UAS Divisionals

Since we started the Yamaha class in FL like 5 yrs ago it was voted on the SA with no strokers. Any piston Walbro carb any pipe. Gotta look like a Yamaha from the outside. To be honest we never said you couldn't run reeds. It had to look like a stock Yamaha from the outside! The only reason for the stroker rule was to keep cost down. Racing UAS is expensive enough. Most of us were running UAS and Yamaha. We just wanted more track time and to have fun without the price tag that's all.

Frankie

In the Northwest we have started a UAS Sportsman class. I spent a little time talking to engine builders, both two and four stroke. What we have come up with has worked good so far. We wanted to have an open class just like the bigger one, but have a smaller engine size cap. We also wanted to include as many engines as possible. We are running open 100cc piston port at 340#, 100cc reed and rotary (before '98) at 370#. On the four strokes, 212cc at 340#, and 250cc at 370#. They have been really even on the track. All of the body rules and everything else is all UAS. We also have a minimum age of twelve for Sportsman racers.

Personally I think it is absolutely critical that we start running a West Coast championship race. There are many great and possible national championship quality racers that either can't afford or do not want to spend the money to go back east. We need to have the best of the best racing together. Let's do it!

Wayne
Oregon Region UAS

Awesome. I have no doubt you guys will have a huge turn out for a west coast championship. I'll bet you'll draw a few central and east coast guys as well.

How much did you pay for your professianaly built engine? As I have said before Gary Woltjer lives real close to me and I know what he gets for a rebuild on his engines 1000$ or about 1600- 1800 for a new.Mark at Comet gets 1600 -1800 for a new blueprinted engine Iam sure claussen it about the same . Thats what it takes to be competetive in stockers. Thats why The WKA doesnt have hardly any of left except the juniors, and those are fading quick and becoming clones. Stockers are a joke dollar for dollar compared to a SA for the hp difference. The average racer can build 3 SA KTs for that if they already have the stock KTs. We were talking about cheap hp, not the cost of a UAS open engine. And the tech work if not done at every race allows for a lot of fudging Port work on the intake cannot be seen even with the head pulled.Look at the post on what it takes to make a SA KT on the Yamaha daytona thread. Have you ever tried to do your engines yourself. The kt is so simple its a no brainer.

Why would you ever go out and buy a new Yamaha. There are so many yamahas out there. It's way cheaper to buy a used one,and take it to you favorite engine builder. You save close to half instead of going out and buying everything new.

How much did you pay for your professianaly built engine? As I have said before Gary Woltjer lives real close to me and I know what he gets for a rebuild on his engines 1000$ or about 1600- 1800 for a new.Mark at Comet gets 1600 -1800 for a new blueprinted engine Iam sure claussen it about the same . Thats what it takes to be competetive in stockers. Thats why The WKA doesnt have hardly any of left except the juniors, and those are fading quick and becoming clones. Stockers are a joke dollar for dollar compared to a SA for the hp difference. The average racer can build 3 SA KTs for that if they already have the stock KTs. We were talking about cheap hp, not the cost of a UAS open engine. And the tech work if not done at every race allows for a lot of fudging Port work on the intake cannot be seen even with the head pulled.Look at the post on what it takes to make a SA KT on the Yamaha daytona thread. Have you ever tried to do your engines yourself. The kt is so simple its a no brainer.
You know what new motors cost, so I will let you assume on what we spend on motors.... Quite frankly I do not build my own motors because tires and chassis tuning is my specialty, that is what I focus on, I do tires and prep for our own team which covers classes from stock 4 cycle to UAS, dirt to coke syrup and I do tires and prep for customers. I have a background in tool and die machining and am sure I could do it, but I choose to focus my time and effort on what I feel puts us in the best position to win against tough fields of karts and leave the motor stuff to those who focus their efforts on that. Lets just agree to disagree, both of our views are based on opinion.....

