UAS Divisionals

You know, this was proposed 2 years ago. Just a little at-a-boy call out for the guy who came up with the proposal that got botched......you know who you are! I told you to give it a little time.
Mike

Mike if your just stirring the pot I'd like to point out divisionals wete part of the original proposal for the current system. But everything could not be enacted until we grew the sport nationwide. Can you please try and stay on a positive note.

You could sink some money ir time whatever you want to call it. All the things you said earlier plus you could stroke it. Then put a reed cage on it and then go alky. You know someone will do it.

You could sink some money ir time whatever you want to call it. All the things you said earlier plus you could stroke it. Then put a reed cage on it and then go alky. You know someone will do it.
That's why I like the suggestion above in this thread of "no reeds" and a rule on stroke. Easy to measure stroke - so easy I can do it!

That's why I like the suggestion above in this thread of "no reeds" and a rule on stroke. Easy to measure stroke - so easy I can do it!

If you make rules then its not really an "open" yamaha class. if your going to have rules might as well keep them as stockers.

That what the above post stated only rules for the class is no strokers and no reeds.Tech requires looking in carb and running a dial caliper down spark plug hole. That's the great thing about the class no cheating because everything is legal except two things and their easy to check. Have you ever done a tech on a WKA engine cc heads, check bore, check carburetor, check stroke, check ports. Thats as bad as the clone class, it sucks. Plus the cost of a top WKA engine is even more to get max out of a stocker. You tell me guys wont go to Gary woltjer and spend the money to have the best stocker money can buy, HA HA don't kid yourself. That's what put the stock Yamaha out of business in the WKA and IKF to much money for a stock engine that makes 18 or 19 hp. This is why we now have lawnmower engines on karts called clones. If you don't like the word open then call them stock appearing hows that. With the same mentality I can say how can you have a modified engine series that has different RULES for every engine in the same class. This is a support class UAS will not want a bunch of tech work to do , they already have plenty with the modifieds. Besides no one has to run the Yamaha if they don't wont to. Just run your open engine and don't mess with the Yamaha. Keep the class cheap and hassle free, its just for fun anyway and to help get more karts to the track for a bigger turn out to the UAS event. Also give the open boys a little more track time if they want.

I just saw the word open. I hate when people make these "open classes and then have a pile of rules. I think you are right on calling it a stock appearing class. I really like running the spec Yamaha. There's piles and piles of them around here anyways. I've never heard of a stock appearing race around here, so to do stock appearing it's just one more motor to have. Either way though would be good. Whatever would bring back 2 cycle racing I'm all for.

Mike if your just stirring the pot I'd like to point out divisionals wete part of the original proposal for the current system. But everything could not be enacted until we grew the sport nationwide. Can you please try and stay on a positive note.
What is the meaning of your invented word "wete"?
Oh.....and quit trying to act like you run stuff. You run nothing but your own yap.

What is the meaning of your invented word "wete"?
Oh.....and quit trying to act like you run stuff. You run nothing but your own yap.

Um sorry mr doss its a smart phone tiny little letters big fat fingers. "Were " is the word that was miss spelled. And what exactly am I running?. If trying to spur conversation and keep a thread on track is running some thing then yes I am. May we continue now thank you.

That what the above post stated only rules for the class is no strokers and no reeds.Tech requires looking in carb and running a dial caliper down spark plug hole. That's the great thing about the class no cheating because everything is legal except two things and their easy to check. Have you ever done a tech on a WKA engine cc heads, check bore, check carburetor, check stroke, check ports. Thats as bad as the clone class, it sucks. Plus the cost of a top WKA engine is even more to get max out of a stocker. You tell me guys wont go to Gary woltjer and spend the money to have the best stocker money can buy, HA HA don't kid yourself. That's what put the stock Yamaha out of business in the WKA and IKF to much money for a stock engine that makes 18 or 19 hp. This is why we now have lawnmower engines on karts called clones. If you don't like the word open then call them stock appearing hows that. With the same mentality I can say how can you have a modified engine series that has different RULES for every engine in the same class. This is a support class UAS will not want a bunch of tech work to do , they already have plenty with the modifieds. Besides no one has to run the Yamaha if they don't wont to. Just run your open engine and don't mess with the Yamaha. Keep the class cheap and hassle free, its just for fun anyway and to help get more karts to the track for a bigger turn out to the UAS event. Also give the open boys a little more track time if they want.

