Stock too slow? Got me wondering...

If you are talking stock v stock, no doubt 420 ccs will out torque 196cc .
But imo, if we are talking dollar for dollar, built clone v stock big block, the clone should be able to put close to the same amount, if not the same amount of torque, to the ground

71. I haven't ever rode anything with a modified small block and know anything about them. I have a healthy modified big block she's a bad mamma jamma.

Rk. I put a flathead billet flywheel on my 420. Arc sells the hubs for their adjustable flywheel. So I

bought a 390 hub and put it in my flathead flywheel. Made my own coil bracket works good

I was keeping up with the top clones with my 420cc, but I was 105#'s heavier! We are limited to pump gas, so my output with a small block engine is going to peak about 15HP unless I stroke and bore something big time.
I am running a WF with a built predator as a backup this year, so I will see what the best small blocks can do. But for longevity I personally think the entire sport would have been better, based off of the GX270 or Briggs 305 at least. I'd actually love to see Brigg's modernize the 305 with dual ball bearings, steel sleeve, and have it accept the Lo206/WF flywheels and coils as a basis for a Super heavy class and a starting point for open's.

The 420cc is quite a bit lighter, and yes I weighed my fully setup GK-65, and the Predator 420cc, on the scale at 30#'s and 48#'s which surprised me. It is a bathroom scale so maybe +/- a few pounds, but I did the engines alone and then with me holding them to see if the difference was close and it was.
I know the bigger 460 does carry some more weight, but at the same time I'm sure it would hold up better when modified than the 420cc would.
FYI I make everything light, I build my own exhaust's, I cut down the top plates to just a fraction of what they were, every pound counts.

i just want to ask some clarifying questions here. you said your big block with was 48lbs. is this with pull start and stock flywheel intact???

my big block with pullstart removed (-2 lbs) and aluminum flywheel (-10 lbs) was 52lbs. so if you weighed in at 48lbs with those still intact then you could get your big block down to 36 lbs?

how light is a 420 compared to a 460, exactly?

71. I haven't ever rode anything with a modified small block and know anything about them. I have a healthy modified big block she's a bad mamma jamma.

agreed the big blocks are powerful. I have one. it also cost me 4x what a nice small block would.

Back