass. If you think the bumper is a move over tool we'll remove those pesky tools and see who can drive open wheel karts.:rolleyes:

I am joking by the way, it's all good, hey mike I won my heat and you didn't congratulate me lol. It's ok Ron did. Lol

Sorry about that. I didn't know you won the other one, i haven't seen any results. Just got piece's of the story. Congrats on your heat win. But it's still more of a surprise that Ron won one. lol

Having raced with alot of these guys, I will not move, you can move me if you can, likewise I will do the same, it's racing, sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield..

With that being said, I plan on making a trip to run with you guys this year,.. can't wait.. love the pound..

I will also say, I wasn't in agreement with the call made at the first Lasoski National.. it was bs... just sayin..

On a one line track where it is impossible to go high and pass someone without loopin it or testing the fence, what are you suppose to do. I would always rather make a great pass on the outside. The guy in front of me is holding his line but is much slower than me and wont give an inch like Azcr says, anit abot to move. This is when its time for the ol bump and grind, i will give them a good push and a few love taps if that dont work then Ill push them all the way thru the corner and see if they can hold thier line then. I dont think taking anyone out is right but how long do you have to follow someone thats a lot slower that you just because they can hold thier line???Is that dirty driving or is the guy holding you up driving dirty, I dont think either one is its called hard racing and thats what makes it so much fun.Guy in front is thinking theres no way this gut getting around me even if hes faster, guy in back thinking he really holding me up I could be two or three spots futher forward by now if he wasnt in the way. As far as go time to me thats when the green flag drops, i drive balls to the wall from lap one to the last lap that the only way to do it, you cant follow someone around all racebieing polite then move them over and try to go like hell the last few laps and expect to win. I agree with Azcr bout the call at nationals total BS

I dont think taking anyone out is right but how long do you have to follow someone thats a lot slower that you just because they can hold thier line???Is that dirty driving or is the guy holding you up driving dirty
don’t lie, of course you think it’s right, that’s what your whole post is about. You just want somebody to ease your conscience and say it’s okay.

If there’s anything inherently wrong with karting, it’s people with your attitude.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back