If i could change one thing about karting...

I would change the “everything is top secret info” mentality. A seasoned racer has a lot more skill than a brand new racer so why are things like tire prep, air pressure and gearing such a secret? This mentality makes it super tough for people just getting into the sport of karting.
I disagree. If you do not take the time to find the info out for yourself and do the homework that everyone else has done, then you will run in the back. Asking questions and trial and error is part of racing. Everyone should not have to publish their "secrets" for the people that do not want to take the time to fail. I have been in this for 3 years and year 1 we tracked my sons progress by how many times he was lapped. By the end of the season we finished on the lead lap. I talked to many people and tried many different things but did not expect anyone to tell me what to do.

I think somewhere in between. A new racer will not stay in racing if they do not improve. And in the beginning often do not know what questions to ask.

I don't think it should be expected, and often is not possible without a lot of knowledge of the race program to be a top runner without trial and error and experience.

I think general knowledge should be freely shared.

I think if you want the ability to run consistently upfront it will take work. Helping some one better, research, time-experience. It also does give the feeling of accomplishment when you do reach the next goal you set.

But we as racers should be looking for someone that does need help and giving some advice to get them started, we all know it is. It fun always being lap traffic.

Calispec you have helped me enough I know you are not talking about not sharing any information. Thanks

On the other note I have seen starting out drivers that have friends that are knowledgeable set up the kart prep the tires and have everything ready. In my experiences when someone was not around they had not learned the information and were not able to compete on the same level, really had no idea.

If someone takes the time to help you, ask questions and learn. No one owes you the information.

Thanks for all the help from the site and for the work to keep it going.

I think somewhere in between. A new racer will not stay in racing if they do not improve. And in the beginning often do not know what questions to ask.

I don't think it should be expected, and often is not possible without a lot of knowledge of the race program to be a top runner without trial and error and experience.

I think general knowledge should be freely shared.

I think if you want the ability to run consistently upfront it will take work. Helping some one better, research, time-experience. It also does give the feeling of accomplishment when you do reach the next goal you set.

But we as racers should be looking for someone that does need help and giving some advice to get them started, we all know it is. It fun always being lap traffic.

Calispec you have helped me enough I know you are not talking about not sharing any information. Thanks

On the other note I have seen starting out drivers that have friends that are knowledgeable set up the kart prep the tires and have everything ready. In my experiences when someone was not around they had not learned the information and were not able to compete on the same level, really had no idea.

If someone takes the time to help you, ask questions and learn. No one owes you the information.

Thanks for all the help from the site and for the work to keep it going.
I will gladly answer anyone's questions and help them or tell them who to seek out for their answers. I will tell anyone my gear for the track, tire, air pressure and prep. It doesn't matter to me. It's all in how you use that info. I have been helped by Racing Promotor more than you can imagine. But I don't expect him to come find me on race day to help me.

most new racers mostly dads listen to every one. then they dont do good. i try to help every one that asks sometime i just go up to guys and tell them what to do or not to do.they listen to 5 moor and every one tells them something else. i wish it was simple and it is not as hard as some make it. work on your stuff. i just came in trying to get all my broken stuff from the 24 hrs of clay city. I will work hard all week so we can have fun sat.

I will gladly answer anyone's questions and help them or tell them who to seek out for their answers. I will tell anyone my gear for the track, tire, air pressure and prep. It doesn't matter to me. It's all in how you use that info. I have been helped by Racing Promotor more than you can imagine. But I don't expect him to come find me on race day to help me.
You are the kind of person I want to buy a kart off of. This is what I thought I was getting before because this is what I consider customer service when you buy a product brand new from a dealer and/ or a tire guy. Maybe this is not typical customer service in karting.

I would change the “everything is top secret info” mentality. A seasoned racer has a lot more skill than a brand new racer so why are things like tire prep, air pressure and gearing such a secret? This mentality makes it super tough for people just getting into the sport of karting .
Tire prep , air pressure and gear ratio .
Should be easy enough for
Any dealer too give a customer.
Typically it goes with , i got this prep thats working good 32.75$
Thats just business .
If they can't provide answers too
Basic setup info. Time to move on .

