UAS Divisionals

Taft Racing

We had some great races this past year. With the fantastic show the guys and gals put on out in Arizona and a great showing at the North East Divisional. It'd would be a good Idea for some thought on creating a chain of National Divisional's for 2014. North East has set a pretty good precedence.

I don't think it will take too much to assemble a South East Divisional. The western boys have a great crowd for a central California potential. How about the central regions? can we get some people to start thinking of putting on some events? Illinois, Oklahoma, Texas?

With Divisional Championships you guys who cant make the big trips could go earn your self's a Divisional Championship. spur on some bi state competition.

Brand new year time to plant some seeds of thought. Support classes. Yamaha open class? UAS support class?

Tim I really like the idea of Regional national events. This is just what the series needs to evolve to the next step of the kart racing spotlight. If iam following you these would be events for multistate areas or divisions where the series could turn out a very large field of karts and possibly huge crowds of spectators. That would be very simular to the national championship event. IMO this would be just what is needed to acquire a lot of sponsership to reward the budget racers and supplement their racing funds. I know that would help me out cause im on a tight budget. Big events and lots of fans is what gets national attention. i know that from the WKA nats. my son and I used to race back in the 80s. The yamaha class in a open format as a support class would also be awsome. By open do you mean any mods accept strokers or what? I know many of the local UAS guys around here have the old yamahas and could bring them with their unlimited karts and race two classes on the same weekend, thats cool. That would make a two day event at each race right, yammies one day and big boys the next. Even a bigger bang for our traveling bucks and more racing fun. I know i would like it if I get my modified engine soon. I already have the flame throwing yahama of my own design that i would like to test against some of the others . I think my buddy Jack B. would like it too he still has a warm spot in the old heart for them yammies and had it rolling real good a Daytona. How ya planning on working the points on these events. Any ideas yet on that how will work?

Wayne Felch and I were talking about something similar recently, mostly just a western nationals type race, which Tim Chase has been a huge proponent of. I honestly think in the long run it will help UAS. The country is just too big for us on the west coast, so we especially have to do things to keep up and build memberships when the "national" championship race in Tenn is quite simply, not even an option for almost all of us out here. Dividing the country up a little will do nothing but help membership overall. For a lot of us, winning a region is not special enough to justify membership, but the national championship is unrealistic. There has to be a middle ground I think to really tie this very large piece of real estate together.

Wayne Felch and I were talking about something similar recently, mostly just a western nationals type race, which Tim Chase has been a huge proponent of. I honestly think in the long run it will help UAS. The country is just too big for us on the west coast, so we especially have to do things to keep up and build memberships when the "national" championship race in Tenn is quite simply, not even an option for almost all of us out here. Dividing the country up a little will do nothing but help membership overall. For a lot of us, winning a region is not special enough to justify membership, but the national championship is unrealistic. There has to be a middle ground I think to really tie this very large piece of real estate together.

That is exactly right. We need to have these championships to help grow the regions. A multi state west coast championship would help bring new faces to your local events and give the guys some thing to strive for. Not every one can afford the trip to the gn. Those who finish in the top of your divisional's may be inspired to continue on for the national title. But it all starts with individual efforts at home. It would great to see a west coast divisional champion crowned in 2014.

Then there's the timing question. Before or after the Grand National or both? Both might work. For example the 2015 West Coast Divisional could start with the Holiday Classic and then follow up with the BK Memorial. (Just thoughts.)

For points the NE Divisional had a good thing going by just replacing the GN with the NE Div and otherwise calculating points the same way as the national championship.

Funny thing, before there was a national championship there were regional divisional races that weren't tied to points. See 2005/2006/2007. We had a Winter National in FL, Summer National in the Carolinas, Fall National in the Northeast. In 2007 we started tracking points from every regional event and the national events for a national championship and the rest, as they say, is history. :)

Brand new year time to plant some seeds of thought. Support classes. Yamaha open class? UAS support class?

I think a yamaha class should be run with all UAS races bring more people to track and more track time and more reason to get tire componys to offer thick rubber again

I think a yamaha class should be run with all UAS races bring more people to track and more track time and more reason to get tire componys to offer thick rubber again

We just need to keep replaying your performance at daytona. That'll be a easy sell.

