pz carb DQ

Steve
As always, thank you for the advise.
No offense but i'm making them for the racer.
Actually having the gauge slightly under the specified size will help the racer make sure his carb is legal.
If a 601" or a .6015" gauge goes through then the carb is definitely illegal.
If tech people want them that's great but that's not my focus.

Jim, Ahhhhhh i thought you was making these tools for the tech man. ( Do you really mean to say this ??????????? ) if a 601" or a .6015" gauge goes through then the carb is definitely illegal ? The Briggs spec says min, but they really mean max!

You are checking for larger than .602 so a .6015 will only tell you it is larger than your undersize gauge will pass through it does not tell you the carb is illegal. Now if your .6015 does not pass you know the .602 will not therefore you should be LEGAL

kart 43
THANK YOU
It was one of those long Mondays.
You are correct:
I meant to say If your .601 or .6015 gauge doesn't pass through you know it's legal.
With the gauge being slightly under size you have a small margin of error.

You are checking for larger than .602 so a .6015 will only tell you it is larger than your undersize gauge will pass through it does not tell you the carb is illegal. Now if your .6015 does not pass you know the .602 will not therefore you should be LEGAL
Bingo !

Just wanted to point out that if the tech gauges are 3 or 4 years old, the first 602"s were made with rounded ends that were easy to wiggle thru the venture unless it was inserted perfectly. The new gauges have square ends, just for your info

I read the rule as the tool may not enter the slide area. I conduct the tech procedure by removing the carburator off the engine and place the carburetor intake side down on the bench. With a slide in the carb, I insert the tool until it stops. I then move the slide up and down with me finger while gently holding the tool in an upright position. If the slide is able to move the tool, I make the ruling that the tool is entering the slide area.
That's the way cup karts does the 602 tech

If you clean your carb with a heated Ultrasonic cleaner .Watch the temp . High heat can put you out . One is the Welch plug may drop out Two . Cold water rinse will warp your carb body . If you use the cleaning additive rinse in soda water to neutralize the additive. Clean and blow dry after .

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted somwthing on this tech ugh.

The opening on airfilter went and was clearly worked with the idle screw having marks on it. With marks on the idle screw would that be iilegal also? I will have to recheck this this coming week for sure if this is the case

I just posted somwthing on this tech ugh.

The opening on airfilter went and was clearly worked with the idle screw having marks on it. With marks on the idle screw would that be iilegal also? I will have to recheck this this coming week for sure if this is the case

I had a carb come through the shop maybe a year ago that had the idle adjuster screw machined (turned down) in a lathe to almost a point. I simply replaced it. That would get a guy dinged I am sure. There's really no reason to fool with modifying the end of this screws as you can set the idle with the throttle cable and back the screws completely out of the carb bore if you so choose. There are threads on this forum that discuss that.
If the screw was considered illegal because of some marks on it, maybe the tech man determined that there was an attempt to modify that screw (which is not legal.)

How much power gain if the carb is .603? This is all very silly, the tech gauge should be something significantly bigger so they're not DQing people for 1/2 a thou.

The confusion happens because now a “no-go” is actually allowed to go, just not too far… the walbro and first batch of Briggs carb have the 602 go in. The rule could’ve been made to be 603 but instead it was just reworded how to check and now we will forever have confusion and innocent people disqualified.

Seen these situations for other parts when no go gages are the tech required tools. Unfortunately many years ago the decision was made to use the PZ22 carb with it’s complicated Venturi bore as the official Animal carburetor. Even walbro didn’t like this carburetor design, that’s why they went out of production with it. Would of been nice to have a carburetor selected with one machined bore, simple and very easy to tech.

I hear you, sundog.
Unfortunately, if the nogo size is made larger to allow some of these early carbs, then they would bring a premium price. FWIW, they already do!
Is the extra "thousandths" worth it? To some racers, yes. The market (demand) determine their worth.
Remember, this is a spec class, not a blueprint class. Some "builders" are really pushing on the spirit and intent rule.
I've got a carb that I show at tech seminars as an example of the tomfoolery going on in the .602" venturi measurement area of the carb and if you look closely you can see what the "builder" is trying to do. I don't mention names, but he's pretty proud of his work and it's engraved right on there for everyone to see.
Integrity is a virtue. Some have it. Some do not.

Seen these situations for other parts when no go gages are the tech required tools. Unfortunately many years ago the decision was made to use the PZ22 carb with it’s complicated Venturi bore as the official Animal carburetor. Even walbro didn’t like this carburetor design, that’s why they went out of production with it. Would of been nice to have a carburetor selected with one machined bore, simple and very easy to tech.
I like it, Steve, and it would eliminate some other "issues" we've all had with these carbs....Now, getting everyone in the country/world to change to another carb might be hard to pull off (even if it is better in the long run.)

I can imagine at some point down the road our government will mandate emission standards even for racing using combustion engines. Not sure where that will lead us🤷‍♂️. Probably see more fuel injection and for sure electric powered race cars.

I can imagine at some point down the road our government will mandate emission standards even for racing using combustion engines. Not sure where that will lead us🤷‍♂️. Probably see more fuel injection and for sure electric powered race cars.
NHRA is already embracing electric tech. It's kind of hard for this old "motor" head to get too excited about silent race engines. :)
If this New Green Deal gets passed, there will be no internal combustion engine racing of any kind. It's already been proposed to eliminate any non-essential uses of motor vehicles...you guessed it -- racing is "non-essential" to some. The intermediate step appears to be to tax the snot out of non-essential off-road motor vehicles. Passing the current bill to eliminate the use of previously registered autos for offroad use (ie street stock race cars) has greater implications than just eliminating one class of racing. This is a stepping stone to eliminate them all. SEMA has a group of lawyers/lobbyists working for us, and representing the motorsports industry, but it's an uphill battle with so many jumping on the environmentalism bandwagon. The RPM act of 2019, then re-introduced in committee in 2021 is a protection act for motorsports. This needs to pass! Look into it and support if if you would. We better stop right there with the politics, or the posts will be deleted. It IS a very real concern though.
Back to the Walbro DQ and tech discussion. :)

Back