Front rim position

bullerman

Is it common for most karts to have the front rims close to the spindle arm? I was thinking I had read the edge of the rim should be over the spindle bolt.
Should both front wheels be spaced about the same to start with?
I belive i need another right front rim with more back spacing. Picture is right front wheel.

Attachments

• 20221017_105850.jpg
    20221017_105850.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 99
Should be just clear of the steering arm. That looks like 3/4" plus
Are all there any spacers on the inside .
Some older rims had odd spacing .

There are no spacers on the inside. The hub is as far in as it will go.
On the castor it is rear line on the frame and big line on the castor block. This is a 2014 Prowler frame. It is supposed to be what it comes from the factory with. I need to get both front wheels in. We have to run grooved tires.

Got me a new wheel with 4" back spacing. Both wheels are in close now and are right I think.
I was fooling with the kart at my house today. Working with the clutch and gearing. Running it on a asphalt road. I noticed the kart was darting really bad at speed. Haven't noticed it that bad on the track. I do run grooves maybe that is what it was. Don't think it does that on the dirt.

I believe that. It wasn't doing that on dirt or if it was it wasn't anything like that. I haven't changed anything castor, camber or toe so hopefully it was just the surface. Thanks

Post a picture of the castor block/lines. Multiple guys have voiced concerns of what appears to be you running negative castor or not near enough. The Top of the kingpin should be behind the bottom

Let me take some good pictures and I will post them. This is 2014 Prowler. It only has one pin on the castor block. I am using the rear mark on the frame. I use the big mark on the castor block and the mark on the frame. I think this is 7 and 10 degrees of castor from the factory. The kart really turns hard left on its own.

Attachments

• 20220817_103233.jpg
    20220817_103233.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220817_103139.jpg
    20220817_103139.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20221031_175859.jpg
    20221031_175859.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 77
Only way to really know caster is to measure it.

Set kart on ground in as raced condition. Set an angle finder against the front of the spindle barrel. That will be the as raced angle.

There are apps for your phone, if you don't have an angle finder.

There may be 2 holes in the frame bracket, seeing as that is where the 2 lines are. That way they will correspond.

Nothing looks out of the ordinary from my perspective. The only thing you may have is a little tire rub on the spindle arm from sidewall deflection if you're running really low tire pressure on a track with decent grip.

Let me take some good pictures and I will post them. This is 2014 Prowler. It only has one pin on the castor block. I am using the rear mark on the frame. I use the big mark on the castor block and the mark on the frame. I think this is 7 and 10 degrees of castor from the factory. The kart really turns hard left on its own.
Have to be in the forward location, and use the front line for caster, rear position on the prowler is for super small high bite tracks

The track is not super small. Around 575 around the groove and is not high bite in my opinion.
You think I should use the front line on the frame and line the big line up on the castor block it it. How much castor will that give me then.
So I want to lengthen the right side. On the frame I have a small Allen head bolt that is used for location of the castor block. It is in the rear position. I need to move it to the front position and use the front line on the frame.

The track is not super small. Around 575 around the groove and is not high bite in my opinion.
You think I should use the front line on the frame and line the big line up on the castor block it it. How much castor will that give me then.
So I want to lengthen the right side. On the frame I have a small Allen head bolt that is used for location of the castor block. It is in the rear position. I need to move it to the front position and use the front line on the frame.
Yes.
Caster may be 8/10, but in the front location and the marks lined up will be the factory caster settings

Going to post two pictures. One in this post and one in the next one. Won't let me post more than one. This is where the pin location is on the right front.

Back