Hitting tires

Everyone complains about it would be unsafe and hard on karts and chassis's to have certain objects in the bottom of the corner but its one of those things. You hit it once you don't want to hit it again. If we put something out there like a pillow then people would hit it and it wouldn't do anything to there kart then they would just hit it again. But you put a disk out there and you hit it and scrape up your chassis or bend a spindle or something then you will try not to hit it again. That's the whole point.
As OVALTECH1 said if you are pinching off the corner and hitting the objects in the corner you are scrubbing off speed so you will be slow in the corner and exiting the corner.

I don't like the metal disk, they take the powder coat off the bottom of the kart, I don't like to scratch my kart!!, Savage has 40ft of track but you have to stay on the bottom because its so sandy and slick, I don't know why he made so much banking, you cant use it.
I believe if he put something up on the bank a little that the karts wouldn't know back down to the infield the groove would move up and use more of the track. I like the disk idea. If you know it's there you won't hit it. If he doesn't do something it will continue throw sand up on the track I think.it is ashamed to have a 40 ft wide track and only use 10 ft or so of it.

I can speak for the pride Ken takes in track preparation, I’ve been on em. …. And it is spot on and FAST !

If he used the metal disc you would use the , banking if they were placed accordingly, you don't wanta scratch the bottom of your frame, real simple don't hit the disc.
they always where I want to run LOL, these tracks in Louisiana has junk for track surface, they are really sandy and if you get a half a kart off the bottom in the turn, you will slide way up.

I'll just say, I take great pride in preparing a racing surface, they would race where I wanted them to or they could load up and go home. And I wouldn't be chasing small tires or cones all day, or tolerating running in the dust.
that's a good thing, the prob with where we at is everyone thinks they can make a backyard track and they will get a kart count, I have been to some very nice places and some I didn't like when we drove through the gate and there was junk all over, long weeds around the fence if you want to call it a fence, like they say first impression is everything. They want the money but don't put it in the track.

I believe if he put something up on the bank a little that the karts wouldn't know back down to the infield the groove would move up and use more of the track. I like the disk idea. If you know it's there you won't hit it. If he doesn't do something it will continue throw sand up on the track I think.it is ashamed to have a 40 ft wide track and only use 10 ft or so of it.
im with you, I feel bad for some of these guys, they want to have a nice track but I would rather not run the tracks like that. We were there for the first race this year when it almost rained out and I don't think we will go back.

im with you, I feel bad for some of these guys, they want to have a nice track but I would rather not run the tracks like that. We were there for the first race this year when it almost rained out and I don't think we will go back.
he also needs to leave them lawn mowers off the track when karts are there.

I don't like the metal disk, they take the powder coat off the bottom of the kart, I don't like to scratch my kart!!, Savage has 40ft of track but you have to stay on the bottom because its so sandy and slick, I don't know why he made so much banking, you cant use it.
I see that racers today do not understand track configuration any better than they did 10 years ago.

Back in late 2000's several tracks would put the tires smack dab in the middle to high end of "the groove" forcing racers to make a higher groove. Many racers complained because they failed to realize that by running that higher groove early you put rubber down and come feature time you had a wide, in theroy double wide groove where you could do something the old people called racing.

I know crazy idea. I mean everyone knows dirt oval racing is won on the first lap and you just play follow the leader after that lol

I remember a few bigger UAS events where several drivers would all agree to run a higher than usual groove in the turns early sacrificing better feature position in hopes of putting on a better show for the fans.

Now to do this you also have to have a track that has leaf blowers (prefer the old wheel style) and not afraid to use them if the upper groove starts to get neglected come feature time. My theroy that never seemed to catch on was to actually blow off the track into the infield which might also in courage racers to move up the track a bit.

I see that racers today do not understand track configuration any better than they did 10 years ago.

Back in late 2000's several tracks would put the tires smack dab in the middle to high end of "the groove" forcing racers to make a higher groove. Many racers complained because they failed to realize that by running that higher groove early you put rubber down and come feature time you had a wide, in theroy double wide groove where you could do something the old people called racing.

I know crazy idea. I mean everyone knows dirt oval racing is won on the first lap and you just play follow the leader after that lol
that's the thing, these tracks don't rubber up they have too much sand in the dirt.

that's the thing, these tracks don't rubber up they have too much sand in the dirt.
How do you get rid of that sand? The single race groove is taking on rubber isn't it or are you running at tracks with no traction anywhere?

Most tracks don't make the money to bring in 10 to 20 tri axils of clay to make a perfect surface but they prep their butt off. Most racers forget that the surface is in their control also. Yes moving the groove up will be crap sandy for a few races but the carts will wear it down to acceptable running conditions.

I may be totally off base but I bet if a track on opening day moved the tires out 10 feet and black flagged tire bumpers then moved the tires down 2 ft every other week by mid season the calcium tracks would have a fairly wide groove I was blessed with running up north where their track prep went a bit further each week (2 tracks I believe would do at least a minimum disk every week or 2) this lent to an easier time getting a second and sometimes minor third groove in the turns. The down side is I think we had to have a wider tire range because we did not race on dirtphault

How do you get rid of that sand? The single race groove is taking on rubber isn't it or are you running at tracks with no traction anywhere?

Most tracks don't make the money to bring in 10 to 20 tri axils of clay to make a perfect surface but they prep their butt off. Most racers forget that the surface is in their control also. Yes moving the groove up will be crap sandy for a few races but the carts will wear it down to acceptable running conditions.

I may be totally off base but I bet if a track on opening day moved the tires out 10 feet and black flagged tire bumpers then moved the tires down 2 ft every other week by mid season the calcium tracks would have a fairly wide groove I was blessed with running up north where their track prep went a bit further each week (2 tracks I believe would do at least a minimum disk every week or 2) this lent to an easier time getting a second and sometimes minor third groove in the turns. The down side is I think we had to have a wider tire range because we did not race on dirtphault
Ya your totally off base even calcium tracks the groove doesn't last, only way to have a wide racing groove on dirt is all during practice move karts up while track has moisture and make it wide.

The only way to have a wide racing groove is to have more moisture in the tracks and more karts running the 2nd groove. If we had more moisture, and people ran treads, it would turn back into proper dirt racing. (IMO.) If I had a dirt oval, I'd build in progressive banking so that there wasn't a disadvantage to run outside.

The only way to have a wide racing groove is to have more moisture in the tracks and more karts running the 2nd groove. If we had more moisture, and people ran treads, it would turn back into proper dirt racing. (IMO.) If I had a dirt oval, I'd build in progressive banking so that there wasn't a disadvantage to run outside.
That's the thing I never could understand, I know these track owners raced or still race but they don't want to put water on a track, if im at a track where it is so dusty and dry where you cant hardly see the 3rd place kart, I just assume go home, I hate tracks like that. PS im not running no grove tires, been racing 30+ years and I have never owned a tread tire.

When Delmer Spence ran Dumplin Valley he would soak the track before the features EVERY WEEKEND. To this day i have not been on a better track than Dumplin Valley too bad its gone.

What time were the races over with that night?

Beaver Creek ❤️

3C75B980-7223-4F8E-8C50-B0923E0C3A85.jpeg

Back