Going from I-racing to Karting

rlslmshdy

Ive got a friend that I-races. Hes interested in getting into kart racing. Im not that familiar with I-racing. I know he'll have to learn about tires/tire prep. What about setting up his chassis and adjustments at the track? Will his knowledge of setups and track adjustments work for karting also. Ill let him know about this thread so he can see everyones responses.

i love sim racing don't get me wrong, but really the only thing that transfers over is like kyle said steering control (and even then its not the same seat of the pants feel). if i racing had the kart track he was planning to race it would give a great feel for the track and the line (this is why the pros use it). most setup items are not going to be relevant either due to the vast differences of a car setup vs a kart setup. Hopefully the number on thing anybody that races sim (i-racing) takes to a real track is racing etiquette, but from my experience i-racing doesn't have a lot of that either unless your in a good league.

if he can actually set up a real race car, yes the physics of setups will convert over for the most part. A kart is rigid no springs or diff to help it turn. Tires and chassis flex become your springs, run offset and bigger right sides to over come the lack of a differential, weight transfer (grip) is in the tires instead of the shock package.

I don't see a lot transferring, having set up a lot of race cars and karts . Apples and oranges to me . Some fundamentals are the same, but the methods and approachs different in some ways . As mentioned, some steering control may transfer .

If he has knowledge of setting up any kind of car for round track racing it can mostly be applied it is just setup different from stock cars. U look at scaling in different and toe different compared to stock cars but alot of the other thi gs can and will apply

Specific knowledge that he's gained on setups will likely not help him. In fact, it may hinder since karts behave differently to cars for a series of reasons outlined above.
He will benefit somewhat in terms of the process of setup development and tuning. I.e. making changes, observing the difference, taking notes.

Otherwise skills like
Situational awareness and observation
Focus
Speed sensitivity & trying different lines
importance of keeping momentum up
Track\racing etiquette
Passing technique

Can transfer over.

Typically most simmers spend a lot of time adapting to real world forces, noises and bumps first before they are able to re-access those skills.

once you are out of the lower leagues of iracing and into c class and above, the etiquette is much better. The setups won't match for the reasons listed above, but i think if you understand how it works in iracing, it will fasttrack you in learning it in real life.

Making the transition alone will be difficult. If he has a reference he can depend upon for knowledge, not just setups, he'll be fine. You can't teach "want to".

I came from the pro series in iRacing and it was a wake up call to actually get in a kart. He is gonna have to throw almost everything out of the window as far as feel goes. Learn to rely on forces from the kart. Also he may need a little bit of time to learn to drive it hard. I know that being able to push it to the limit is what held me back for a while.

i luv iracing its a cheaps mans way into racing with out having to worry about everything else but i would spend alot of time at your local kart track or indoor kart track befor you decide to step into a real racing kart cause it wont be good.

ive raced big cars for 7 years and got into karting with my nephews and its not as easy as you think tires/prep having the right prep is key to running up front to running in the back and having a good motor is another good key.

but if you want to go from spending 60$ a year on iracing to go race karts and spend 3k just in a new kart 1k just in a motor that has to be rebuilt after 5 to 10 races and another 300 on a good set of tires that last maybe 4 or 5 races oh and dont forget the amount of money your going to spend on tire preps that work or dont work and a hot box so well im dont venting while at work i hope this helps or at least opens sum eyes on guys who think karting is easy and cheap
Merry Christmas

Also, in IRacing the guy you had the dust up with on the track can't tackle you in the scale shed. +1 for real racing!

I've been told many times and have witnessed as well...

In general kart guys CAN setup race cars (very well). Car guys are CLUELESS when it comes to karts.

Many moons ago I did the kart setup for Jeff Gordon's car tuner.

I had a car guy tell me that the balance from front to rear on the kart, MUST be 50/50.
He would not believe how wrong he was.

