Stinger clutch problems

bullerman

Did I get a bad stinger clutch. Bought it new with steel drum.. running the Box Stocl class. It was terrible leaving the grid and on the parade lap jerking and chattering. I sent it off. The shoes were not flat. You could see where it was running in the middle of the shoes.
Got it back. Went to the track today and it's doing the same thing. Running blue springs and tried orange before I sent it off. Didn't make any difference. I w a s told a normal ge ultimate was a good clutch.
I am about ready to buy a Max Torque with a 2600 or 2700 engagment. I have had a Hillard Flame and this Stinger. They both chattered terribly. I have tried Bully and Tuck and run drivers. Neither made any difference.

I did not like the ge ultimate .
A. It does have the fiber shoes though so might not chatter as much . Burnt mine up

Yeah. I don't know what to do. I have about 400.00 in clutches and still don't have one that will work.
How long did it take to burn the shoes up. Got any other suggestions? Went to BJ'S for play day today. I was the only Box Stock there. We can run a disk clutch there and TC when it opens but still have to run a drum clutch at Savage.

It may be set up for outboard and you are running it inboard or vice versa. I also like to sandblast the contact surfaces of the shoes and drum with some aggressive sand. Even a new Stinger must be sandblasted. You will need at least black springs.

It is definitely set up for inboard. I have I have tried blue and orange springs. Blue is supposed to be what I need. Same thing. The clutch looks great. It seems like to me it has a lot of space between the shoes and the drum but it is even on all three. I have read about having the wrong snap ring that holds the driver in. I feel no slack what so ever in mine. I don't know.

Attachments

• 20230131_165455.jpg
    20230131_165455.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 56
What with all the trouble with the hillard which is practically fool proof and now the stinger .
If its not against the rules , it might be best to go with a disc clutch .

I run my chain loose. Maybe to loose so I don't think that's what it is.
I put a little white lithium grease on the needle bearing. Not much though.
Yes sent it to David. The shoes look just as good. It is engaging where it should. I will take a few pictures today. I don't guess I am running the chain too loose. I don't think so.
I am looking at a 85.00 Max Torque to try. Only thing is engagment they say is 2800 to 3000. That might be too high for this box stock.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm just going to be honest, you've had several clutch threads asking for help, after sending the clutch off and all this. It's something you're doing, NOT the clutches. And, I don't think changing clutches or going to a disc clutch is going to make a difference, you're obviously doing something wrong. There is no reason those two clutches won't work for what you're doing, they're what most people run. So if they're not having all the problems you're having, then you're clearly doing something wrong.

You need to have someone knowledgable help you in person.

Last edited:
The stinger chatters a lot no matter who owns it. The jerking was probably the clutch engaging and disengaging from lower rpms. When I raced lo206 with a stinger drum clutch I had the same issues or I thought I did until I had to park my kart in the infield and watched from the infield. On caution laps I heard everyone else's clutch chattering as they drove by me. I talked to a fellow driver and he told me that if it doesn't chatter better be sending it off.

Leaving the grid and parade Laps don't count anyway .
Never hear it at full Song !
If you can't stand it , ya gotta try something else .
Side note i had a smc bullet disc
Clutch that chattered .

ABR. If I doing something wrong I don't know what it is. I haven't ran a drum clutch probably since 98 or 99. I guess it is possible they all do this. As far as I can tell I have the clutch mounted as Stinger shows in the instructions. The clutch is in the right orientation for inboard. It is mounted tight to the crankshaft and is lubed like it should be.
I have never listened to other karts but next time I go I will. Everybody has to run a drum clutch in this class. I took it apart this morning and you can definitely see the chatter. The guy at Stinger it sounded like the engagement was to low. Like I said I tried a little heaverier springs and did the same thing. It won't let me add pictures for some reason. May try to add one per post. I hate to do that.

I am just backwards. I never had a disk clutch chatter. I think I ran four different ones.
When I very first got into this I bought a Noram. It chattered but I had the wrong shoes in it. After I changed the shoes I didn't have a problem. I ran it until I went to a MDC then a Bully. If I am doing something wrong I would truly like to know what it is. When it came back from Martinbuilt I know it is right. The springs should be right for the motor. I don't think that is the issue.
I run my chain really loose and always have. I may tighten it up and try it but I don't think it will make a difference. It is bolted tight to the crankshaft like it is supposed to be.
Other people say theirs chatters. Maybe it is doing what it is suppose to. Thanks for the comments.

From what I've recently read the max torque , with the shoes modified . Should be perfect for you . Shame the stinger has not worked out . I don't think you're backwards or doing anything wrong . You been around too long . Chain adjustment , doubtful . Really loose is hard too gauge . To me thats 1 1/2 of slack or more . Like stated its gotta be right coming back from martin .

Back