How Many Tracks have a 14.5 Cid Class

Sounds like a great plan. That's pretty much exactly the kind of scenario I was thinking could happen.
I'm having some trouble posting the pictures I took, because I took them with my phone and it's saying the images are too large.
The idea behind what I'm trying to do here is to take away the mystery and a lot of the complication behind building an open, and to show how it can be done by those people who are good with tools and some machinery, who might be interested in building some of these engines, but simply don't know how, and don't want to pay a fortune for someone else to do all the machine work, and then still have to buy all the parts. There have been books and full articles written about how to blueprint a 5hp Briggs, Animal or Clone, how to build a competitive stock class engine, etc. But as far as I can tell, no one has come up with a thorough, comprehensive guide for building a good open 5hp. That is probably because there are a lot of variables, preferences and ways of doing things among different builders of these engines. But there are guidelines, tools and methods, etc. that are good for anyone.
Simple really the basic stock engine building techniques are a must .

Substitute big cam, big carb, better flow ,more compression (ohv) and exhaust.
all within reason and off ya go.

this past weekend at Lincoln ne, there were 14 small block opens and 12 opens running.....these classes are doing quite well around these parts i'd say....

So can it be any conventional 4 stroke engine as long as it's 14.5 CID or less?

What engines were used in the Open class??

clone, animal, or black predator only as base engine.....there was a mixture of clones, animals, black predators and 2 cycles running the open class....

Here's where i'm coming from:
I'd like to support this class by making parts specifically designed for it but not if there is only one track (in some neck of the woods of Ky)
No offense Mike :)

Jimbo no offense taken. We run at several area tracks (western KY, mid-Tennessee, southern Illinois and Indiana) and I believe they all have the 'small block open" class.

Why should it matter what brand of engine it is if it's less that 14.5 CID.
Why not a flat head if someone wanted to use one or a Kohler, Tecumseh, or True Honda

Thanks Mike.

I'm also curious why no billet heads? Those are EASY to machine... Same with billet sidecovers. I understand the reason behind no billet blocks or stroker cranks...

Why not a flat head if someone wanted to use one or a Kohler, Tecumseh, or True Honda

Thanks Mike.

I'm also curious why no billet heads? Those are EASY to machine... Same with billet sidecovers. I understand the reason behind no billet blocks or stroker cranks...
Same ol story Rule' says so.

No billet heads cost and rule's .

Sometime good intentions cost people more than the alternative.
I can spend a tremendous amount of time doing some very exotic thing to stock parts and therefore drive the price to the moon.

Delaware Ia. runs a Small Block Open class. My son runs a stroker Animal and I run a stroker Honda. I believe they call the class Sportsman Modified 390. They'll have the rules posted on their website.

Ted
I agree that a 390 is not a small block! It's a pretty big motor to mount on a typical go Kart.
However, i do not agree that billet heads are easy to make.
It takes a lot of time and a very expensive CNC machine and especially tooling.
No shop with a CNC machine capable of making good billet heads is going to make them one at a time.
I have them made in minimum quantities of 10 at a time and sell at $599.95 each and that's a great price.
http://www.fastermotors.net/Billetheads.html

Semantics, I guess....easy to machine (with proper equipment), harder to design properly. But I guess with a stock head and a dremel, that's "easier" to modify into an "open." I've seen a nice Model 13 billet head....saved somewhere on my home laptop. Appeared to be hand made.

I'd make the rules for small block opens simple -- any OHV 212 block as base, open rules. Any flathead 5hp block, open rules. Tilly carbs on alky. Open should be open. Limited should be limited. IMO, of course.

Semantics, I guess....easy to machine (with proper equipment), harder to design properly. But I guess with a stock head and a dremel, that's "easier" to modify into an "open." I've seen a nice Model 13 billet head....saved somewhere on my home laptop. Appeared to be hand made.

I'd make the rules for small block opens simple -- any OHV 212 block as base, open rules. Any flathead 5hp block, open rules. Tilly carbs on alky. Open should be open. Limited should be limited. IMO, of course.

Why do you think that open rules should mandate a Tillottson carb and alky? Why not a Mikuni or Fuel Injection? On gas?

OOPs fatcat i reread your post and i see that i misunderstood. SORRY:)
Yes, a true open class should not be restricted to a Tilly carb!!

Thanks Mike.

I suspect if someone showed up with any of those old Flatheads, they wouldn't be turned away, my guess is availability of parts and pieces on why the class supports the three modern ohv engines....

Back