the process

You are incorrect..... Almost everyone uses a Poly Carbonate (Lexan) and attaches the side panels directly to the nerf bars and it is UAS legal.

Bob,
Paragraph E under bodywork and dimensions clearly says "lexan may be used in wedge design in conjunction with standard kart side panel or other acceptable side panel material as long as the lexan is attached at least 4 inches above the bottom of the standard kart side panel." That's direct quote from the rule book. So anything different should seriously be looked at in tech. As lexan attached directly to the nerf bars is clearly not legal. But then there's always local option I suppose. Those performing tech should really read the rules, all of them, more carefully. Especially when it comes time for new rules and the process of changing them.

More of typical UAS rule clarity issues LOL. I consider the nerfbar to be a standard kart side panel and I have no idea what is meant by attached 4" above means I attach mine at the base and at least 4" above. the people involved in some of this rule writing crap need help LOL If I get Dqed for my wedge Bodys so be it mine run to the bottom of the nerf.

Same as this one which raced at one of Marks series races in PA in 09 Side panels were and are Lexan

Come on Tim. You know a panel and a nerf bar are two entirely different things. You know exactly what the rule reads and what it means. Which is to my point. According to current rules, your body is not "legal" nor would it be at a GN, as the rules are written. But those that enforce the rules, don't necessarily do so as they are written. Read them. Understand them. Hold the racers accountable to be within them.

Bob,
Paragraph E under bodywork and dimensions clearly says "lexan may be used in wedge design in conjunction with standard kart side panel or other acceptable side panel material as long as the lexan is attached at least 4 inches above the bottom of the standard kart side panel." That's direct quote from the rule book. So anything different should seriously be looked at in tech. As lexan attached directly to the nerf bars is clearly not legal. But then there's always local option I suppose. Those performing tech should really read the rules, all of them, more carefully. Especially when it comes time for new rules and the process of changing them.

I did re-read the rules and it also says this at the beginning of 'e.':

e. External body skin or vertical side panels must be made from plastic or a COMPOSITE MATERIAL.

The composite material is 'Lexan' and Tim's body is 100% legal.

So all you have to do is take a junk flat kart swoop body and put a piece 4 inches tall, does say how long so I'll make mine a inch wide and put it in between the the lexan and nerf bar. Sounds logical and legal, lmao

Sorry guys that got hot quick, that kart looks awesome, I'm going to run a 6inch tall piece of plastic like a graphic saver on the outside of the lexan like a skirt and that should work. I like the inside also Mr. Tim

Is it seem rational that a basic, rather simple point in the rules, should not have been settled after say 23 years of this same issue??
Someone......take the lead on this, and other issues, like age, etc. EEEEK ..........PD ............;)

So all you have to do is take a junk flat kart swoop body and put a piece 4 inches tall, does say how long so I'll make mine a inch wide and put it in between the the lexan and nerf bar. Sounds logical and legal, lmao

Oh man..... Get ready guys, here comes the 'Troy Logic'. You might want to write this down cause I promise it will be good......... Are you going to be running tomorrow?

I will say this. That rule has been in the books for a while and not clearly addressed since "lexan gate" on the old bobs. I can assure you that abs plastic shatters and creates sharp edges when broke as well. I also can point out that multiple lexan wedges have been raced in almost every grand national to date.... and attached to nerfs not wka bodies. The rule was imposed when alot of guys were just adding boards to existing wka flat bodies. As long as lexan is attached securely I'm good with it. Jmo.

I will say this. That rule has been in the books for a while and not clearly addressed since "lexan gate" on the old bobs. I can assure you that abs plastic shatters and creates sharp edges when broke as well. I also can point out that multiple lexan wedges have been raced in almost every grand national to date.... and attached to nerfs not wka bodies. The rule was imposed when alot of guys were just adding boards to existing wka flat bodies. As long as lexan is attached securely I'm good with it. Jmo.

Ben, Over half the field that started the Rte 68 GN had Poly Carbonate (Lexan) panels attached to the nerf bars and some of them were the nicest prepared karts I have ever seen.

I think either some are missinturpreting the rule, or I completely missunderstood it. Either way, I bow out of this one as I don't and doubtful will I have a lexan side panel in the near future. So, have fun with this one.

Come on Tim. You know a panel and a nerf bar are two entirely different things. You know exactly what the rule reads and what it means. Which is to my point. According to current rules, your body is not "legal" nor would it be at a GN, as the rules are written. But those that enforce the rules, don't necessarily do so as they are written. Read them. Understand them. Hold the racers accountable to be within them.

Jimbo I know your just busting on the rules to make a point, and they deserve to be busted on. But we do have a new racer here that just want to race like everybody else.
If you want to read the rules to the enth degree step back up to section C and read it. Then explain why you can run no body. Work and just bumpers and nerf bars ?

