my kid is 13 is it fair

Most any track will create a class for 3 or more racers that want to race.

Find.......or build 2 more adult class karts.........with 2 or more teenage drivers.......to join your 13 year old...........and approach the track for permission to race a special class.

I really believe the reason behind most parents wanting their 13,14,15 year old to be able to race with adults is because the adult classes are usually the classes with the money in them, or the classes where you have the chance to win the most money. I'd be willing to bet that is what the original poster is talking about when he asks if his 13yr old should be allowed to race with the adults. I can see that the majority here follow the same line of thinking that I had when I made the original post on this topic, safety being the main concern.

The OP's join date was 7/14 if that is any clue as to how much seat time the kid has (or lack of) I don't think many tracks would let it happen.

With money races it should be whatever the rules say weather it says minimum age is 16 or 60. Rules are rules. Our track has let the kids thst will be moving up the following year run thst class in the few heats at the end. Or even the last feature or 2 of the previous year. But I was told they tell the kids thst want to rum with the adults. That if u play with the big boys you'll get big boy bumps and bruises.

theres not an easy answer... He does need to run the jr classes. Hopefully there is a Jr class. IF you have total domination of the JR class, then maybe some kind of waiver. IF thats not the case i wouldn't think of it.

One interesting thing is, watching the Star Jr Kid move to the Sr class. They tend to be fast but have a trouble with all of the Sr guys tricks. I watched a Jr Kid get to race the sr class at the world 100 one year, (way back) Jr Kid was on pole, Rohn Moon was off pole. Rohn went talked to the kid mussed his hair, and then it was time to race. on the fire, turn one first time by, jr kid ran straight off the track. Was funny.

Now all of that said, getting the fast kids familiar with the mental game of racing as early as possible can really make for a good racer...

Coming from a parent who's done it, I truely believe if YOU can handle your child getting roughed up by adults and your child can handle the kart and show respect for those around them then yes if the track allows it.
My daughter started racing in a Sr. class at 13 at our local track. Mainly because there was not much more for her to do besides move up a class. This past March @ 14 she ran adult classes indoor @ Columbus. Now that she's 15, it's all adult classes from here on out.

I've been on both sides of the fence. we run winged karts and at 13 they have to move up to the adult class. some can handle it and it's no problem and some are like a dart without feathers. like Waddle mentioned we had a 9 and 11 year old running with us on coke syrup and that was a disaster.

The OP's join date was 7/14 if that is any clue as to how much seat time the kid has (or lack of) I don't think many tracks would let it happen.

Seems that alot of people will see another members join date and think that is when they started racing or that's how long they have been racing, which is a pretty fair assumption to make but usually is not the case. Not everyone that races is on this site or has been on the site since they began racing karts. I prefer not to base anything off of the date or time someone joined the site since that information is hardly relative to anything, people that have been racing for years sign up here once in awhile just like new people do, or those who raced years ago and are just getting back into the sport.

I still believe it doesn't matter how long the O.P's kid has been racing, even if he's been at it since he was 5, rules are rules and they are in place for a reason. To allow someone under 15 to race with the adults is no different than allowing someone like me who is 27 to race with Over The Hill or Over 35 classes, or would be like allowing one guy to race a 375lb class when he only weighs 325. Its all the same thing just different ways of putting it, all are breaking the rules though, right?

Most any track will create a class for 3 or more racers that want to race.

Find.......or build 2 more adult class karts.........with 2 or more teenage drivers.......to join your 13 year old...........and approach the track for permission to race a special class.

Yeah, that's what we need, another friggin' class, like 30+ isn't enough! lol
Seriously, while I am a big opponent to adding classes, I have seen this option used on the local level at various tracks. However, to add a class, a class should be dropped from the program, IMO.
Now, to the OP, Hell No!! A 13yr old should not be in an adult class, at any level, at any track in America! Besides, if you are competing at a sanctioned track (or one that actually has an insurance policy), I'm 99% sure that if your kid is involved in an accident, they won't be covered, and the promoter's ass will be in a sling as well!

I think if a track has a "Jr. Unrestricted" class there's no reason for a child under 15 to want or need to move into the senior classes. Many times the Jr. Unrestricted class is the fastest class at the track, except UAS, and sometimes Open and Limited. I'm ok with kids racing engines with power on small tracks but I prefer them race with other kids.

Another problem that the current class structure has in karting is that we keep these "kids" using restrictor plates through the ages of 14 or 15.

This is truth. These kids get bored to death droning around for four years with restriction. Pull the plates and let them run.

DK

Yeah, that's what we need, another friggin' class, like 30+ isn't enough! lol..........!

As long as kart tracks have to rely on the racers and pit crews as their primary source of revenue........they will continue to need to attract and accommodate as many racers as possible.

If and when any kart track can modify its program to provide entertainment value to an audience of paying spectators, and their consumption of concession commodities and goods.........then that track can reduce the number of racers and classes to a manageable level of public entertainment.

