Horstman DXL Wet Clutch Issues. Need Guidance!

rowanmagnuson

Hey there!
Recently purchased a go-kart... and I don't have much experience. It has a kt100 engine and a Horstman DXL Wet Clutch. I have completely rebuilt the carb and it runs great. I was finally gonna take it for a spin and........ nothing. It just revs and refuses to move. So I start investigating the clutch. I ordered new springs but that has not seemed to help. I was curious if you might be able to provide some guidance, I would really appreciate it. I can provide more details if anyone thinks they can help.
Thank you!

Hey there!
Recently purchased a go-kart... and I don't have much experience. It has a kt100 engine and a Horstman DXL Wet Clutch. I have completely rebuilt the carb and it runs great. I was finally gonna take it for a spin and........ nothing. It just revs and refuses to move. So I start investigating the clutch. I ordered new springs but that has not seemed to help. I was curious if you might be able to provide some guidance, I would really appreciate it. I can provide more details if anyone thinks they can help.
Thank you!

What did you set the spring heights at?

Can you post any pictures? Could be spring height issues or worn-out disks. Is chain on? Had to ask as someone posted about this issue not too long ago.

Good news, the clutch seems to be working better, however, it is still very inconsistent and randomly locks up.
The spring height is set to 0.31” as suggested as a good baseline.
How do you tell if the disks are worn? They measure roughly 0.08” on a digital caliper. What is the disk thickness when new?
The chain is indeed on.
I do not have any pictures of the inside of the clutch yet. I will get some soon.

Some quick questions-
1. What is considered “too hot” for the clutch.
2. How much oil should be put in? We are using type f transmission fluid. When we fill the clutch up halfway as suggested, it makes the clutch lock up when we try and start the engine. However, when we only fill to the hole at 6 o clock, it runs fine.
3. When we stop the engine after driving, the clutch locks up. The clutch is around 200 Fahrenheit. By taking an Allen wrench and a hammer to the starting nut while holding the brakes the clutch can be unstuck and works normally again. What might be causing this?
714B0FF1-CD45-448B-94E4-244155664416.jpeg

Yes, the drum can wiggle on the crank, have not measured how much yet, but probably about 0.07”. Could too much play be causing an issue?

Back