If i could change one thing about karting...

Those all cost hundreds and racing costs thousands?? Big leagues certaintly pay..

Much cheaper to throw a football than it is to BUILD a racecar, drive and maintain it...

Apples and oranges..imo
I would add that the community absorbs most of the cost of traditional sports. It's nothing for a school district / county to spend millions of dollars on a football field. I've not heard of a community owned race track. I don't believe most tracks would be successful if payouts weren't involved. With that said I was active at a track that everyone was racing for a sticker. It was fun while it lasted but that track is now closed down.

🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• 0AC42DC1-B73B-4B50-AD2D-51C2A96C65E8.jpeg
    0AC42DC1-B73B-4B50-AD2D-51C2A96C65E8.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 42
one motor and only one motor. no predator no ducar 212 or 223 or this or that. I don't care what it is same rule package too. either buy and race a sealed motor (predator OTB style), unrestricted (blueprinted NKA/AKRA) and modified classes. you can move up a class and just have your sealed motor built. and if there re only 3-4 people in your class you go last.

Lots of great thoughts/ideas so far...not sure if any track operators frequent this site or not...another idea would be to maybe printout on paper the thread and send it/show it to your local track/series operator so they can see/read some things that are important to the racers/families that support it...if the racers/families that support it aren't happy, they quit coming and said tracks/series go away....and that's what we all DONT WANT.....jmo

In New England for many years the biggest karting event was the Woodstock (Ct.) Fair. It closed off the season every Labor Day. The kart races always packed the stands. Somehow we need to make karting a spectator sport.

The above “if I ran the race track, Dr Seuss post was meant as a joke

I helped promoted 6 money races at GKK & a record breaking # of entries at Checkered Flag Kartway in 2021…& the last 2 money races at Dawgwood speedway (toys for tots & yesterday’s Winterfest)

I’ll be first to say….i don’t know it all nor have all the answers…but we’re striving to create a family atmosphere, level playing field, hopefully run YOUR CLASS…provided its within reason, but balance that with getting everyone out at a decent hour…10pm at the latest

Checkered flag fell at 6:41pm on toys for tots in December, & at 9:30pm yesterday-which had 29 classes, on two different separated tires (Burris & Maxxis) with 220 total entries, 2 rounds of group practice, with a 10am start time…. Not everything went perfect…. It never will…. But getting positive responses today….& those responses are primarily attributed to the amazing staff!!!!

Running for $ costs $…both in getting ready to race & for race day expenses (reserved parking, gate fee, transponder fee, possible insurance/EMT fee (we did $5 per driver yesterday)

Not all want to race for $ & that’s perfectly fine…that’s what the Saturday night shows are for IMO.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
The above “if I ran the race track, Dr Seuss post was meant as a joke

I helped promoted 6 money races at GKK & a record breaking # of entries at Checkered Flag Kartway in 2021…& the last 2 money races at Dawgwood speedway (toys for tots & yesterday’s Winterfest)

I’ll be first to say….i don’t know it all nor have all the answers…but we’re striving to create a family atmosphere, level playing field, hopefully run YOUR CLASS…provided its within reason, but balance that with getting everyone out at a decent hour…10pm at the latest

Checkered flag fell at 6:41pm on toys for tots in December, & at 9:30pm yesterday-which had 29 classes, on two different separated tires (Burris & Maxxis) with 220 total entries, 2 rounds of group practice, with a 10am start time…. Not everything went perfect…. It never will…. But getting positive responses today….& those responses are primarily attributed to the amazing staff!!!!

Running for $ costs $…both in getting ready to race & for race day expenses (reserved parking, gate fee, transponder fee, possible insurance/EMT fee (we did $5 per driver yesterday)

Not all want to race for $ & that’s perfectly fine…that’s what the Saturday night shows are for IMO.

Your thoughts?
An Amazing Staff still requires an Amazing LEADER to be a success !!

An Amazing Staff still requires an Amazing LEADER to be a success !!
Well…that’s not me…just a guy that raced with my 21 year old son from age 11 to age 19, & had the privilege to help a couple others younger drivers & their dads race & be competitive at all levels….& that was never just all me…it was others willing to honestly answer questions, some that likely became annoying over time 🤣…& give me advice & guidance so I could use that knowledge to try and make things a little better. And I’m still learning…everyday…just ask Rodney Byers lol

I’ve been on the side on a disgruntled dad/spectator/pit crew that gave many promoters/tech owners/& others grief over what i saw as favoritism…but likely wasn’t on every occasion.

I go to a lot of money races but I still think it's stupid. This is a hobby know one wins money
You spend way more than you win. Kids don't want money ask my grandson I will give him money. This hobby cost money. Surely you don't need your kids to make you money from there hobby. If will still raced for trophy track owners could make money.

