opinion on engine builders

My experience agrees with racing promoter. A local guy should hopefully be more accessible and also more familiar with your local tracks. But try to find out how quick and reliable he is... some builders are really nice knowledgeable guys but don't always have the time or resources to keep up with your needs.

Eventually you may want to learn to build your own engines. The more you know about your kart the better you'll be able to tune it... although if you decide to go the big race series / big money races route then you should go with a proven top builder because it'll be tough to beat his experience and resources.

I got popcorn popping now, anybody want any.

Theres a lot of good engine builders out there, fine a local shop and talk to them, they will always be there for you, if you have any questions about your motor they can help you, have any questions on tires, setup, prep or anything like parts, thats why I say find you a local kart shop in your area and stay with them and build a relationship the owner so you can trust him and he can trust you, who's know your local kart shop will start helping you out more than you know on finding tricks here and there on helping you out to win….jmo….

I agree with everyone that has stated to focus on kart tuning and tires after you get a good hold on what to do here you will likely be very competitive no matter what motors you run

I agree with everyone that has stated to focus on kart tuning and tires after you get a good hold on what to do here you will likely be very competitive no matter what motors you run

Would be correct, you can have the best motor in the world but if you can't plant it to the ground with a good set of tires, and setup you will be lost and blaming it on the motor

Would be correct, you can have the best motor in the world but if you can't plant it to the ground with a good set of tires, and setup you will be lost and blaming it on the motor

Agreed but if you get the best engine right off the bat you only have yourself to blame for bad tires and set up. This way you only have to wonder on two things when you get smoked...lol. Waller builds some good clones he is my local guy.

Agreed but if you get the best engine right off the bat you only have yourself to blame for bad tires and set up. This way you only have to wonder on two things when you get smoked...lol. Waller builds some good clones he is my local guy.

Next time you win a race see if you can get the guy protesting the race to swap motors and go at it again ... Its a real game changer lol

Next time you win a race see if you can get the guy protesting the race to swap motors and go at it again ... Its a real game changer lol

Actually I've done that a few times over the years, and in every case the kart being protested still handed them there Tail, sometimes it's NOT the motor it's just the gearing combo thy got on it as well, but 80 % of the time it's TIRES, Set - up, and DRIVER holding them back .

Ive been looking around for a professional built AKRA clone engine and have found several builders. Of course most of them say the same thing. Race our engine or chase it. Just looking for actual racers opinions on differant builders. Obviously price is a factor. We will be running 1/8 mile dirt oval and a 1/4 mile dirt oval. Thanks for the imput..
Everyone has their own opinions...But for a engine that will pass tech, be very reliable, make great power, and not break the bank, check out Kenny Morehouse with RDR racing engines....he specializes in clone motors, and even has his own dyno !!

( Quote ) he specializes in clone motors, and even has his own dyno !!

Who doesn't have their own dyno that specializes in the clone.

Could I have some butter on mine please????

Actually I've done that a few times over the years, and in every case the kart being protested still handed them there Tail, sometimes it's NOT the motor it's just the gearing combo thy got on it as well, but 80 % of the time it's TIRES, Set - up, and DRIVER holding them back .

Nothing better than spanking someone with there own motor when they are accusing you of running a cheater motor lol

I own SchuPower but have ran Hi-tech, Tim Fishel and Tod Miller that I've borrowed from people. Honestly I could not tell you which one has more power. They all felt strong and fast. Find you a builder who you are comfortable with. Customer service is a big deal too me. I know some local builders(Tucker racing engines) who have just a strong motor and offer good customer service.

I own SchuPower .... Find you a builder who you are comfortable with. Customer service is a big deal too me.
I think (JMHO) that's what it comes down to,,,,,,,mostly. I've seen local builders not be able to keep up with "name" builders, I guess it's who's local to you. Do your homework, if that means asking here than do so. I havnt read one name on this thread that I would not use, obviously I cant use them all because my pockets aint that deep :(
On the same dyno with the same selection of parts can one be overwhelmingly better?

Thanks for all the info now its time to shop.(for tires and a good set up) sounds like tires and seat time might be the ticket for our team. I'll save the money on a big name builder for the time when and if everything else comes together.

Thanks for all the info now its time to shop.(for tires and a good set up) sounds like tires and seat time might be the ticket for our team. I'll save the money on a big name builder for the time when and if everything else comes together.

You just made the best choice right there

I have a name builder do my engines and also experiment with my own...Yes go with a well known builder and spend money on tires and things....

A thread like this is like beating a dead horse. Everybody thinks there motor man is the best or they woulden't be doing business with them. Pick a motor guy and stick with them. If they have been successful they also have tire knowledge that can be as helpful as a good motor.Its not the motor mans deal to give you what tire prep they are running or what will work at your track but usually loyality goes a long way and is usually a two way street. I run Tod Millers stuff and have always been very happy with everything he has ever fixed me.I gained a great motor man and a great friend to boot.

tires, 80% ,setup 15% ..motor 5%... we took a nemesis ..02 model to king of kings race ,,2 years ago,, with a mild predator,, cm2 cam ,, stock valves,, SA predator carb,, nothing special,, and finished 2nd in open class,, turning maybe 6800 rpm,, BUT it was locked down and fast.....

Back