I love the concept, but the reality of this proposal is it is another class in the already over saturated world of karting. Some people are ok with going to race 3-5 people at most, I am not ok with that, I would rather go to a show with at least a full field or more. In the midwest at least, we have enough IKF/WKA Yamaha's for full fields, the last race we ran a Yamaha at there were 15 or 16 karts in the field.

I just saw the word open. I hate when people make these "open classes and then have a pile of rules. I think you are right on calling it a stock appearing class. I really like running the spec Yamaha. There's piles and piles of them around here anyways. I've never heard of a stock appearing race around here, so to do stock appearing it's just one more motor to have. Either way though would be good. Whatever would bring back 2 cycle racing I'm all for.

I'm kinda in the same boat here in Florida.I'm going to add a support class to the Florida AllStars schedule. It would be nice if every one came up with a solid program that every one could use as a guide line. A under class that helped bring the racers back out or brought new younger racers over to modified racing has to be only a good thing.

My question to guys like you that have lot's of stock yamaha's would be do you still have races where you all show up? Do you guys have tech after the races? Do you use all the go/nogo guages ect. Is there any actualy racing going on where these rules are used and backed up with actual tech?

In our area there are a ton of yamaha's all most all of them are sitting dormant. Guys running this class or at least the ones that show up have issues with each other all the time. I don't want to stick my nose into that bee hive. So I'd be more interested in a Open yamaha class with only a stroke rule. It would be easy enough to pull a plug and measure stroke. The guys who have to follow the strict stock rules bring all kinds of bickering and finger pointing and too me just take the fun of racing right out of it.

Other than a Open yamaha class I think adding a 25hp open engine class. But I have no clue what engines in the industrial engine structure fall into that realm. The more work it takes to maintain rules and tech and sorting out who's running what and who's over the limit it just kills any desire to get involved.

any how I'm glad you guys are chimming in. Lets the rest of us know what's out there and who's wanting to go racing. Thanks Tim

That's awesome that you had that many karts in a Wka format. Hard to believe but still great. Was this a can class or pipe. Was it a stand alone class and did they do a complete tear down of the engines to tech them. This is the only way to prevent cheating in that type of format for the stock Yamaha. This is the dilemma with the stockers you have to tear them down completely and check everything as I stated above. I ran WKA Yamaha in the 80s and the expense of a top quality stocker is immense. Can run a Sudan for the same money. Gary Woltjer lives here in Tulsa and I know him well and what he charges for engine rebuilds. Most of us here in Okla run stock appearing engines because they are cheaper and need very little tech. Are you callable of building a Yamaha or do you have yours built by a engine man and what does that cost? If you do build your own how do they compete with the top stocker engines like Woltjer, Classen, Comet and many others I have not mentioned The cost of the opens is much cheaper if you can do the work yourself and that's a fact. Plus on alky they will make much more hp.With a 109cc big bore piston and some port work and the right pipe and alky 26-30hp is very reachable. As stated before this is a supporting class just for fun. Do you think it is in the UAS best interest to tear every kt100 completely down and tech everything, I don't and if I were them I wouldn't. Just don't have the class at all, keep things as they are now. This was a suggestion to try and get a two day event and get more karts to the UAS race and guys more track time racing. And what makes you think that there will only be a small # of kts show up, where are you getting that info from. Seems to be just an opinion and that doesn't really represent any factual evidence. Guess we wont know until its given a try. I know there are many sections of the country that run stock appearing kt classes and know many on Bobs that do.

Last edited:
Tim,
I'm just giving the guy a shout out. The only stirring in place here is a little excitement. The divisional direction is a great path. It allows another step for each area and it allows for multiple races to expand the UAS exposure opportunities while keeping opportunities "localized".
Why would you take the post as negative? There is zero inclination to go in that direction and nothing in the post to suggest anything in that direction.
The original seasonal "nationals" were essentially a similar idea. I participated in the 03 Fall Nationals in PA. I do believe that in the coming years, the divisionals should be prior to the GN.
Mike

Maybe this all seems too simple for the 2 stroke crowd, but if your going to have a true support class you better include 4 strokes as well. If you want the fast guys involved anyway :) in case you don't know or havnt noticed some of us have always ran 4 strokes and have enjoyed beating up on the 100 cc smokers with our 200 cc 4 strokers. Common sense would suggest a support class that would include both.