Tire prep , air pressure and gear ratio .
Should be easy enough for
Any dealer too give a customer.
Typically it goes with , i got this prep thats working good 32.75$
Thats just business .
If they can't provide answers too
Basic setup info. Time to move on .
Exactly my thinking. Thank you for answering that for me. I was starting to think that what I was asking for was unrealistic.

I hear what you're saying. I don't want a kid to walk away feeling defeated. It really comes down to how you measure success. The sole measurement doesn't need to be based on where you place at in the feature. You can measure consistency of lap times, how did the driver navigate traffic, was the driver ready at the start, etc. I know the ultimate goal is to win but there are other smaller wins that can build up to the checkered flag.

If a person that never raced shows up to the next BMX or MX race would you expect them to be competitive? Probably not. The experienced guys are going to be up front.

We used to race at a kart track with similar conditions to what you described. The surface allowed for more actioned packed racing. That's vastly different than the tracks we race regularly.
Yup, always explained to him that he did fine and drove great. Luckly both our local tracks allow practice after races are over. We've spent plenty of late nights after finishing in the back going back out with different tires or pressures or whatever to find out what worked and what didn't. Thankfully now we don't need so many of those nights, although I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

My son has done well over the half-season, or so we have raced this year. This board is the mother load of information, and when coupled with the experts at the track who have happily given their time and hands-on expertise, my boy has had an excellent first season. But I don't measure by wins and losses, we have a bunch of fun together.

I wish our track had more open practice.

Yup, always explained to him that he did fine and drove great. Luckly both our local tracks allow practice after races are over. We've spent plenty of late nights after finishing in the back going back out with different tires or pressures or whatever to find out what worked and what didn't. Thankfully now we don't need so many of those nights, although I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.
That's awesome!

If I were a betting man, I would bet most people that leave karting aren't willing to put in the work like you and your son did. Both of you had skin in the game. Meaning that you were working towards the same goal and both had an impact on the results. In addition to creating memories it also provides an opportunity for life lessons to occur.

I find myself being rather fortunate to have people willing to help. This site along with racers, kart / tire / prep suppliers, and tech officials have all contributed. I think most people who know us know the effort level we put in and that's why they share info. I send follow up messages to the folks that don't know us personally but contribute to our program (ie most on this site) to let them know we appreciated the advice and how we did.

Like Jeff mentioned above about listening to 5 different people. If they're getting info from multiple sources and things don't go their way or they see you helping somebody else in that class that outruns them then you turn into a bad guy. Have that happen a few times and then people aren't so willing to help.

Flattop summed it up rather nicely in post #69

I want to add, we are supposed to be learning.
Expecting the pro to tell you every move to make for every time you go out on the track is expecting quite a lot. that is a team/ride/sponsor deal. If you are knocking on the trailer door to have them tell you what gear, prep and what tire pressure every time at the track you run every weekend and then telling every tom dick and harry you know, you're going to find the help drying up. There may be a legit reason some get more help than others.

I find it better to call the “pros” before the race to ask for advice. If they are at the track I may ask them something in passing however they are also there to race. After the races call them and discuss what worked and what didn’t. They can better explain the why it didn’t work and what might have worked better. That’s how you learn and not be spoon fed everything.

we went to clay city sat. i took a man and his son. it was the first time his son ever raced away from are home track. that man bought one set of tires from a top team 3 or 4 weeks back. he went and ask them for help. they told him dont use the new tires. gave him prep. and told him what air to run, that is great customer service. now he did what they said and it worked pretty good. he did not win but ran pretty good. the problem is dad 2 would say my boy should have won they told me the wrong thing. there is no perfect set up , know one wins all the time work on your stuff have everythig to win and have fun, if you are not having fun buy a boat. go fishing do somthing else its a hobby you spend your hard eared money. my grandson tore up a new body. i smoked a brand new clutch om my 450 my carb. messed up killed a new set of vegas. didnt win anything had a good time just got in working on my 450. i have to put a new body on joes kart. put the 2 stroke togeter to do some testing for daytona and yes i am having fun

All though I'm pretty sure I remember coming to find you twice to give you heads up the
track changed , once in time and once to late !! Lol

Back