Hillard Flame question

bullerman

Hillard Flame clutch with Bully conversion. Shoes are not contacting drum all the way across. You can see on the shoes and drum whers it is contacting the center of the drum and shoes. Why is it doing this? Also it looks Ike lube on the grease shield. I don't put anything on the chain and use Vaseline to grease the roller bearings. The clutch has never seemed like it engaged good to me. Not a positive engagement to me. Any suggestions?

Use less grease .
Its a mass produced clutch .
You could hand mill the shoes till you get full contact .
I've cleaned up shoes on a grinder (was very careful and slow doing it). The drum will need to be cleaned up on a lathe - just be careful not to remove a lot of material from either.

I usually just sand the drum and shoes with sand paper. Just thought it would make better contact than that. May sand some on the center of the shoes. I may try a drop of oil on the bearings instead of vaseline.

I usually just sand the drum and shoes with sand paper. Just thought it would make better contact than that. May sand some on the center of the shoes. I may try a drop of oil on the bearings instead of vaseline.
No oil . Vaseline or hi-temp grease .
Wipe dry with paper towel there will be enough left after that .

I will use Vaseline. Wonder if I could take the shoes where I can see they are glazed and use my Dremel tool with a drum sander and sand the shoes down a little. Maybe they would make more contact.
I may send it to Martin Built after the season is over and let them do what they do.

I will use Vaseline. Wonder if I could take the shoes where I can see they are glazed and use my Dremel tool with a drum sander and sand the shoes down a little. Maybe they would make more contact.
I may send it to Martin Built after the season is over and let them do what they do.
All my clutches come from, or been rebuilt by Martin Built, great guy. Do you have to run that drum clutch?

If you are running your shoes trailing it is very common for only about 2/3 of the shoe to make contact. This is a softer engagement. The shoes are actually designed(per Hilliard ) to be ran in the leading position where they will make full contact with the drum. This is a harder engagement. Sometimes this can cause chatter. Something that can be done by the "normal" racer is to use the hilliard shoe dressing tool (basically an oversized drum with 80 grit psa paper inside). It will take a lot of material off of a new shoe. We have had success with both configurations and when running trailing we never worried about the wear on the shoes.

Be careful with sanding. It definitely provides better engagement, but in preds I've had it engage so hard it stalled my motor multiple times. Best way to avoid this is after sanding just let it run and engage/disengage over and over til its good.

Mine has never engaged that hard. I see others on the grid bliping their throttle and they spin the tires. I can tell it engages much harder than mine. I was just confused as to why it looks like it runs in the middle of the shoes. Looks like it should use the whole shoe. I might have got a clutch that isn't exactly right. Like I said I may send it to Martin Built when the season is over then I will know it is right.

Will the flame Fury shoes fit right on and use the same springs. Looks like the Fury shoes have more contact. I ave probably 10 or so races on this clutch.

I could be wrong yet I think the shoes that come with a liner on them also use a larger diameter drum. Maybe the liner shoes are a different name?

Fury is the base clutch . Flame is next .
Then the fire which has the clutch linings.
Which needs a larger diameter drum.
I would say the hubs and springs are all the same.

Ran last night. The clutch is slipping on the start of the race. I can feel it. I use a little Vaseline on the bearings. I clean it after every race and lightly sand the drum a d shoes. It never has felt right since I have had it. I think I am going with a different clutch next year. Racing Promoter said a Stinger was a good clutch. I had one but never used it. I may be doing something wrong with the Hillard Flame with Bully conversion I don't know. Idid run the shoes leading and I thought I was going to break the chain. What are some other good drum clutches?

Ha haHa :ROFLMAO: .....
There is no good drum clutch .
Noram , stinger , hillard , noram ge,
arc mongrel ? Even Horseman had a three lobe drum .
i tried them all .
The stinger i probably liked best except the clanging at idle .
Never tried a dragon skin .
If your mostly happy with the hillard just buy another one . A new one ,. And yes yours may look fine , performance has deteriorated via your own admission.

You mentioned you ran it leading and felt it would break the chain, does that mean you went back to trailing?

If so, that's a lot of your issue. You'll need it in leading position for good lock up, or it will slip unless you're running really light weight classes.

I changed it today to leading. What would cause it what I call a poping or jerking type feeling. Someone said chatter. How can I make it not do that. It felt terrible. Would adding the weights and going to the black springs help. Right now I am using just the white springs.

Back