my kid is 13 is it fair

Alot of things were legal pre-1990 that are not legal today, rules are still rules, and those rules are that a driver must be 15+ to compete in adult classes in kart racing. Doesn't matter what Nascar, USAR, USAC, or any other league allows, we are talking about karts here. Making exceptions for a few isn't fair to the many others, plain and simple.

My 11 yr old occasionally races in a Sr champ clone division (as a second class) with drivers as old as 60+ with no problems. The track champion in that division this year was a 13 yr old (with the most wins as well). The "kids" raced clean and hard and definitely were up to the task. Some drivers can handle it, some can not, regardless of age.

no i think its a bad idea parents will not like their kid getting dumped by a grown up then there is arguing then punches thrown bad idea u have those parents at every track that thinks their son is the next jeff gordan so nobody should put a bumper on their retirement plan

the problem is at most tracks the jr classes are dying and you have kids that have raced longer than some adults and race cleaner. i don't think it matters your about your age because alot of adults can't race clean either. what about the kids that are bigger that give up alot of weight and don't feel competitive and want to move up or they quit. some people worry about the kids getting in a fight with an adult i still think you can't beat up a 15,16,17 yr old either lol. 3yrs in racing and you should be able to run any class.

Possible problem's.
Child with an ego
Adult with an ego
Parent with the protection gene, (you can't talk to my child that way) This includes mom, gramma , aunts, uncles and 2nd cousins and friends.
Insurance/legal.

Yeah, that's what we need, another friggin' class, like 30+ isn't enough! lol
Seriously, while I am a big opponent to adding classes, I have seen this option used on the local level at various tracks. However, to add a class, a class should be dropped from the program, IMO.
Now, to the OP, Hell No!! A 13yr old should not be in an adult class, at any level, at any track in America! Besides, if you are competing at a sanctioned track (or one that actually has an insurance policy), I'm 99% sure that if your kid is involved in an accident, they won't be covered, and the promoter's ass will be in a sling as well!
You are 100% correct
Building and running a track, here is the #1 reason a 13 yr old should NOT run in adult classes it is against the rules, insurance coverage is based on rules written by AKRA/WKA/IKF etc.. not only does that mean they wont cover, but it leaves everyone in charge open for a law suit all the way down to the land owner.

As long as kart tracks have to rely on the racers and pit crews as their primary source of revenue........they will continue to need to attract and accommodate as many racers as possible.

If and when any kart track can modify its program to provide entertainment value to an audience of paying spectators, and their consumption of concession commodities and goods.........then that track can reduce the number of racers and classes to a manageable level of public entertainment.

At most existing tracks, .............limiting classes to a desirable few will not provide enough revenue to keep the track up and running.

Nobody said anything about "limiting" anything, except class structure. At any given track on any given weekend, there are 15 to 30 classes to compete in! Karting is dysfunctional when it comes to this. Case in point, you decide you want to race dirt cars, you go to the track, or tracks in your area that you may want to race at, you build a car that complies with their rules!!! You don't build what you want to and beg the promoter to add a class for you, because you can't compete with the masses. One huge reason karting can't attract corporate sponsorship, and the general public is that nobody wants to watch 30 divisions of 4, 5, or 6 karts go 'round in circles. But again, that's JMO, I'm sure Darth has all the "real" answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say what you want,I have enjoyed this thread. But it all comes down to one thing the- $ bill -,just look at the number of classes and why they were created. After you look, post somemore I'm enjoying this.

Nobody said anything about "limiting" anything, except class structure. At any given track on any given weekend, there are 15 to 30 classes to compete in! Karting is dysfunctional as hell when it comes to this. Case in point, you decide you want to race dirt cars, you go to the track, or tracks in your area that you may want to race at, you build a car that complies with their rules!!! You don't build what the hell you want to and beg the promoter to add a class for you, because you can't compete with the masses. One huge reason karting can't attract corporate sponsorship, and the general public is that nobody wants to watch 30 divisions of 4, 5, or 6 karts go 'round in circles. But again, that's JMO, I'm sure Darth has all the "real" answers.