My experience with kart guys, going to cars, was that they had to relearn everything, and wished that they had never done setup on karts.
Takes all kinds, I guess. ;)

edit up front: I did a google search on 'I' racing and dirt. I found those at 'I' racing don't do dirt because it's too tuff for them to do. Not knowing about 'I' racing I wrote what is below not knowing LTO dirt was not included 'I' racing. I think what I wrote is good and it might apply to 'I' paved oval racing, so I'm not deleting it and leaving it here hoping the last two questions I asked might generate discussion. I think the over all jist of what I wrote about 'I' racing and racing not relating exactly to each other might be a valid point for why 'I' racing setup does not transfer to racing.

edit just behind up front ... :) I found this I racing setup guide, seems like a good read: http://membersmedia.iracing.com/pdfs/iRacing_Setup_Guide.pdf

What makes a car fast 'I' racing?

What makes a car fast racing?

Are discussions to put a good baseline setup on the track and fix on track problems to go fast with a real car, based on the same reality as 'I' racing?

The reality of racing is how what your racing needs to be used to go fast, weather it's 'I' racing or racing. Setup for racing is done by matching how what your racing is used with available grip and the hp you have available. It's done to make what your racing able to operate in the most efficient way.

When you input your setup 'I' racing what is it you have to match up with, in order to be fast?

When racing you have to match up using your available hp with available grip, at every place around the track efficiently. There are three basic types of race cars. Those with a differential rear end and all the combinations of a limited slip differential, those with a solid axle or no differential, and those with a solid axle and stagger. Each of the three types will be used differently braking, turning and accelerating. Racing and knowing how to race remain the same between the three. Setting up each of the three will be different, because each of the three use tires differently around the track.

Unless those who program 'I' racing understand how each of the three different types of cars need to be used and have programmed to match each type of car to reality, there becomes a fourth type of reality and car. When you setup to 'I' race your setting up to match with the made up racing reality of a programmer. The physics written into the program if correct will be the same as reality for each of the three types of cars. But I doubt how a car in a made up programmed reality needs to be used to be fast, will transfer to how real cars need to be used.

I have an 'I' racing question.

When you have an on track problem 'I' racing, do you fix the problem by changing how your tires interact with the track based on how they need to be used, or do you make adjustments you think or know from playing experience will fix the problem?

And then the same question racing.

When you have an on track problem racing, do you fix the problem by changing how your tires interact with the track based on how they need to be used, or do you make adjustments you think or know from racing experience will fix the problem?

Last edited:
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I thought I'd relate my personal experience in transitioning from simulated racing to real racing (as well as kart setups vs. car setups).

It's harder than it looks. (Might be getting some smiles from experienced real racers here.)

Unless your simulation program is extremely accurate and handles a lot of variables, it doesn't compare to real racing. Not that it's bad, it's just that it is very difficult to account for all of the things real life throws at you. Add in weather, and dirt surfaces that can change quickly and drastically, and the simulation gets left in the dust. The simulator can give you an idea what real racing is like, but it can also teach you a few bad habits (things that work in the simulation but not in real life).

As already posted, kart setups are usually very different from car setups. Mainly because cars have springs and shock absorbers and several links involved in their suspensions. Karts just have flex in the tires as well as some spring rate built into the chassis. Centers of gravity and moment arms are completely different too. But simulations can teach you something about how to experiment with settings.

I tried to help a rookie Legends car driver get a handle on setups… we kept bucking heads because he wanted to use setup ideas he’d learned from a NASCAR racing game. Although that game was considered one of the best at that time, it convinced him that you could never get too much cross… even though setups like that made his Legends car push like a dump truck. When he wasn’t looking I found that more of my kart setup experience worked on that Legends car than my Late Model setup experience did – due to the differences in suspension designs and weight. But each vehicle needs its own special tweaks, including tweaks for individual tracks and drivers. So the most I hope to learn from a simulation is a process to zero in on the best tweaks.

Again, I’m not bashing simulators. They can be a lot of fun for what they can do… but you’re playing them while stationary in a comfortable cocoon. Real world racing is more thrilling – you get the bumps and bruises and dirt in your face. Try it and you’ll see what I mean.

Back