Legal Spark Plug

Jimbo

You can fool some of the people some of the time
c. Spark plug: 2020 is a transition year for the approved spark plug. The timing below is required to allow the retail channel to stock the new plug and ensure that all competitors can comply with the new specification. a. Through March 31, 2020: Only the B&S unaltered factory spark plug part number #555737 Champion RC12YC is permitted. Spark plug must have the “Champion” and Briggs & Stratton logo as well as the “RC12YC” identification on the insulator. b. After March 31, 2020: Only the AutoLite AR3910X unaltered OEM spark plug (B&S part number #84005196) is permitted. Spark plug must have the “AutoLite” and “AR3910X” identification on the insulator. In both cases, sealing washer must be in place, unmodified from the factory. Temperature thermocouple is permitted as long as sealing washer and/or cylinder heat shield with spark plug hole are not modified.

Spark plug rules are about stupid. Anybody can buy any spark plug that anybody else can buy.
Who cares ? What I have (had) a problem with was the 'no modification' rule for heads (I know,
this is about clones but principle is the same) and someone does 'stealth' porting which no one
else had access to.
Rules should not be concerned about things anyone can do and concentrate on things only available to
a select few. Before someone gets started, I'm not talking about fuel/tire rules.
I reserve the right to delete this post. :cool:

Spark plug rules are about stupid. Anybody can buy any spark plug that anybody else can buy.
Who cares ? What I have (had) a problem with was the 'no modification' rule for heads (I know,
this is about clones but principle is the same) and someone does 'stealth' porting which no one
else had access to.
Rules should not be concerned about things anyone can do and concentrate on things only available to
a select few. Before someone gets started, I'm not talking about fuel/tire rules.
I reserve the right to delete this post. :cool:

You should delete your post. Could you imagine the rules committing debating a possible rule change with the caveat that they have to check with Bumpy as to what engine skills and tools he does and doesn't have? The idea of stock class is to provide a level playing field for all competitors by limiting, as much as possible, any alterations by racers. The plug rule was changed likely because it was to hard to put a resistance number on the plug to check. In this case, it was likely easier to spec a plug that is widely available with a solid history of performance that is being used and carried by almost every kart shop.

You should delete your post. Could you imagine the rules committing debating a possible rule change with the caveat that they have to check with Bumpy as to what engine skills and tools he does and doesn't have? The idea of stock class is to provide a level playing field for all competitors by limiting, as much as possible, any alterations by racers. The plug rule was changed likely because it was to hard to put a resistance number on the plug to check. In this case, it was likely easier to spec a plug that is widely available with a solid history of performance that is being used and carried by almost every kart shop.
Isn't the LO206 a sealed engine ? What can you do to it ? Change the oil/air filter ? And what else ? I'm going with nothing. A sparkplug is not an alteration, it's a consumable. So now the guys with cases of plugs take the time to go thru all the plugs to find the optimal resistance plug which is something that is not available to every racer. BUT, every racer could buy any sparkplug he wanted and tech could be checking stuff that really matters.
"...have to check with Bumpy...." Boy, you took my comment up 4 levels, didn't you ?

The champion plug required to run up to 2020 rules had a resistor. You can check resistance with a multi meter. People with some knowledge but with minimal skills and tools can take that resistance out. Some of those people claimed an advantage which created a perception of an unequal playing field.

Spark plug resistence

The champion plug required to run up to 2020 rules had a resistor. You can check resistance with a multi meter. People with some knowledge but with minimal skills and tools can take that resistance out. Some of those people claimed an advantage which created a perception of an unequal playing field.

Spark plug resistence
And you just made my point.

Atleast I can feel good now that we are using a racing plug in our racing engines, it even says so on the box. At 8$ a piece vs. The 2$ harley plugs we had before. Nice little learning curve with these plugs also for people that like doing homework.

And you just made my point.
In that case, I have no idea what you're point was. It seemed like you were saying we shouldn't have rules or specs on things like sparkplugs, heads, maybe even carbs because they can be altered by an average joe like yourself. Then again, maybe your point was just to stir stuff up.

The Briggs LO206 program has been working very well and will continue to work very well! The Autolite AR3910X has been a good choice in many racing applications for many years now. We use it and have never had any problems with it............keep up the good work Briggs Racing !

Steve

"...we shouldn't have rules or specs on things like sparkplugs, heads, maybe even carbs...."
Can you cut and paste what I said about modifying LO206 heads/carbs ? I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
My point was simple. Don't worry about sparkplugs. Sparkplugs, that's all I commented about.
Were there 1.2hp in some special sparkplug, I would agree - spec sparkplug.
But there isn't. It's just one less thing to have to stress out about or have teched.
Look at the hoops everyone is having to jump thru which could be solve with just 3 words - "SparkPlug - no Tech " It's even spec'd what can be written on the sparkplug -
"Through March 31, 2020: Only the B&S unaltered factory spark plug part number #555737 Champion RC12YC is permitted. Spark plug must have the “Champion” and Briggs & Stratton logo as well as the “RC12YC” identification on the insulator. b. After March 31, 2020: Only the AutoLite AR3910X unaltered OEM spark plug (B&S part number #84005196) is permitted. Spark plug must have the “AutoLite” and “AR3910X” identification on the insulator."

I for one would like to know what was the big fix that caused this .
Since the rule has changed its not anything that should not be out in the open .
I know in 2 cycle racing they were cutting the body so as to get the plug deeper in the hole .
Spec plug , clutch , air filter , pipe and you can still remove the head .
After all the persons buying 100 plugs looking for minimum resistance is not going to stop at strecthing the rules ever .

Wanna bet?
If you know what was going on, then you know the spark plug was no longer a consumable and became an alteration as bumpy someone above put it wrongly. The resistance mattered and allowed things that were not intended, so B&S changed it.

It saves the racer from buying 100 different types of plugs to learn which one is best. That is the point of spec racing.

A resistor spark plug will delay the time when the spark jumps. This effectively will retard ignition and reduce power and efficiency. Briggs manufactured spark plugs have a resistor in them. People were searching for low resistnace and or were removing the resistor. My assumption is that Briggs (Champion) was not going to fix this by manufacturing a new plug as it would be cost prohibitive. My guess is champion was also not going to gurantee the tolerances to give a tech person a reliable ohm number to determine if someone was trying to gain an advantage. Soultion, keep a spec plug but go with what has been proven in the field and desired by we the consumer. Great solution Briggs! I continue to be pleased to be a part of the 206 program.

I'm just glad that these rule makers are not running my home owner's association.
Evidently I'm not communicating well enough.

Last edited:
Back