Stock too slow? Got me wondering...

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
I know how popular the 5hp briggs was....and I know how popular the Unlimited RWYB style karts are....

So why is the predominant ADULT class using a Animal or similar? Wound't a GX390 be more appropriate for an adult stock situation? And teach drivers how to use their right foot properly too?

Just got to wondering and can't see a good reason why adult karting is using rather anemic engines (on the absolute scale...)

Perhaps it's just "always been done that way" and nobody's bothered to buck the status quo.

~Ted

Have you watched the predominant karting population drive? I think most need to stick with what they have, I think GN at the dump was an good idea of too many people with too much horse power and not enough driver. But, at the same time I agree there should have been something to step most drivers up to more power.

The super stock option was taken out long before we quite racing in 2000 around here at least. Limited was always seen as too expensive. So in the same breath a lot of drivers need access to higher power to learn to drive it, some just need restrictor plates cause they'll never learn to drive.

I think you were just using the UAS AS an example for Hp, but mainly focusing on the "stock" genre, so this partially fits.
The need for the step into the UAS class that people have been leaning to would sort of be pointless if they started the stock 390 type class. Close to the same hp, 4 or 2 stroke. But, I guess age would be the hinderance as I'm sure it would be an adult only class. Making the starter UAS still viable. Anyway, random thoughts jumbled this morning....

I know how popular the 5hp briggs was....and I know how popular the Unlimited RWYB style karts are....

So why is the predominant ADULT class using a Animal or similar? Wound't a GX390 be more appropriate for an adult stock situation? And teach drivers how to use their right foot properly too?

Just got to wondering and can't see a good reason why adult karting is using rather anemic engines (on the absolute scale...)

Perhaps it's just "always been done that way" and nobody's bothered to buck the status quo.

~Ted

I would race stock class again if it were a big block

Clones start out at $98. Any more questions? :)

Big block clones are available too. Wouldn't be any need for all the extra money put into them if they did a class like Carl Williams does with the black sealed predator motors. He buys the engines in bulk, adds a pipe and removes the governer and then he seals the motor and sells them at the track for $150. That's a good deal and cheap racing, I'd imagine a big block would cost a little bit more on front end but the reward would be high.

If I remember right, the Briggs Raptor gained it's popularity as a low-cost alternative to the blueprinted two stroke engines of the day. It only makes sense the same reasoning would drive the popularity of the clone. I don't think speed and power drives the masses; low dollars do.

DK

back to the original post, i think you could cover all the bases with stock 4 cycle, yamahas, and bigger 2cycles. in a perfect world you would think stocker racing would be the bottom of the ladder, then advance up to a small 2cycle or whatnot then wind up at the top of the ladder with say a stock sudam (or UAS or what not) running for big bucks.

I'd like to do something faster in the champ buggies other than animals or clones. ..they had an outlaw champ at a local track a few times but not allot of interest in it. ...hard to cough up money to build up a motor hoping people will show when you know the clones are already there with alot of competition

Time for a BigBore Predator class? :) Use the V-Twin, but leave it stock....and find a rev-limiting coil. :) Along the same lines, I can't figure out for the life of me why the MiniCup cars only use a GX390 instead of a 600cc or similar...

That class already exists, its called AKRA Clone and Stock Appeearing

You missed my point. Builder Prepared seemed similar to the old Super Stock class of flatheads. A stepping stone between stock and Limited Modified. Stock Appearing conjures up images of big $ to most people, same complaint about limited modified and Open. BP was a nice little deal with a bit more power.

I designed a class at my local track called Pa. Caged Controlled Outlaw. It is a flatty with only a few rules. stock crank, billet rod, .060 bore, 400 lift cam, stock valves, any springs, stock head porting and polishing allowed, stainless valves and any spring. animal carb. Class is fast!!! Due to the cost of the class to build the engine , I introduced a clone build last year. The weight for the class is 420. We took a clone block, no predators, stock stroke crank, billet rod, any 3 ring dished piston, no pop up, stock head with 27 mm intake and stock exhaust valve, porting and polishing allowed, 390 carb. 308 cam. Alcohol. The reason I built the engine was because the driver was 60 lbs heavy for the class and he didn't want to give up the sport because of running in the rear all the time. First time out he finished 3rd of 7 karts right on the bumper of the 2nd place kart. Total cost of the build was around 350 dollars. ( no labor ) I am afraid that if I put my son in the kart it will cause issues ( he is at the 420 weight ) so I am going to drop back to a builder prepared engine rules package with a 270 carb for the light guys. Rules on the carb must remain stock except under the bowl. I am working on a driver weight before anyone can run the 390 carb. My point is after all this rambling is that there are clone packages that can be put together for the purpose of the origional post without adding another engine to the mix.

Time for a BigBore Predator class? :) Use the V-Twin, but leave it stock....and find a rev-limiting coil. :) Along the same lines, I can't figure out for the life of me why the MiniCup cars only use a GX390 instead of a 600cc or similar...

I don't like this idea. 90 lb engine making 20hp for 1000?

For the same money you can build a 20 hp ,30 lb engine with better, and safer parts.

Back