Most effective way to smooth out a track?

Is the soap introduced in the discing stage so it gets worked in? Is the goal to create "porosity" so the moisture stays in the clay?

add the soap to the water for wetting the track, ivory is good but any of the cheap white dish liquid will help, sam's sells it in drums cheap IMO works better than calcium

I use to hear StayPuff fabric softener is put into the water to help it hold together, seal and keep it from dusting up. Anyone else ever heard of it being used?

Never tried fabric softener but used plenty of laundry detergent back in the day 2 bottles per tanker truck load just dump it in while filling truck on final load it definitely helps, especially for night racing it will not hold all day for a day race ONLY the proper amount of Calcium or Mag Flakes will work for a day race.

A good brand "land plane" or similiar is a cost effective way to grade tracks for those where a road grader is out of reach. We build and shape with excavators and dozers and do our final smoothing/grading with a higher quality land plane.

I used to run a 1/4 mile dirt high bank race track and owner said he used cow fat to hold the track together but I have no clue what that consist of but maybe someone has heard of this method?
Also heard of trac tac having a product to put down.

I've wondered what a vegetable oil mixed in with the clay would produce...wouldn't evaporate like water. Don't know what the results would be after a light misting rain though...might not get the track back....or perhaps it would just bead up and roll off... Maybe I'll mix some up this weekend and see what I get.

I've wondered what a vegetable oil mixed in with the clay would produce...wouldn't evaporate like water. Don't know what the results would be after a light misting rain though...might not get the track back....or perhaps it would just bead up and roll off... Maybe I'll mix some up this weekend and see what I get.
Dirt tracks use to be sprayed with burnt motor oil......

Dirt tracks use to be sprayed with burnt motor oil......

Yeah, and apparently it was absolutely wicked. I read about this a few years back, and done some digging. They still occasionally use waste oil for dust control on rural and construction roads. But, there are guidelines to doing it "correctly."

Yeah, and apparently it was absolutely wicked. I read about this a few years back, and done some digging. They still occasionally use waste oil for dust control on rural and construction roads. But, there are guidelines to doing it "correctly."
I might know someone who might of helped Delmar Spence spray some on Dumplin Valley.
Tazewell Speedway done it back in the 80's

Pretend your going to pave it , spray it with tack coat emulsion ( similar to the oil ) without the D.E.P side effects, then just forget the paving part.

About ten years or so ago, I had an idea to make a mix that used waste oil from deep fryers as the main ingredient. An RC track used it and loved it. Not sure on the legality of it though, or I’d see what I could round up for my kart tracks.

I'm assuming it's more for the binding of the dirt, so I would assume it would work fairly similar. Legality is probably about the same, but who knows without investigsting.

Back