At most existing tracks, .............limiting classes to a desirable few will not provide enough revenue to keep the track up and running.

At most existing tracks, .............limiting classes to a desirable few will not provide enough revenue to keep the track up and running.
I think most understand the problem, but putting young kids at additional risk is not, and never will be, the answer. Under any circumstances

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

So, just curious...... At what age do you think they should drink or smoke if you think they should race with adults at 13?

Male, 40, charged...driving while impaired, failure to stop at the scene of an accident causing property damage, driving while license revoked for impaired driving and driving with an open container of alcohol. According to his conditions-of-release form, he has previous convictions for DWI and DWLR and at least seven charges for failure to appear in court. He was released on bond. :confused:
Male, 49, stopped. He registered .12 and cited for failure to stop at a stop sign.
Male, 32, stopped. He registered .08 released on promise to appear.
Male, 28, stopped. He registered .10 also, cited for an open container.
Male, 56, stopped. He registered .12 released on promise to appear.
Male, 27, stopped. He registered .10 also, charged with speeding 80 mph in a 65-mph zone.

Hmmm.... Who?.... Now that there is a good question.
Closed track - Open road
Oh well, never mind...

Does anyone know if you can still get a driver's license at 14 years old in the state of North Dakota?
Just checked -- looks like you get a permit and log 50 hours in different conditions, then have to wait until 15 to take the test.
How do people feel about this?

Age Requirements - http://www.dmv.org/nd-north-dakota/teen-drivers.php
Learner's permit: 14 years old.
Minor’s restricted driver’s license/provisional: 15 years old.
Full, unrestricted driver’s license: 16 years old.

But, in NASCAR you can get one at 14 yrs and other sanctions it appears that you can get a license 14yrs or younger...
I know of one locally that left karting several years ago and started racing cars when he turned 14.

by Jason Christley, NASCAR
February 12, 2011 - 2:24pm
In a corresponding move, the Learner’s Permit License for the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series will be applicable for all divisions at NASCAR-sanctioned tracks. The Whelen All-American Series is NASCAR's national championship program for its more than 55 sanctioned short tracks across North America. More than 10,000 drivers compete in the series annually.

Last year, [2010] NASCAR introduced the Learner’s Permit to the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series, which allowed drivers and crew members ages 14 and 15 to participate in tracks’ entry-level divisions.

ASA member drivers age were also at 14 years, back then too, as I recall.

I've seen some VERY talented 13 year old racers (and some not so much.) Anytime that you make an "exception" to the rule, problems can arise. I saw one particular 13 year old compete with adults at a money race, and when the kid won the adults were all crying like kids - it was pretty awful situation that could have been easily avoided. Personally I think the adults should have been humbled that a "kid" just handed it to them. On the other hand, I see their point...the "kid" wasn't playing by the rules.

Another problem that the current class structure has in karting is that we keep these "kids" using restrictor plates through the ages of 14 or 15. Keep in mind that they are only a year away from getting their drivers' licenses in most cases. Some of these "kids" move on to big cars (sprint cars, midgets, late models, etc) before they get their driver's license. So we are seeing "kids" bypass the jr3 class to go to big cars -- and why would they want to continue for another year or more with a restrictor plate if their goal is to get into big cars with some real horsepower anyhow!?..................................

Like......(see below)..............

"SMA gets donation from 13-year-old race car driver
Date: March 24, 2014
by: The Palm Coast Observer Staff
Race car driver Harrison Burton — just 13 years old — donated $1,000 of his winnings from the World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing at New Smyrna Speedway last month."

Just to name a few more in racing people may have heard of..

Michael Schumacher; (born 3 January 1969) iGerman retired racing driver. Schumacher is a seven-time Formula One (F1) World Champion and is widely regarded as one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time.
Regulations in Germany require a driver to be at least 14 years old to obtain a kart license. To get around this, Schumacher obtained a (Kart) license in Luxembourg at the age of 12.

Casey Mears: (Born March 12, 1978) [ 1978 +13 = 1991 ]
After racing in go-karts for a season in 1991 [@ 13 ], Mears began competing in the Super Lites Off-Road Series in 1992 [@ 14 ] where he posted several top-three finishes. He moved to sprint cars in 1994 [@ 16 ] and finished third in the Jim Russell USAC Triple Crown Championship, with a win at Mesa Marin Raceway. The next season, [@ 17 ] he won the championship in the USAC series. (Oh..Maybe it was in a kids class in 1991)

Trevor Bayne: (born February 19, 1991)
Bayne began his racing career racing go-karts at the age of five. After eight years, he moved to Allison Legacy Race Series, where he became the youngest top rookie [ 5 + 8 = 13yr ] Two years later, he moved to the USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series Southern Division. [13 + 2 = 15yr] (Yep, by then he 15 and could finally race as/against adult like in go-karts... right!)

I'm sure you can come up with many more... Exceptions maybe but, there are still some very good ones out there...

Back