Recommended bolt size for lead

Just going to put this out there.

Nylock nuts (and most swedge type locknuts) are only good for the first use. After that, locking ability is much less than initial use.
Positively locking with 2 nuts, or securing with pin of some type gives much more security. For a bonus, both are easier to remove.

Who ever came up with 2 bolts in the area of normal size puck should re-think that one, talk about weakening the area of the seat bolts go. I've see plenty weights come off but never because of the bolt breaking, tabs breaking off yes quite often seat breaking out yes as well.

This is simply a case of not adequately reinforcing the area you are going to be hanging weight on. A single bolt would not hold it either.
Same thing for putting more weight on a mounting tab than it was designed for.
A discussion with seat manufacturers would probably let you know what the design criteria was for the seat.

I doubt they are rated for the concentrated stress of mounting weight without adequate reinforcing.

Last edited:
This is simply a case of not adequately reinforcing the area you are going to be hanging weight on. A single bolt would not hold it either.
A discussion with seat manufacturers would probably let you know what the design criteria was for the seat.

I doubt they are rated for the concentrated stress of mounting weight without adequate reinforcing.

We never broke out a seat using a single bolt, however depending on the weight, we always used a 5/16" or 3/8" bolt with a minimum 2" diameter fender washer under the bolt head on the inside of the seat. YMMV

We never broke out a seat using a single bolt, however depending on the weight, we always used a 5/16" or 3/8" bolt with a minimum 2" diameter fender washer under the bolt head on the inside of the seat. YMMV

My point was, a 5/16 bolt will likely support a 50 lb chunk of lead. It comes down to whether the structure it is bolted to will secure it.

Rules are written assuming the user has the minimum survival instinct.

My point was, a 5/16 bolt will likely support a 50 lb chunk of lead. It comes down to whether the structure it is bolted to will secure it.

We bolted ours the same way, large fender washer inside the seat, and one outside, then the 5lbs puck.
We never ran more than 5lbs per bolt

What Jamie said. Apparently you missed the significance of the part about the 2" fender washers. It's not only about pounds, it's also about pounds per square inch, and distributing pounds over a larger area is a big help in preventing joint failure in portions of the joint (like the underlying structure in this case) other than the bolt.

Who ever came up with 2 bolts in the area of normal size puck should re-think that one, talk about weakening the area of the seat bolts go. I've see plenty weights come off but never because of the bolt breaking, tabs breaking off yes quite often seat breaking out yes as well.

Well said racing promoter ! A lot of times people don't support the bold from the inside of the seat. I think XXX mentioned it - use a large fender washer to support the bolt so it does not pull through the seat. I usually put a large washer on both sides of the seat when mounting weight.

Well said racing promoter ! A lot of times people don't support the bold from the inside of the seat. I think XXX mentioned it - use a large fender washer to support the bolt so it does not pull through the seat. I usually put a large washer on both sides of the seat when mounting weight.

Exactly 2 " fender washers keep them tight you will NEVER have an issue unless you take a bad hit and seat breaks, To say put a second bolt through in such a small space would be better is just to dumb to even talk about.

I'm interested in reading recommendations for a simply worded rule that provides for all weights to be secured adequately in any situation.

An interesting challenge, I think.

Luckily or unluckily we've never need much weight unless syrup racing.
I've seen 2 and 3 five lb pucks stacked on one bolt hanging on the seat. The lever effect has too
Come in to play here. I made a mold similar in shape too the seat , this gave me a heavy weight with plenty of room for two bolts.

Any type of locknut is reusable as long as you can't thread it by fingers past the locking feature. They do get worn out but not after just one use.

I just bought 5 pound lead pucks to put on my kart. They are all pre-drilled for 5/16th. What type of bolt do I need to get? I saw some for sale on a kart site that had the bolt, conical washer, flat washer and nut, but they were asking 8 bucks for one set of it. Is there any place to find all that cheaper? I would think Lowes should have them, but I couldn't find any kind of conical washers so the bolt head wouldn't sit out and dig into my body.

Any good hardware , farm supply , or some home stores. Most use carrige bolts , you might never feel them.

I just bought 5 pound lead pucks to put on my kart. They are all pre-drilled for 5/16th. What type of bolt do I need to get? I saw some for sale on a kart site that had the bolt, conical washer, flat washer and nut, but they were asking 8 bucks for one set of it. Is there any place to find all that cheaper? I would think Lowes should have them, but I couldn't find any kind of conical washers so the bolt head wouldn't sit out and dig into my body.
Check here : TS Racing .com online superstore ; kart accessories - weights and brackets = 5/16 x 2 1/2, 3 , 4 1/2 lengths. Bolt with lrg-washer,reg-washer,nut,lock nut =$1.87 / $2.80 .. click on picture for a visual , make notes , go to hardware store w your list. hope this helps

Csheck : TS Racing.com , online super store ,"kart accessories"- weights and brackets, Buttonhead 5/16 in lengths of 2 1/2 , 3 , (bolt, lrg washer, washer,nut, lock nut, $1.87) 4 1/2 =$2.80 , Also hexhead . click the picture to view the item, button head bolts work very well mounting wght on seats.

Back