LO206 carburetor settings

Although we are new to racing my understanding is that the carb also has to stay stock but adjustment like float height and needle position can be adjusted.

Kimball
You are correct again. Everything in the carb must remain stock.

You are allowed to adjust the float
Adjust the needle on the slide
Adjust the idle mixture
Adjust the Idle speed
Must use 555729 Air filter in stock condition.

You can not file, grind, sand, polish, deburr or in any way modify anything else in the carb!

Also new to the LO206, I was wondering as the air density changes during any given day, could you chase the change by clip position on the jet needle? Eg, full rich (I believe it's referred to as P1-closest to needle tip) through P5 (leanest...closest grove to jet needle top)? For instance where the ADR is 99 for morning practice, to 94 for a late afternoon final.
I know how to do this for a Stock Honda shifter, but with the spec jets/needle LO206 I'm not sure the best course to take. AND, how big of a difference do these changes make?
You guys know this stuff, sooooo?
Thanks,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

I tried to set the float height to .860 and the float height is off .02 from side to side. Is it ok to bend the float arm to make them identical?

In general I agree with your calculations Al.......do you know how a 5% change in air density would affect lap times and then if you would correct the main jet to match the 5% air density change would again affect the lap times............please make that calculation for me based on a 1 mile long track with 10 right turns and 3 left turns.

What joy do you get out of asking a question that you know nobody can answer? Other than trying to make me look stupid, I think it's nonsense. IMHO, you've done just the opposite. It shows no intelligence to ask a question like that and expect an answer.

Al, do you realize that you are complaining about a question in a post that was made almost 2 years ago? It was 04-18-2015,*10:20 AM.

Thanks Steve,

Does the float drop affect the A/F ratio?

It could if the drop was not low enough. A low drop will create a small needle movement window ( low fuel flow ) and cause a low fuel level in bowl and a lean condition. Just make sure drop is at least 1.050".

Steve

It could if the drop was not low enough. A low drop will create a small needle movement window ( low fuel flow ) and cause a low fuel level in bowl and a lean condition. Just make sure drop is at least 1.050".

Steve

Thanks again Steve.

Dumb question perhaps so need an easy simple intelligent answer?!! :)

How is float height impacting richness of fuel/air ratio for lo206, "assuming" there is at least ENOUGH fuel in the bowl to feed what the jets are requesting be allowed into venturi? To ask it another way, if we load up the bowl with AT LEAST as much fuel as the jets will allow into the carb to mix with the air then we are good, and if we adjust float to allow MORE fuel than needed wouldn't the extra fuel in bowl run out an over flow tube rather than richen the ratio?

I fully understand that changing c clip and/or jets changes fuel/air ratio, but not really understanding how float height adjustment is a fuel/air ratio adjustment EXCEPT to the extent you must be sure the bowl has ENOUGH FUEL to supply what is needed? Not disagreeing, but wanting to understand. Final words of contentment for the easily excitable type. LOL

You need to understand that fuel gets from the bowl to the venturi by a difference in air pressure. The closer the fuel is to the venturi the less effort is required to deliver the fuel. Think of a drinking straw it takes less effort to push the liquid into your mouth when the container is full than it does when the level is low.

So how does setting the drop determine a lean/rich condition. Setting an 1/8 inch drop vs 1 inch. Sorry if it's a new guy question, just trying to learn more on this carb. Thanks.

Setting the drop does not change the mixture, changing the height or the point where the fuel level is maintained in the bowl, is what changes the mixture.

So I want to make sure I have this right . I think I am doing it correct but I want to be sure from more experienced guys. From the Briggs website it says,
"For an initial setting, gently turn the mixture screw in until it lightly seats or stops. Back out the speci ed number of turns. The optimum setting of the
mixture screw will usually result in the highest rpm with the throttle closed. As the amount of fuel is varied the engine rpm will also vary. With throttle closed and engine warm and running at or slightly above desired idle speed, slowly turn the Idle Mixture Screw in
or out to obtain the highest rpm. Then set the idle speed screw to obtain the desired rpm."

So I get adjusting the mixture screw until the rpms do not go any higher, but where do I start the idle screw, all the way closed. Because 1 effects the other but from my understanding the idle screw only affects idle.

The idle speed screw located central on the carburetor does not in reality change the fuel amount, it merely holds the slide from closing all of the way. Start your engine, let it warm up, adjust the idle speed screw (center of carb), to cause the engine to run just a tad higher than you would consider an idle. Adjust as the mixture screw as described, return the idle speed screw to the point you consider a proper idle.

Not sure if it is best practice but I was advised or read somewhere to open the throttle a bit when adjusting the idle speed screw to prevent damage to the slide. At least when tightening the idle speed screw.

Back