I kinda think inverted start would be fun . Except the fast karts would eventually start to sand bag to be at the front.I feel it’s more fun earning your spot than taking off out front and just blocking or just walking away from the field.
The killing of inverted starts really hurt car racing in general. I am old enough to have seen racing go from completely inverted starts in all car racing events to what we have now. It began with store bought cars and people with money but no driving or mechanical ability bringing fast cars to the track and not doing well under the age old format. Complained about how hard it was to pass even with the fastest car at the track blah blah blah. Promotors, with their ability to smell a 20 dollar bill from great distances, caved into these money guys and got away from inverted starts. The quality of racing went downhill along with the number of people in the grandstands. Along came entry fees, parking fees, and general higher track costs to make up the monies the promotor was no longer getting through the grandstand gates. The racers were suddenly making up the difference themselves. The same thinking goes into kart racing. Very little, if any, effort goes into drawing spectators to a kart track, thus killing chances to make some money there. And, if actual racing was going on instead of following the fastest qualifiers lap after lap, we just might have something going on that was worth paying a few bucks to watch. Face it, most kart races are boring under the widely used format tracks use now. And its not nearly as fun to race as in the old days.

The killing of inverted starts really hurt car racing in general. I am old enough to have seen racing go from completely inverted starts in all car racing events to what we have now. It began with store bought cars and people with money but no driving or mechanical ability bringing fast cars to the track and not doing well under the age old format. Complained about how hard it was to pass even with the fastest car at the track blah blah blah. Promotors, with their ability to smell a 20 dollar bill from great distances, caved into these money guys and got away from inverted starts. The quality of racing went downhill along with the number of people in the grandstands. Along came entry fees, parking fees, and general higher track costs to make up the monies the promotor was no longer getting through the grandstand gates. The racers were suddenly making up the difference themselves. The same thinking goes into kart racing. Very little, if any, effort goes into drawing spectators to a kart track, thus killing chances to make some money there. And, if actual racing was going on instead of following the fastest qualifiers lap after lap, we just might have something going on that was worth paying a few bucks to watch. Face it, most kart races are boring under the widely used format tracks use now. And its not nearly as fun to race as in the old days.
Used to be interesting, when the leaders came up on lap karts, watching the driving begin. Past few years, especially in jr classes, if the leader gets tangled with a lap car and spins, he gets his position back. Just qualify well, stay out front, dont have to pass anyone

what kind of racing had inverted starts as the norm and how many laps were they?

All kinds. Time trials first. Say there were 30 cars. !6 went to the A Main, 14 to the B Main. 2 Trophy Dashes. Fastest 4 in the B Main ran the B Dash, inverted, 4 laps, for a trophy. A Dash was the fastest 4 qualifiers of the day, inverted. 4 laps, winner gets a trophy. It was a great source of pride. 4 heat races, first head waas the slowest half of the B Main field, 8 laps. Paid a little money. 2nd heat was the fastest half of the B field. Same deal, 8 laps. Paid a little money. 3rd heat was the slowest half of the A main, same deal, 4th heat was the fastest half of the A guys. Again same deal. B Mains would be like 20 laps. Winner got a choice of money or a chance to start at the tail of the A main and see what he could do there. A main was like 35 laps. Every race was inverted starts. Every track did this and the racing was great. After a while a few guys would sandbag in qualifying, trying to gain a better starting spot. This was met with promotors coming up with a rule that if you raced a lap a half second faster than you qualified you would be DQed. It really didnt happen often because guys took great pride in qualifying fast and passing cars. Hope this doesnt give you modern racers nightmares.

All kinds. Time trials first. Say there were 30 cars. !6 went to the A Main, 14 to the B Main. 2 Trophy Dashes. Fastest 4 in the B Main ran the B Dash, inverted, 4 laps, for a trophy. A Dash was the fastest 4 qualifiers of the day, inverted. 4 laps, winner gets a trophy. It was a great source of pride. 4 heat races, first head waas the slowest half of the B Main field, 8 laps. Paid a little money. 2nd heat was the fastest half of the B field. Same deal, 8 laps. Paid a little money. 3rd heat was the slowest half of the A main, same deal, 4th heat was the fastest half of the A guys. Again same deal. B Mains would be like 20 laps. Winner got a choice of money or a chance to start at the tail of the A main and see what he could do there. A main was like 35 laps. Every race was inverted starts. Every track did this and the racing was great. After a while a few guys would sandbag in qualifying, trying to gain a better starting spot. This was met with promotors coming up with a rule that if you raced a lap a half second faster than you qualified you would be DQed. It really didnt happen often because guys took great pride in qualifying fast an
Some tracks in WV do a pill draw after heats, numbered 0 thru whatever, that decides if and/or how many cars are inverted. Makes for exciting racing, and if it’s not exciting racing, no one’s going to want to watch it

Back