Limiting class structure..............is limiting something.........as per you.......you said it.

Nobody said anything about "limiting" anything, except class structure. At any given track on any given weekend, there are 15 to 30 classes to compete in! Karting is dysfunctional when it comes to this. Case in point, you decide you want to race dirt cars, you go to the track, or tracks in your area that you may want to race at, you build a car that complies with their rules!!! You don't build what you want to and beg the promoter to add a class for you, because you can't compete with the masses. One huge reason karting can't attract corporate sponsorship, and the general public is that nobody wants to watch 30 divisions of 4, 5, or 6 karts go 'round in circles. But again, that's JMO, I'm sure Darth has all the "real" answers.

Describe please............a kart track designed, planned, and operated with the purpose of attracting great public interest.......large spectator attendance.........and corporate sponsorship attraction. A track that would establish a functional kart sporting event.

As it is, few existing tracks are built for the purpose of attracting and accommodating spectator interest.......or corporate sponsorship. They are built to attract persons who will pay to have a place to race karts.

Back long (long) ago when I raced as a junior we had 2 junior classes. By then my father had turned driving duties over to me and we took 2 karts to the tracks with the (then) most popular McCulloch kart engines. One was a stock Mac Junior class, the other a Mac Junior Open (100cc) class, both for kids 12-15 yrs of age. There were no junior "restrictor" classes, no junior clones, no junior cage karts nor different weights for each junior class. No watering down individual class participation numbers to liberally "appease" the masses by incorporating what some may now consider a dysfunctional array of class options. TWO classes, you either set up a kart to race either (or both) OR...... If you didn't, it's your own tuff luck, you stay home. Both junior classes were also offered as adult classes so other than weight, transition from junior to adult classes were minimal. SIMPLE. But like what seems to be a karting constant, people have this overwhelming appetite to keep tinkering with what works until we see content as argued within this thread. So keep tinkering. There are ALOT of ambulance chasing attorneys nowadays who will not hesitate to shut down or eliminate altogether a track at which many enjoy. Sacrifice many to appease a mere few. Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

My 11 yr old occasionally races in a Sr champ clone division (as a second class) with drivers as old as 60+ with no problems. The track champion in that division this year was a 13 yr old (with the most wins as well). The "kids" raced clean and hard and definitely were up to the task. Some drivers can handle it, some can not, regardless of age.
So the 13 year old that won the championship took it away from the senior that might have won it. If I spent my money on a program that was set up for the senior division and they let a 13 year old win it over all my efforts as a senior, I don't think I'd be back

So the 13 year old that won the championship took it away from the senior that might have won it. If I spent my money on a program that was set up for the senior division and they let a 13 year old win it over all my efforts as a senior, I don't think I'd be back ..
....and ESPECIALLY !! ...while was standing on the winners podium and he/she (13 year old) said: "It was like stealing candy from a baby". :p

Our track age rules include: Sr Champ (animal) 15+ and Clone champ 12+ The Clone champion was 13, the Animal champion was 15 and both divisions have mostly adults racing in them. We don't have any real age issues.

We do have strong Jr Champ (12-15) and Jr Sportsman champ (8-12) divisions. Some of the good young drivers would rather race with the adults, they race harder, but don't make as many rookie mistakes.

Does it really matter how old the guy that beat you was?

I want my son to race with as many strong competitors as we can find, even if we have to race with the old guys!

Then maybe the "old guys" should move down instead :)

Maybe you'd find a trip to the VKA races in Barnesville this March as a bit of a contradiction. Lots of old guys who still love to teach the young pups a thing or two with equipment far from being "state of the art". Kids may not want to try this though. No plastic or fiberglass cocoon for protection. lol.

Really tho, all ages are welcome. :)

Back