Most of this stuff is common sense and these threads get carried away allot of times.
I would submit the you jimbo be appointed to review the rule book address any issues that are out of sorts . Submit your findings to the UAS rules committee and let's get these things ironed out so we don't run off people who want to conform to a good basic line of rules.
You can meet me at the GN and get me tossed out for my illegal wedge body I won't mind lol

Tim, I'm just giving the fella some help. Lexan is know to shatter into shards. It is different than HDPE or coroplast or fiberglass and carbon fiber. That's why it is specifically addressed. That's how I read the rules to answer his question. That's all. Everyone turns it into a war on the rules. I am interpreting them to just what is written to try to help a guy out. He may show up at a Florida race and be fine or show up at a Georgia race and get tossed. Better to be safe than leave any discretion on the table.

Tim, I'm just giving the fella some help. Lexan is know to shatter into shards. It is different than HDPE or coroplast or fiberglass and carbon fiber. That's why it is specifically addressed. That's how I read the rules to answer his question. That's all. Everyone turns it into a war on the rules. I am interpreting them to just what is written to try to help a guy out. He may show up at a Florida race and be fine or show up at a Georgia race and get tossed. Better to be safe than leave any discretion on the table.

I've raced with lexan for over 10 years never had it bust into shards, it is specifically addressed in the rules and it specifically states it can be used. Now if you want to run down the busts into shards lane take a look at fiberglass. Ever been speared by a chunk of fiberglass?
I interpret the same rules writing that you read and came up with a different result.
Seeing as how most UAS karts run Lexan and they do so at the GN I think it's fair to say it's legal just as my kart is legal. The above pic.
Just saying no war meant to be started.

No Bob, will not be there, boycotting it since Sambo says we have to have a muffler, won't make a difference but like I told Ed on the phone last night, I don't need Sam and he don't need me lol. Thinking about going to Talledaga to race next weekend. I will miss are good debates and what I can learn from ya Bob. If you haven't had a good conversation with Bob your missing out, lot of knowledge and respect for ya, although I'll always argue my way is better lol. I'll be at the gate pickiting with a muffler tied to my sign lol

My interpretation, which has no value, is that lexan is fine attached to the nerf bars, but IF you attach the lexan to a traditional kart body you must take care to attach it at least 4" above the bottom of the traditional kart body side panel.

My recollection is that this wording was a reaction to an incident that occurred roughly 7 years ago at an indoor race in which a poorly-prepared lexan-over-traditional body setup cracked and fractured during the race. Thankfully no one was injured but the kart was carrying lexan spears at great risk to everyone. From what I understand it was a certain specification of clear material, probably plexiglass, and it was winter, and not properly mounted.

1) We need to clean up the bodywork materials section of the rulebook so that this confusion goes away, as soon as the next rule review process.
2) We need to just take care in the fabrication and preparation of bodywork while following the current rules, as everyone already seems to be doing.
3) We need to try not to scare away new racers with Internet bickering over minor misinterpretations of the rules.
4) Tim Taft is just as much a part of the rulebook as anyone so he doesn't get a free pass to criticize its authors. :)
5) I need to just count points and leave the bodywork and rules interpreting to the pros. Speaking of, no one has sent me any points results so far this year, yet.

I don't see how there is any confusion here....

Lexan can't be within 4" of the ground, plain and simple, use another material from the ground up to four inches and then you can have your lexan go up to the max.

My interpretation, but to me there is no other way to see the rule. I know I said I was done, but I really can't see how this rule is that hard to understand.

Mounting surface Isn't the issue, it's how close to the ground it is placed. Another material is to be used the full length of your given side panel, four inches from the ground. Then your lexan can be attached to the kart however you deem necessary and SAFE!

Is this just completely wrong, am I just that stupid. Or is the rule really that hard to understand?

Ps, lexan doesn't shatter, plexiglass will. Thus it would be hard to police what is an Ian't plexiglass or lexan, this the rule is written so that if someone gets plexiglass they don't mount it to the bottom and take a chance of it contacting the ground and shattering it. ...

Maybe I am just wrong.

ABR, it says attached at least 4 inches above the ground not start 4 inches. Not hard to figure that out. Lol. Like I said before, it says you can use lexan in conjunction with a kart body as long as it's attached at least 4 inches above the ground, it never says how much of the original kart body has to be there, so we can conclude it has to be at least 4 inches tall but no rule on how much of the original body needs to be there, it says in conjunction with, so like I originally said take a old body cut a piece 4" by 1" and slide it somewhere in between and your good to go. Lol. Oh make sure you attach it securely for safety lol

Troy in section C it says you don't have to have a body at all , so how can it then be mandated to be part of the lexan side panel?

Back