Hey Tim have you came up with the rules package for the Yammi yet. I like the idea no teching except no stroker cranks and reeds. Maybe stock appearing Walbro carbs, or not. Just wondering some of the details. If the divisonals are going to go towards the national championship then wouldnt they have to be before it? It would be real cool to have 4or 5 Divisons with a champion in each. Locate the race track for each divisonal in the middle of each divison so no one has to drive super long distances. Maybe make the points for each divisonal where anyone can come and race, but the guys not in that divison only get partial points compared to the ones from that divison. That way anyone can come and race if they want and can afford to but keep guys with lots of cash from hitting all the divisonals to rack up lots of extra points. Just some ideas to think about

I think we'll need to establish divisional's first. If we can get enough to cover all the regions then we can discuss a point system with regard to the nationals. For now it would be great to help all the grass routes series to have a opportunity to reinforce their specific regions and racers. Just trying to build the uas to a more power house division of open modified kart racing.

I think it would be great to see the promotion of divisional's in the center states and west coast. Only way we can really condense such a large country. I'd love to be able to set my sights on a trip to Oklahoma or california to see meet and enjoy top end racing. Wouldnt happen every year but having large events to chose from would be awesome.

Most tracks around here only need 5 karts to create a class. I was thinking of trying to convince some of othe SOKS and CUAS guys to throw a KT on a backup chassis to play on non-outlaw weeks.... bounce between some other NC tracks (Woodleaf, Carolina 120, Bear Creek, Liberty, Coleridge, Millbridge) and run just for the heck of it, no prize money, bragging rights. Wedges, no noses, treads or slicks, stock appearing with a weight break for gas / WKA stock engines. A quasi-support series if CUAS or SOKS wanted, but mostly an excuse for more track time with low pressure.

Most tracks around here only need 5 karts to create a class. I was thinking of trying to convince some of othe SOKS and CUAS guys to throw a KT on a backup chassis to play on non-outlaw weeks.... bounce between some other NC tracks (Woodleaf, Carolina 120, Bear Creek, Liberty, Coleridge, Millbridge) and run just for the heck of it, no prize money, bragging rights. Wedges, no noses, treads or slicks, stock appearing with a weight break for gas / WKA stock engines. A quasi-support series if CUAS or SOKS wanted, but mostly an excuse for more track time with low pressure.
I like the no nose idea!

UAS divisionals are a great idea, a Midwest one could combine, Iowa UAS, Illinois UAS, Central Plains and Indiana UAS at a central location which could be Lasoski, Shimek, Cotonwood or Newton possibly. As far as support classes, don't reinvent the wheel because the UAS following is just finally starting to grow in some areas no need to introduce something new. There are plenty of WKA/IKF Yamaha's around, that would be a great support class, a stock appearing 4 cycle class etc.

UAS divisionals are a great idea, a Midwest one could combine, Iowa UAS, Illinois UAS, Central Plains and Indiana UAS at a central location which could be Lasoski, Shimek, Cotonwood or Newton possibly. As far as support classes, don't reinvent the wheel because the UAS following is just finally starting to grow in some areas no need to introduce something new. There are plenty of WKA/IKF Yamaha's around, that would be a great support class, a stock appearing 4 cycle class etc.

Perfect example. Thanks. Looking through Facebook pictures of all the Yamaha's in the Midwest that could turn into a 2 day event real quick

The sportsman UAS class in the northwest is really catching on, not sure what the rules are exactly, but they combine the KTs and small block 4strokes.

I like the idea if open Yamaha. Stock stroke rule every thing else goes. Makes for a no hassle non evasive stroke check. I don't know enough about all the other engines to even comment on a rules format. The less tech requirements the better . IMO.

I think we'll need to establish divisional's first. If we can get enough to cover all the regions then we can discuss a point system with regard to the nationals. For now it would be great to help all the grass routes series to have a opportunity to reinforce their specific regions and racers. Just trying to build the uas to a more power house division of open modified kart racing.

You know, this was proposed 2 years ago. Just a little at-a-boy call out for the guy who came up with the proposal that got botched......you know who you are! I told you to give it a little time.
Mike

I'm with speedy. I think a ikf or wka Yamaha support class would be best. That way people won't have to go out and hot rod a Yamaha. They could just use ones around and be competive instead of how much money an you throw into a Yamaha. I would rather throw money into an open motor. You can go much faster that way. ��

You cant throw much money into a yamaha. Cost to build a open is about the same to build a stocker after they both have beed blueprinted . Only diefference is maybe if the class doesnt use stock appering carb Walbro style. The rest is just port work head work, still use same gaskets, bearings . The only other thing that can change cost is using sudan pistons and rods. Dont believe it worth the difference in cost though. Just change rods more often or as I do shot peen them. On alky these opens can make 28 to 30 hp and do it real cheap. There is also no tech at the track to do. Ikf,WKA requires a lot more tech. Plus A top notch stocker blueprint or rebuild by Gary Woltjer is about 1,200 to 1600 for IKF or WKA. I can do about two opens for that as can most of you if you do your own port work. Buy a blueprint engine on here for 400 and 200 for a complete rebuild.

Back