Mini Sprockets

Gotta hear this theory,, and the gear guards other functions are
the gear guards will protect the sprocket if you were to runover a rock in the track (or where the grid meats the track)it also keeps out rocks from getting in the chain. feel free to inspect Nall's And Chavous's karts they run gear guards. as do Yarbrough, Mullis and the Fifty 5 Cartel. I'm not gonna tell anybody what to do but why do they do it? And are you competing with them and beating them on a regular basis without guards? And did you beat them because you don't run guards.
Believe me when I say I find gear guards as big a nuisance as anyone

There is less friction and less chain tension on a larger front sprocket this is a fact not a theory. the only advantage to a mini gear set up to me is rotational weight or if there is a driver tooth rule and the track calls for a smaller sprocket than a 53.
I run the lightest sprocket, hub, gears and guard i can so my theory is the the chain tension/friction is a bigger advantage than the small driver/mini gear theory.

feel free to do whatever you like. i think they look cool too but not gonna run them on my kart

Imo, the guys running the gear guards that run the pmi mini sprockets do so, because if you don't you cannot change the gear with a impact and socket. You have got to use a open end wrench as the studs and nuts are way to close to the hub center for anything else to fit. I figured this out my first time using them. If you run the Xcel hub and nitro minis or something similar then you don't have this issue. Gear guards won't stop a rock from getting in between the gear and chain and guards, know this from experience as well. Again these are my opinions. I have raced with these guys, and against these guys alot.

I will say that since going to the mini sprockets we have been more consistent. I also do agree that it is a big plus to run in the predator classes hence why most places have a front driver rule to keep from being able to be used. Thank you!

Imo, the guys running the gear guards that run the pmi mini sprockets do so, because if you don't you cannot change the gear with a impact and socket. You have got to use a open end wrench as the studs and nuts are way to close to the hub center for anything else to fit. I figured this out my first time using them. If you run the Xcel hub and nitro minis or something similar then you don't have this issue. Gear guards won't stop a rock from getting in between the gear and chain and guards, know this from experience as well. Again these are my opinions. I have raced with these guys, and against these guys alot.

I will say that since going to the mini sprockets we have been more consistent. I also do agree that it is a big plus to run in the predator classes hence why most places have a front driver rule to keep from being able to be used. Thank you!
all those guys ran guards when they had the old style hubs and sprockets.

Clarification since it started not keeping up off the corner he's not near as competitive?
Which engine is he running ?
What max RPM is he turning ?
According to what he has told me he has a bit of a fall off in the last couple of weeks. He correlates that with everyone switching to mini gears. I'm a bit sceptical that the mini gears caused this, I feel that it is more of a tire issue but he assures me his tires are good.
He has a clone engine.
Turns about 6900/7000 rpm

According to what he has told me he has a bit of a fall off in the last couple of weeks. He correlates that with everyone switching to mini gears. I'm a bit sceptical that the mini gears caused this, I feel that it is more of a tire issue but he assures me his tires are good.
He has a clone engine.
If he's been running the same set or sets of tires and is starting to see fall off. That would be my first move. Are they rerolls? Do they need rerolled? Is it time for a new set? Depending on where you live, are Temps cooled off? Might need to get harder on the tire. Mix a little aggressive in to the weekly wipe to help during the race. There's alot of information Thats missing to really nail it down.

He has a clone engine.
Mini gears will not fix his issue, he may think it's not tires but it's tires, could just be he's not adjusting to the season changes

its tires for sure in my mind , learn lesson over the summer fastest thing there for a month then then track drop in lap time cldnt get to the front blame everything on cart ,last ditch effort got fresh harder set down right back in the mix for the front

Back