Why would I do something myself when I can pay a professional to do the same job? That would be like me doing surgery on myself! I am trained and have experience in certain areas. My time is too valuable to spend on doing an OK job on porting an engine when I have a valued engine builder I know I can count on to do a top notch job.
That affords me the time to work on things that I don't have someone to do it for me. I totally understand the pride that comes with doing something yourself but at some point, you have to understand and accept when you don't have the proper tools or time to invest in the R&D it takes to have a top level engine program.
Mike

I do what I can on my own and what I don't have tools to do I get it done by someone else. You got to know your limitations. LOL

I give up the YAMAHA IS A DEAD HORSE AND THERE ISNT ANY SENCE IT CONTINUING TO WHIPP IT. Cant see any hope in it running with the UAS, support class or not. Just get my open motor going and leave the Yammi at home. I guess thats why the UAS works as good as it does A racer can build a engine if he sharp enough or have it done by a pro. Spend just a little more on a real UAS open and forget the Top professionaly built stocker KTs. But I still think the divisonals are a good idea.

It's been a dead horse for a long time. That's how karting works. The flatheads are going to be next. I've never understood people wanting to spend all this money on a clone Orr flat head and only go 30 miles an hour. I've raced a flathead once and it was really boring. Yamahas are way more fun!

How did a UAS division thread become a debate over stock Yamaha class?
Its kinda a throw it out there thread. The yamaha came from my original post. It's not that any thing is actually created here on these threads. But it does stir thought. I've put together a support program for the florida series using allot of the commentary on here as useful info. There's a committee that will handle any actual support classes for the GN. it's up to all the administrators to work out a support class if and only if they chose. Bobs 4 cycle has it's good and bad as far as these threads. The yamaha class was allot of fun for the guys who raced it at Daytona didn't matter if there were 5 karts 10 or 50 they just had fun. If a sponsor would put up some kind of program for a stock yamaha class, I'm sure there would be one. For absolute sure a class will not be organized from a simple thread on bob's.
At least were talking about it. you never know who reads these things and decides to do some thing.

Its kinda a throw it out there thread. The yamaha came from my original post. It's not that any thing is actually created here on these threads. But it does stir thought. I've put together a support program for the florida series using allot of the commentary on here as useful info. There's a committee that will handle any actual support classes for the GN. it's up to all the administrators to work out a support class if and only if they chose. Bobs 4 cycle has it's good and bad as far as these threads. The yamaha class was allot of fun for the guys who raced it at Daytona didn't matter if there were 5 karts 10 or 50 they just had fun. If a sponsor would put up some kind of program for a stock yamaha class, I'm sure there would be one. For absolute sure a class will not be organized from a simple thread on bob's.
At least were talking about it. you never know who reads these things and decides to do some thing.
Agreed!
Mike

I give up the YAMAHA IS A DEAD HORSE AND THERE ISNT ANY SENCE IT CONTINUING TO WHIPP IT. Cant see any hope in it running with the UAS, support class or not. Just get my open motor going and leave the Yammi at home. I guess thats why the UAS works as good as it does A racer can build a engine if he sharp enough or have it done by a pro. Spend just a little more on a real UAS open and forget the Top professionaly built stocker KTs. But I still think the divisonals are a good idea.

That is why I run UAS because the rules work. No bs about the rules. Well most of the time lol

Big Felchy said:
Personally I think it is absolutely critical that we start running a West Coast championship race. There are many great and possible national championship quality racers that either can't afford or do not want to spend the money to go back east. We need to have the best of the best racing together. Let's do it!
Wayne
Oregon Region UAS
Wayne,
I'd suggest that yourself, Ronnie Cox, old Old as Dirt, and a couple more racers further south down your coast, just form a committee and set up the races. Call yourselves the West Coast division run your schedule, run a West coast championship race.....all welcome to attend.....and win!

I think its a great idea to have an east and a west championship. Trying to make it a true national is asking roo much of a sport that isnt that big. If there were real sponcers to go after to make cross country travel realistic for more then just a few it would be different. But kart racing is still in the hobby category. Until a racer can make back travel expenses with a top 30 finish you wont get the cross country travel from enough teams. Karts jjust aren't big enough to warrent 1 national champion. Cuz you won't get the best. Just the ones who can afford a week off work along with the money to travel 1500+ miles. Plus everything else that's needed to be prepared for dirt racing in a new area to them. Plus the gn should bring home a 10k ckeck.

Back