UAS and the tire rule thing......

Perhaps if they called the class "World Unlimited Karting Association" for 2 cycle/4 cycle unlimiteds that would end this discussion.

UAS is the only series I have ever heard of that does not want sponsors to come in. Excuse me, they would welcome sponsor money but the sponsor better not expect anything in return.

WKA can run "their "race any way they want. They are the group taking on the financial risk. They have done the math and they believe this is what gives them the best shot at profitability. (A deal with Unilli) They are gambling that you and I will acquiesce and use the Unilli tire and be at Daytona.

UAS better be careful or someone with some business sense is going to start their own "World Unlimited Karting Championship". They could partner with Unilli, Tampax or whoever.

They will have the purses and they will draw the karts. Period....end of story.

I don't think you can say the UAS doesn't want sponsors nor can you say if they do don't expect anything in return.

The UAS welcomes contingency sponsors. This way the customer gets a reward for the purchase use and performance of that product. The sponsor gets bragging and promotional reward for having their product out perform their competitors. In spec series racing you loose that credibility. Unilli tires racing only Unilli tires says nothing about its quality and performance against its rival manufacturer s.

Chris have any spare brooms. I'd love a inside look at that shop.

Perhaps if they called the class "World Unlimited Karting Association" for 2 cycle/4 cycle unlimiteds that would end this discussion.

UAS is the only series I have ever heard of that does not want sponsors to come in. Excuse me, they would welcome sponsor money but the sponsor better not expect anything in return.

WKA can run "their "race any way they want. They are the group taking on the financial risk. They have done the math and they believe this is what gives them the best shot at profitability. (A deal with Unilli) They are gambling that you and I will acquiesce and use the Unilli tire and be at Daytona.

UAS better be careful or someone with some business sense is going to start their own "World Unlimited Karting Championship". They could partner with Unilli, Tampax or whoever.

They will have the purses and they will draw the karts. Period....end of story.

Hoppy, the UAS has no problem with accepting sponsors that don't have a self serving motive to their sponsorship. As you say, WKA can run their race any way they want, but don't advertise they are using UAS rules and then try to change them (and that's what they did for Daytona). There is no way that the UAS will profit from letting Unilli run their programs. If you think I'm kidding, try it and be sure and put some of your own money in that program. Maybe you could call it the 'World Unlimited Karting Association' and run every week at Fruitland. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out.

Bob all sponsors have a self serving agenda. What is wrong with that? If they are successful they can offer more sponsorship. BTW where is your sponsor $.

I don't mind having to buy a few sets to go play, if you ran real cars you'd feel the same. 40 to 50 laps your buying another set. I heard Unillis taking over. A lot of tracks are going to start running them instead of maxxis or Vegas.

I've got $1000 on the West Coast Shootout and asked SGC the engine builder of the Fastest Kart on The West Coast lately to match it, but crickets is all I got in response. There is still time to step up.

I have nothing I am selling kart related whatsoever. I just made a statement last year that if the GN moved any further East I could and would put the first $1000 up toward a West Coast UAS race....Knowing that is just was not going to be an option for me or my team to make the trip for the 3rd year straight. As odd as it sounds. I'm saving money by doing this. If thats self serving then Im guilty. It seemed to come along very nicely from there. I am happy to do it and someone will walk away with at least enough to pay travel expenses. More than we can normally say at any events we run. If anyone with kart related goods or services would like to contribute we would gladly welcome them. This event will be broadcast live via the internet and with Terry Bridges on the Mic I'm sure any and all sponsors will get great exposure for their products or services. We have not been pounding the pavement seeking sponsors, but I feel it can be a win win for anyone that would like to offer any awards karting related.

Last edited:
Bob all sponsors have a self serving agenda. What is wrong with that? If they are successful they can offer more sponsorship. BTW where is your sponsor $.

You might want to look at the contributors of the last few GN's and the real sponsors don't require you to buy their product to run the race.

I think the whole point of what you all race is to be able to be innovative, not owned by any supplier or controlled by any supplier, to set things up to include, do your best to include all, race as a guest at tracks adhering to track rules(which can include a tire rule), be professional, respect other racers, go fast and kick butt.

If done and the series continues to grow, suppliers will make products for you and you won't have to worry about sucking up to a supplier to be able to race.

