Out of karting for a while and confused on choosing an engine to go with.

Yes Brian you are correct.
The 206 is by far the most popular 4 cycle SPRINT racing engine package. For the first time since the 90's locally we have a "B" main for our green slide (8 to 12 year old class) the gold slide class is getting very close to needing one also.
We had 22 eight to twelve year old entries last week. If they would all show up on the same night we would probably have 30 or more.
At 2 of the local dirt ovals the 206 is by far the most popular also.
I think it would be good for the dirt oval world if the 206 continues to become more popular.
We both know the obstacles there.:)

What are the obstacles keeping the 206 from gaining popularity on dirt ovals?

like politics... all racing is local.... if you bring enough of anything at our tracks they will let you race... we had lawn mowers a few weeks back... we race MARS rules and have gained tracks this year... simple easy to police and Cheap as far as racing goes... 1/3 the price of clones... far less politics and far fewer rules... open tires... guessing usually 100 karts at most races... I don't know what the number is to make it worthwhile for the track to stay open... costs us about $40 per kart per class (pit pass and entry) no one is getting rich we'd run whatever the rules said to run... but for a competitive engine in our classes it's $300 to $400 if you build it with all new parts can maybe get a year out of it with a couple sets of Valve springs and maybe a set of rings

What are the obstacles keeping the 206 from gaining popularity on dirt ovals?

your not allowed to tinker on it... because it is sealed..
many think it is a dud of a motor because its sealed.. quite the opposite. the has a fair amount of power, and is 100% dependable.. keep it cleaned and oiled and let er rip. i have run mine along side clones (box stock) and others and been competitive... you just have to set up the chassis and gearing to meet what you need for he track. for the price i think its the way to go. My.02

The World Formulas (WF) we use are 100% stock from the factory! Not blueprinted! No machine work what so ever! On Gasoline!
Pull start! etc etc. The only modification is that we replace the red 7100 RPM coil with the Blue 12,000 rpm Animal coil. We have found that the fastest way around the track for an experienced pilot is around 7600 RPM. (Sprint racing at the old Briggs Motoplex at Road America, Elkhart lake, Wi.)
On my dyno a LO 206 makes about 9.25 HP and the WF makes about 12.5 HP
So far i have been the only supplier of the engines and i seal the crankcase on them. In our third season this year and the only engine repair i have done is replace one side cover gasket yesterday. If someone else wants to join the fun and has an engine from somewhere else i would have to see it and then seal it.
We use a hilliard Flame clutch and have had no issues with them either.
The engine price is slightly over $800.00.

If this group decides they want to go faster the simplest way to gain about 1/2 Hp would be to go with an aftermarket exhaust pipe and muffler.
I really want to stay away from blueprinting and machine work.

Kartracer 3
For a 1/4 mile track the stock 7100 rpm limit coil may work just fine.

A year out of a clone???
I've got lots of LO 206's with all the original parts on them that are 7 and 8 years old.

I would love to run animal around columbus it would put up some good times i remember the cycles would be beast around that track i ran flat heads i wish more would show up im not 200 lbs and i cant hang 70 lbs of weight that be a lot just to make the flat head class of 365 im wanting to get back into it... but i dnt want a limiter if my grenades than it goes go build another also i rather mine bare blocked at the end of the night verses u putting up money to claim my engine jist saying let get together and bring back to columbus and thwn i bet other tracks her in south would open back up i miss osgood big monster 1/4 mile

There's still plenty of flatheads around Indiana (maybe not so much southern IN) but convincing their owners to run them when the money classes are almost always clone classes is another problem.

The WF engine is a decent package, but the rules were loose enough that it allowed BP-ing of them and a few builders were demanding big bucks for a small advantage that some deemed worthwhile. Thus the cost skyrocketed and the class never caught on (certainly not on ovals.) There is currently not a single track in the midwest that you can run a World Formula class (other than opens.) Convincing others to purchase an engine to only run at Columbus will certainly be an uphill battle, especially considering that the track has just reopened after several long silent years. Running on the big quarter mile may be discouraging to rev limiter racing as well.

The 206 is a great package, and provides good HP (especially at the price-point.)
It is slowly catching on at dirt ovals in the midwest, but again, seems squeezed out by clone class racers chasing the money.

Clones are now at the same price-point as flatheads back in the day -- and that's a big reason that you see so many jumping off of them like fleas from a dead dog. Some are going to the 206, some to the predator, some even back to their old flatheads. Yet others are simply selling out of frustration.
Our industry has been lacking leadership for some time now and repeating history has had some pretty bad results as of late.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Very well put, and well Said,,,, I couldn't have explained it better myself.

Back