Hemi vs none hemi on predator

I am only asking because changing heads seems to be a process that others are doing. I am aware that rules are different on this engine from track to track but I saw nowhere in any of the above posts where it stated that it was legal to change heads. This is your post: "we ran Corinth Ms this weekend first time we ran a "box stock" class rules were small pipe with muffler, stk fuel tank or top plate... chain guard, $150 claim." My question was based on that statement. If there was a rule that stated swapping of parts from engine to engine okay then I would have never asked the question. I think that Marv power also felt the same way there for the reason for his post

never seen one with a small pipe and fuel pump either... rules said predator 212cc... 10.8 springs $150 claim they actually called it a "predator class" I guess you didn't read the rules so once again you speak without facts or information... you need to quit you are falling fast... think it was mark twain who said...."one thing to be thought an idiot... another to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Don... it was actully called a "predator class 212cc" it was not officially called "box stock" it's just what people were calling it... just said stock parts... predator.. 212cc was about 2/3 hemi the rest were hemi blocks with non-hemi heads... only saw i non hemi block... mine was built from blown up engine parts... used a block with a hole in it... (epoxied with HF epoxie) the crank from the rod that went through said block i posted a pic of it before and after i polished back to life... i used the same piston with a chunk out of one skirt... old bearings I clean up... even used seals... and used 10.8 springs in a head that had 100's of laps on it... I think I was way inside the spirit of cheap racing rules was almost hoping someone would give me $150 for it...
Don you didn't call someone cheating... Marv did...

Places do have different rules for the Predator . Depending on where you race , rules specifically state that both versions of the Predator are legal to use , but you cannot mix and match parts from one to the other . Then other places are just a must be a Predator motor . And then we have the Ducar 212 . Get the popcorn ready !!!!

The Head and the valve cover is different between a Hemi and a non Hemi. I will look tomorrow at the 2 I have in my shop and see if the block itself has any different appearances

The Head and the valve cover is different between a Hemi and a non Hemi. I will look tomorrow at the 2 I have in my shop and see if the block itself has any different appearances

yes block is cast completely different... the hemi looks sand cast and the non looks like a permanent mold... smooth much like the honda very easy to spot

Places do have different rules for the Predator . Depending on where you race , rules specifically state that both versions of the Predator are legal to use , but you cannot mix and match parts from one to the other . Then other places are just a must be a Predator motor . And then we have the Ducar 212 . Get the popcorn ready !!!!

where we race it's clone or 212cc engine like a clone or predator... but it's not spelled out it has to be one or the other or some other like engine.. "clone" is a pretty wide open description... if anyone is going way outside the spirit of the rules i have not seen it yet.. in the classes we run

Just to clear up something In a above post on parts between engines. The hemi engine has longer pushrods than the non hemi. The hemi pushrods are around 5.5 long and the non hemis are more clone sized or about 5.2-5.3 long. Long as you use the pushrods from the head they come with shouldn't be any issues

I still haven't seen an answer to this. I'd like to know, too.

From the other replys that are coming in I am gonna say that without pulling at least the head off to check , the head is the only visual difference . Funny , why do I feel there is gonna be a rule in "box "stock" where the dowel pins will both have to be in place .

I still haven't seen an answer to this. I'd like to know, too.
this is just the appearance of the BLOCK from the outside but NOT THE INTERNALS

hemi predator: the front tabs on the block were the fuel tanks bolt are long & pointed just like the clone
non-hemi predator: the front tabs on the block were the fuel tank bolts are short & squared off

easy to tell the difference in appearance of the BLOCK only!

at least that's how the newer HF predators are!

From the other replys that are coming in I am gonna say that without pulling at least the head off to check , the head is the only visual difference . Funny , why do I feel there is gonna be a rule in "box "stock" where the dowel pins will both have to be in place .

no need to pull the head... non hemi block casting is smooth like babies butt... hemi is like 5pm beard stubble... butt vs beard

The kart who won on Sunday at corith time was 9.420. Sec place was 9.522

This was Jr predator class

Just saying.

Guy who won med and heavy WAS ON A HEMI. WHO BOTH CLASS BOTH DAYS

The hemi makes 7 to 8 tenths of a hp more on my dyno with no modifications. Alot of tuning can be done on these. ��

this is just the appearance of the BLOCK from the outside but NOT THE INTERNALS

hemi predator: the front tabs on the block were the fuel tanks bolt are long & pointed just like the clone
non-hemi predator: the front tabs on the block were the fuel tank bolts are short & squared off

easy to tell the difference in appearance of the BLOCK only!

at least that's how the newer HF predators are!
That's a good tell tale sign. I know there has to be a way by looking at the block to tell if it's a hemi or or non hemi. I never new about switching heads from the non hemi to the hemi. We ran a Box Stock class year before last. In the rules it said Box Stock as it came out of the box. I have since found out people were switching heads which illegal by the rules. If we run it next year I will know more to look for. Some of them may have been running a non hemi muffler on a hemi also. I heard the non hemi muffler is better than the hemi.
Nothing was ever checked except rpm every now and then. Got to be more stuff than that checked. I did pretty good at the first of the year running a legal motor but i was in the top three or four by the end of the year. Good to know some information on this post.

When we first started running the Predator class we bought a non-Hemi because that's what our store had. Once we got to the track we heard about the Hemi, and that "they were better", so when our store got some in we bought one. Didn't notice any significant difference between the two - including on the stopwatch.

Now realize that our rules are box stock - original muffler, original airbox, governor hooked up and working. You could run the original fuel tank or a top plate, but now they say original fuel tank only. Drill holes to vent the gas cap, and disconnect the oil sensor. No aftermarket pipe, and not supposed to put a non-Hemi head on a Hemi block (but they haven't actually published a rule stating that).

We happen to have two other Hemi engines because we were going to put another kart together, but they too run about the same lap times as our first two engines. Can't tell any real advantage over a non-Hemi (in completely stock form) so I wouldn't worry about buying another non-Hemi if I needed another engine and that's all the store had in stock.

However, I'm told by guys who claim they can build me an "undetectable modified Predator" that the hot ticket is a Hemi block with a non-Hemi head (but only certain non-Hemi heads - there are several different part numbers)... if your rules allow that then that's probably what you'll need, but your budget class won't stay budget for long...
I ran the Box stock class also with a hemi. Mine was what it should be. Out of the box with throttle stop screw removed for performance. We had the 5500 rpm on stand rule. I don't know how your rules read. I found out some people were doing that after the season was over with.
Hemi block and non hemi head. If the rules say no swapping of parts I think that should cover that or like DNQ rules say it is ran as it comes out of the box should cover it. I believe some were running non hemi muffler on a hemi also. If we run the class next year i will notice a little more.

Back