L0206 vs clone

fatchance209

I ran a club race last weekend with my L0206 engine, since I was the only one running this engine I ran in the clone class. My question is should I be able to keep up with the clones?

I've learned not to use the C word in this thread

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are. ;)

Matching the LO206 up against AKRA open pipe open clutch clones can be a toss up.
Some tracks this mix will work nicely...others will give an advantage one way over another.
The rev limiter severely hurts the LO206 on courses with long straights and tight corners. Likewise, if you can keep the 206 off of the rev limiter, it will eat up and spit out the "C's." :)
Power output-wise, the 206 should have the advantage at any given rpm below the rev limiter.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks Brian for your response. It sounds like I need to work on handling and gear set up, I was a little loose on exit and just before corner entry I would sometimes hit the rev limiter. Had a 11/55 gear combo for a final. would going to a 12/60 or other combo make any difference or should I go a little higher on the gearing? I really like the 206 and hoping to get a class of our own, I think it would make some fun racing.

I race my LO206 on a buddies backyard track.. Ran last weekend, against mostly clones(like 6 of them), and a few flatheads... Only had 9 karts this time.. Not one clone was stock to my knowledge, few with internal mods, a few on alky.. Anyway my 1st heat, after starting 4th, I was leading by a good margin, flagman throws the white flag and I loop the kart in turn 1.. Kept her rolling and was able to still finish 2nd:)... Feature, started 3rd and the driving got a little rough so I "sandbagged" so I don't hurt my stuff and easily finished 3rd... Fatchance I am running a 12/66 and barely burping the throttle in the corners, you must be on a smaller track... Ours is 1/10th mile or close, paperclip style....

Don't race them "c's" except in controlled practice, their in the way, it's even worse when they put us with the flatheads, on the dyno it takes a special c to outperform a 206 and it's not going to do it long.

The track is just under 1/10 mile so it seems that if I get the kart set up right and the right gear combo them there "c's" are in trouble. Thanks everyone for your input.

I have a 206 bought one last year. I been wanting to come back just haven't made it thereZ hoping the 7 and I believe one more just not sure when yet. I just been trying to get my boys 206 to run right. Well I should word that different t it runs great just not sure what rpm to gear it for. Hate to drive that far for him to just get killed. Will be bad enough he will have to run the older kids he will need every fighting chance I can give him

I have a 206 bought one last year. I been wanting to come back just haven't made it thereZ hoping the 7 and I believe one more just not sure when yet. I just been trying to get my boys 206 to run right. Well I should word that different t it runs great just not sure what rpm to gear it for. Hate to drive that far for him to just get killed. Will be bad enough he will have to run the older kids he will need every fighting chance I can give him
Ffor the junior class? Yea I wouldn't know where to go with that. But the adult class is like a 15/63 or even a 64

Power is about the same. The difference is overrev. That's not so much about the size of the track, but more about the difference in speed between the tightest corner and the longest straight. A larger difference will hand an advantage to the clone with it's ability to rev higher while still using (roughly) the same gearing to pull out of the tight turns. At rock island there's basically nothing between a clone and an LO206.
At my local sprint track 206 seems to be about a second faster but nobody really runs clones there so it's not a true comparison of form.

Long story short, they are close in performance in most cases.

If you search for "lo206" in the track directory linked in my signature you'll find tracks running the class in some way, shape or form around you, listed by distance. Hopefully you'll find something close.

There won't be anything close to Me. I just not sure where to gear. We race ovals. So straights and corners are close enough to same it won't matter. Just wish I knew what rpm to aim for

There won't be anything close to Me. I just not sure where to gear. We race ovals. So straights and corners are close enough to same it won't matter. Just wish I knew what rpm to aim for
This is a problem when sprint and oval guys start giving advise to each other.
I would say to gear as close to the rev limiter as you can (6100 I believe), then work on the kart to minimize rpm drop in the corner.
It would generally run faster lap times without the limiter, so you would want to be as close to it as possible

Do you know what gearing clones run? We could do some guesstimation for a starting gear based on that. No matter what you do, its going to be a guess until you get out there.

See and I was told not to run on the limiter with the slides cuz ur past the power curve. I'm sorry I'm really not trying to jack this Thread. U should go post in mine that's 206vs clone gearing

Is have been testing. I was just asking what everybody else does with the slides and rpm. Cuz I know I don't have the only purple slide 206 on the forum

I didn't read your other thread, and thought you were talking about an adult class. Please disregard what I said

Purple Slide .342 Opening from Briggs Motorsports

RPM Tor# HP
2011 6.93 2.65
2500 7.25 3.45
3000 6.84 3.91
3500 5.99 3.99
4000 5.09 3.87
4500 4.20 3.60
5000 3.50 3.33

Back