How much oil for an animal motor

A fair number of guys, start w/16 oz. then observe how much it pitches out, and use only that much thereafter. Nothin' wrong with that plan.

PD
What kind of valve equipment do you have that takes so long to "seat the valves correctly"

PD
What kind of valve equipment do you have that takes so long to "seat the valves correctly"
The expenditure of time is not because of the equipment. The equip is fine. (Sioux...if you've ever heard of it)
It's the idea of what I consider good enough which causes the expenditure of time.

I don't feel too bad about it.....when I read that it can take up to six months to produce a good crankshaft........4 months to produce a good cam. "Good" being defined as "the way the end user wants it to be."

I take years refining my knowledge and improving certain engine parameters that interest me! Just cranking our cookie cutter engines is not something that's interesting in our shop.

Steve

If you are using the old standard Sioux grinding equipment i can understand how it would take 8 hours.

Rob25Racing,
I agree with Mr. Nunley. There is no need to be so defensive. Also Jimbo has helped me with numerous things with fantastic results from mini sled enignes to open animals etc.. He is very knowledgeable. and as the saying goes... A magician never tells his/her secrets. Not a good way to get help on here. Every builder does things different according to their findings/testing and trial and error. I myself have had some really good results and ones I care to never speak of again. Its all part of it. Is there a chance you have your rings installed incorrectly, or gaps are off from top to bottom of bore. Also What's your cross hatch like, how smooth is the bore many factors can come into play here. I have had cylinders dead on the money top to bottom ring gas correct and rings installed correctly and there wasn't a mosquito in site the smoke that rolled out and oil consumption. I had the cylinder too smooth and was first time using a plateau hone. I corrected cylinder finish with the hone without plateau and it sealed right up. also make sure your second ring gap is slightly larger than your top. this will push the top ring out to the cylinder allowing better ring seal. Just food for thought and some of my experiences.
Matt Field

PD.
There are some very nice carbide 3 angle single point valve seat cutters that you can get from various sources such as Goodson that you can use in your milling machine or valve seat machine that really make life a lot easier, do an excellent job, take far less time, and provide excellent air flow.
http://www.goodson.com/?gclid=CKDAwObW2L4CFeY-Mgod1ngA1Q

Toll Free: 800-533-8010

Back