mycron 5 ???

Data and information are worth the cost. You just have to be able to read and use the info.

New features are always a draw. It is said that; spreadsheets have so many features now that something like 80 percent of the users only use 20 percent of the features. Every time a new version comes out, they have even more new features. It's just marketing for the most part. I'm sure those new features were added at the request of some of the users, same as the Mychron, but they weren't requested by me. But now that I think about it, every once in a while I see where a new feature, here or there, would help me.

Justin nailed it. You have to take the time to look at the info and see what it means to you.

If the data lets you know you can drop a tooth or add a tooth (based upon a track map) what is that worth?

Tenths of seconds add up.

John

The 5's display is meant to be quite a it better both in terms of technology and layout. I've always found it useful to look at the data after a day and compare it to my notes. An MC5 would be nice, but for now the 3 gold I bought for $200 which has lateral G and speed is sufficient for me.

Surprisingly the G load variations don't stand out like you would imagine. It takes a bit of user practice to get much out of the data. I mean to see the data trace and know what it means is great but to get more speed via the data isn't so easy. You need to build a database from the tracks you race at to get a handle on what's going on. After you get that data it's not difficult to see if the track is slow and where or if your setup is slow but you will still have to work out what change to make, I run a mc4 with gps. It's a good reference tool.

Helps a lot if you have a racing buddy that will share data and setup details. With 3 people sharing data and setup details you can really start making up some time.

From a data point of view it doesn't look any more capable than the 4 except you get the gps with the dash. I do like the screen options on the 5. It still logs at 10Hz same as the 4.

Ill stick with my 3

me too. I had a 4, sold it and went back to my mychron 3 gold.

Your average local dirt track racer would get no more use out of a mychron 5 than they would a mychron 3. Now an advanced user that knows how to download data would benefit from the gps data and the lateral g sensor. With the predictive timing with the gps you can instantly see how your corner speed every lap compares to your best lap. The lateral g sensor will tell you how much side bite you have. The gps will also show if gear changes resulted in more acceleration and/or more top speed. Obviously these features are for more advanced users. With his quickly the track changes on dirt it makes it much harder to determine whether changes are for the better. This is why these units will likely be much more popular in asphalt racing, specifically road course.

these features are all available in mychron 3 plus and gold.

I prefer the 3 gold with wheel speed sensor and multiple rpm leds than the mychron 4. I bought a mychron 4, sold it and put my 3 gold back on.

also, I prefer the wheel speed sensor of the 3 gold or 4 with ebox over the gps. it is more accurate, you can see wheel lockup and spin when used on the rear axle, and you can use it to calculate converter slippage. also it doesnt drink a lot of battery like the gps.

finally, one thing I dislike about the 4 vs the 3 is that with the three, all your data from that day is on one file, with different sessions. so if you have three 2 qual sessions and 1 main, it shows sess 1(no of laps) session 2(number of laps) session 3( no of laps.

with the mychron 4, you get a new file for each session. and a new file for every practice session, and if you start the engine and warm it up, you get a new file for that too. so in a race day you could have up to 10 different data files vs one file on the mychron 3.

cumbersome.

me too. I had a 4, sold it and went back to my mychron 3 gold.

these features are all available in mychron 3 plus and gold.

I prefer the 3 gold with wheel speed sensor and multiple rpm leds than the mychron 4. I bought a mychron 4, sold it and put my 3 gold back on.

also, I prefer the wheel speed sensor of the 3 gold or 4 with ebox over the gps. it is more accurate, you can see wheel lockup and spin when used on the rear axle, and you can use it to calculate converter slippage. also it doesnt drink a lot of battery like the gps.

finally, one thing I dislike about the 4 vs the 3 is that with the three, all your data from that day is on one file, with different sessions. so if you have three 2 qual sessions and 1 main, it shows sess 1(no of laps) session 2(number of laps) session 3( no of laps.

with the mychron 4, you get a new file for each session. and a new file for every practice session, and if you start the engine and warm it up, you get a new file for that too. so in a race day you could have up to 10 different data files vs one file on the mychron 3.

cumbersome.

With the Mychron 4, you can easily just put a toggle switch either on top of the motor or somewhere near the motor, and when you want to fire up the engine on the stand to check something, just turn the toggle switch off, otherwise it stays on. The switch just cuts the signal from the rpm lead, which is what turns on the tach when you start the engine.

The 5 can still use wheel sensors with the E-box. it just comes with some of the expansion items built in now is really the difference. Will be interesting to see some of it and wether anyone will ever use it to gain speed will remain to be seen. How many can say they have used all the benefits of the 3 gold or 4 with E-box to actually get faster? I'd say very few, but it is interesting to look at sometimes.

Plus the lithium Ion battery is a plus too, but still has the traditional style battery connectors too It says. we normally carry batteries with us and change them at least once a season. But, regular batteries normally last two seasons, lol. But, being able to charge the Lithium battery at the track would be nice. No need to buy batteries.

Can't wait for the five, all those 4's will be flooding cheap ,no more moving mine from kart to kart between runs ,simply can't wait

I'd guess that they are waiting for existing inventory of Mychron 4's to be sold off before making the 5's available. But the catch is, if you know the 5's are coming, why would you buy a 4?

I'd guess that they are waiting for existing inventory of Mychron 4's to be sold off before making the 5's available. But the catch is, if you know the 5's are coming, why would you buy a 4?

Especially when people are still getting the most out of 3's...

Back