Again I do support kart business. In fact most UAS members support kart business more than most karters. The difference is as you call it, Chris, freedom. For example, I got some free product at a Tri State race long long ago and after that I can say I rarely use any other prep, other than occasionally Hot Lap. I appreciate their support to UAS. If they would have enforced a rule mandating thise products I wouldn't be using them. Once more, most pro STOCK big money classes are winner takes everything. I said most. Take for example the Thunder or other $20, 000 race. If anybody else is paid is not much. Most times nothing. And I am talking about the top pro class in those events, not the rest of the classes. Support is not only about money. IMO just by building and developping the Sudams Buller has someway supported open racing more than many other. And Hoppy this time I really disagree with your opinion on UAS and WKA. By trying those rules WKA is failing to get enough entries once and again, even with the attraction of a name like Daytona. That's one of the reasons why WKA keeps incresing the entry fees and with all those tire rules pays nothing or lower than any other organization. For most of the UAS drivers it is cheaper to be able to go to any race and run whatever tire they have doesn't matter where they race at than buying the tire mandated by each particular track or region. UAS has grown and survive because it is unique and different from other classes or associations. I respect Chris because he brings innovation but at the same time he can behave when a decision or outcome is not what he expects. Many forms of racing have innovation. Few of them require respect and camaraderie like UAS. IMO UAS is gonna be alive as long as it sticks to its principles and will only die when it lets outsiders set the rules for their own benefit. Now, can I get the broom? I deserve it.

I may not be posting as much...Seems I may have a job sweeping at an undisclosed compound for a while.....No electronic devices allowed,... :)
chris, can you bring any broom or is it going to be prc brooms only and are you sweeping under uas rules, and is it sanctioned or not?

"And now a message from the sponsor of this post"

I am sure getting sponsors for the UAS is difficult. Why, because the participation is so low. Sponsors "expect" a return on their investment (sponsor $). If they don't expect anything from it then it is more likely a donation not a real sponsorship. I know the difference because I get asked to do both from time to time. I expect nothing from a donation and usually do it anonymously. Sponsorship money is akin to my advertising dollars that we spend. We are putting our $$$ up in order to get business from it. If we don't see a return from it we don't do it again. It is a good way to stay in business.

I don't mind having to buy a few sets to go play, if you ran real cars you'd feel the same. 40 to 50 laps your buying another set. I heard Unillis taking over. A lot of tracks are going to start running them instead of maxxis or Vegas.

^^^I heard the same thing^^^, like I said before in another post I'll take a buy one get one free to try out. Where do I sign up?

7am... and not a single "broom pusher" showed up! Not even Chris Seay... we had Southern Gospel music playing and Umax banners hung in place to make him feel at home... just in case. Oh well, we'll leave the Gospel music, but the banners are coming down since Chris didn't show.

I'd bring my own broom to sweep Phantoms shop. I'd love to watch how Harrill's guys and his robots work. I might just learn a thing or two.

"And now a message from the sponsor of this post"

I am sure getting sponsors for the UAS is difficult. Why, because the participation is so low. Sponsors "expect" a return on their investment (sponsor $). If they don't expect anything from it then it is more likely a donation not a real sponsorship. I know the difference because I get asked to do both from time to time. I expect nothing from a donation and usually do it anonymously. Sponsorship money is akin to my advertising dollars that we spend. We are putting our $$$ up in order to get business from it. If we don't see a return from it we don't do it again. It is a good way to stay in business.

Actually if you look up the definition of sponsorship you'll find its a mechanism to promote support and give endorsement.

Sponsor dollars are for the purpose of supporting a cause or event. Advertiser dollars are for a return on investment. And its very difficult to mandate a return on advertisement.

Its also very difficult to gain a financial support system for a club such as the UAS due to its fractional membership series.

I see lots of criticism but very little if any advise or opinion on how to gather a advertiser or sponsor for the UAS.

7am... and not a single "broom pusher" showed up! Not even Chris Seay... we had Southern Gospel music playing and Umax banners hung in place to make him feel at home... just in case. Oh well, we'll leave the Gospel music, but the banners are coming down since Chris didn't show.

Now that's funny. Lol.

Jeez Either race or don't, as long as its a required tire is not UAS sanctioned.... Done deal. Who knows, maybe there is speed in the Unilli tires just waiting to be found. If I had the means I'd be there with Unillis on and smiling.

Ben,

Well said!

Now I gotta go help my guys put on a metal roof for a client.......

Now that's funny. Lol.

Jeez Either race or don't, as long as its a required tire is not UAS sanctioned.... Done deal. Who knows, maybe there is speed in the Unilli tires just waiting to be found. If I had the means I'd be there with Unillis on and smiling.

Back