Getting into the tire prep game.

Ducar 212

I've just gotten started in racing, basically last year was a go out and learn while getting your ass kicked type year. I've done alot of research on tire prep, cause I'm new to it. I'm running yellow Vegas, and I have 1 set of burris 33s. I put together a tire roller for pretty cheap. Anyone have any advice on what to roll vegas with internally? I've heard at miller raceway (the track I run most) yellow Vegas can blister or go away from heat buildup. I guess the duro on them is good for out there. I've just heard that you can't or shouldn't internally roll a tire more than once. I definitely need some advice. Thanks

I've just gotten started in racing, basically last year was a go out and learn while getting your ass kicked type year. I've done alot of research on tire prep, cause I'm new to it. I'm running yellow Vegas, and I have 1 set of burris 33s. I put together a tire roller for pretty cheap. Anyone have any advice on what to roll vegas with internally? I've heard at miller raceway (the track I run most) yellow Vegas can blister or go away from heat buildup. I guess the duro on them is good for out there. I've just heard that you can't or shouldn't internally roll a tire more than once. I definitely need some advice. Thanks
I'd Say it would be well worth your time to call someone from here that you've read there responses a good bit and you at least think you'd be comfortable speaking with , By NO Means do I consider myself a Tire GURU Like some of the tire guy's on here , However I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a few times and have learned a little , Feel Free to call me 717 712 3437 Ken , I know EARL at So Co Tire Treatments would gladly take your call . As well as Brian Carlson would gladly take your call there contact Info is all over this site .
Where is Miller Raceway ?

Feel free to give us a call as well.
We've done plenty of tires (and preps) for guys running @ Millers.
2 ounces of Pink Panther in the right sides, 1 ounce in the lefts. Wipe a coat of Monster Bite as PRW before going to the grid and hang on.
You can re-roll them if needed, but it's not something you do every week -- probably after 10-12 weeks of racing on those tires (if they live that long.)
We'd be glad to help you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Feel free to give us a call as well.
We've done plenty of tires (and preps) for guys running @ Millers.
2 ounces of Pink Panther in the right sides, 1 ounce in the lefts. Wipe a coat of Monster Bite as PRW before going to the grid and hang on.
You can re-roll them if needed, but it's not something you do every week -- probably after 10-12 weeks of racing on those tires (if they live that long.)
We'd be glad to help you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Thanks for your help! I am getting quite a bit of prep on Friday and pink panther is one of them. It's a guy selling what he has left and there is one called black bite, also black sand, and quite a few others that are duro droppers. Alot of "green formula" which I asked him about. I guess most green preps are the same? One was krugs green, and the other was Lee's green. Anyways I'm getting a good deal on it. I'm sure I'll give you a call as well.

Thanks for your help! I am getting quite a bit of prep on Friday and pink panther is one of them. It's a guy selling what he has left and there is one called black bite, also black sand, and quite a few others that are duro droppers. Alot of "green formula" which I asked him about. I guess most green preps are the same? One was krugs green, and the other was Lee's green. Anyways I'm getting a good deal on it. I'm sure I'll give you a call as well.
Watch the black bite, few different kinds of it..
Welch's black bite is totally different than Venom

I'd be impressed to see a blistered tire of any brand on DIRT... if you can generate so much heat and grip you're blistering it on dirt, I'm not convinced it needs any prep at all... Now if they're calling the normal graining of a tire "blistering" and misusing the term, that's another story. IMO, most tires on dirt don't get driven to their true operating temperature and therefore never work as intended. So, I'd much rather have a tire operating in its' proper design window than learn a bunch of voodoo chemistry and black magic to try to guess a tire into a band-aid fix. This is why I'm in favor of OPEN TIRE RULES. So, since you're mentioning different brands, is Millers OPEN TIRE RULE?

^ Yes, Millers is open tire. Vega Yellows work best there. Low/no bite surface. No one is "blistering" tires on the track, but there are folks torching goat or green in them.
Our prep approach is considerably different than the harsh chemical approach.

True statement that all "Black Bite" preps are not the same.
FTS has an aggressive PRW called Black Bite that is often confused with ours but is totally different and used in a totally different way. We still offer our original Black Bite, but we currently prefer our Black Bite 2.0 which is a slight variation in the formula that makes it more user friendly.

Feel free to give us a call at the shop for more info on any of our preps.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Pretty common to feather vegas there.
1000001968.jpg

I consider that perfect feathering / graining. It means the tire is doing its' job and reaching the proper temp.
This is an example of overworking:
1708092146013.png

I'd be impressed to see a blistered tire of any brand on DIRT... if you can generate so much heat and grip you're blistering it on dirt, I'm not convinced it needs any prep at all... Now if they're calling the normal graining of a tire "blistering" and misusing the term, that's another story. IMO, most tires on dirt don't get driven to their true operating temperature and therefore never work as intended. So, I'd much rather have a tire operating in its' proper design window than learn a bunch of voodoo chemistry and black magic to try to guess a tire into a band-aid fix. This is why I'm in favor of OPEN TIRE RULES. So, since you're mentioning different brands, is Millers OPEN TIRE RULE?
It is in the open class I am running.
Yeah you are probably right, he is using the term wrong, he said he went to vega whites to try and prevent that. I thought the same thing when he said they would blister, I thought that sounded pretty crazy

Back