Have low entry fee and no prizes... Maybe 2 trophies that get traded week to week -- a plastic horse head trophy for the winner and a plastic horse rear end for last place... Take the incentive to go all-out away and keep it fun and close.

That's too cool Ted I love it. 20$ entries winner take all might help pay for some tires. The trophies are awesome. Don't know anything about the small 4strokes but maybe they could have their own class. Back to the tech problems. I know the clone classes have quite a bit of tech work at our Friday night track. That's what everybody not getting keep it as simple as possible to get UAS to consider doing it. Two days of racing fun at a race. These are support classes for fun

Around here we race animals flat heads and clones. Only engine rule is 14.5 ci max to keep cost and breakage down. Their are a lot of flat heads out there that meet that requirement, and they get a healthy weight break. A lot of racers out there have modified animals that would be perfect for it as well. 20 karts in the class is normal and I can't wait to see how many the UAS guys will bring with them in sept to add to the 20 already running. Should be a great show with the bonus of a big pay out. So from my understanding this will already be a support class at the nationals, maybe it could be offered at other races around the country as well. I think it would be a big hit, especially in the south.

Maybe this all seems too simple for the 2 stroke crowd, but if your going to have a true support class you better include 4 strokes as well. If you want the fast guys involved anyway :) in case you don't know or havnt noticed some of us have always ran 4 strokes and have enjoyed beating up on the 100 cc smokers with our 200 cc 4 strokers. Common sense would suggest a support class that would include both.

Got to let the small four strokes in too, I got a few laying around that need to be run.

In the Northwest we have started a UAS Sportsman class. I spent a little time talking to engine builders, both two and four stroke. What we have come up with has worked good so far. We wanted to have an open class just like the bigger one, but have a smaller engine size cap. We also wanted to include as many engines as possible. We are running open 100cc piston port at 340#, 100cc reed and rotary (before '98) at 370#. On the four strokes, 212cc at 340#, and 250cc at 370#. They have been really even on the track. All of the body rules and everything else is all UAS. We also have a minimum age of twelve for Sportsman racers.

Personally I think it is absolutely critical that we start running a West Coast championship race. There are many great and possible national championship quality racers that either can't afford or do not want to spend the money to go back east. We need to have the best of the best racing together. Let's do it!

Wayne
Oregon Region UAS

That's awesome that you had that many karts in a Wka format. Hard to believe but still great. Was this a can class or pipe. Was it a stand alone class and did they do a complete tear down of the engines to tech them. This is the only way to prevent cheating in that type of format for the stock Yamaha. This is the dilemma with the stockers you have to tear them down completely and check everything as I stated above. I ran WKA Yamaha in the 80s and the expense of a top quality stocker is immense. Can run a Sudan for the same money. Gary Woltjer lives here in Tulsa and I know him well and what he charges for engine rebuilds. Most of us here in Okla run stock appearing engines because they are cheaper and need very little tech. Are you callable of building a Yamaha or do you have yours built by a engine man and what does that cost? If you do build your own how do they compete with the top stocker engines like Woltjer, Classen, Comet and many others I have not mentioned The cost of the opens is much cheaper if you can do the work yourself and that's a fact. Plus on alky they will make much more hp.With a 109cc big bore piston and some port work and the right pipe and alky 26-30hp is very reachable. As stated before this is a supporting class just for fun. Do you think it is in the UAS best interest to tear every kt100 completely down and tech everything, I don't and if I were them I wouldn't. Just don't have the class at all, keep things as they are now. This was a suggestion to try and get a two day event and get more karts to the UAS race and guys more track time racing. And what makes you think that there will only be a small # of kts show up, where are you getting that info from. Seems to be just an opinion and that doesn't really represent any factual evidence. Guess we wont know until its given a try. I know there are many sections of the country that run stock appearing kt classes and know many on Bobs that do.

Pipe, Stand alone class, there was tech, complete teardown no. We run professionally built motors. A complete tear down every race is over kill. Bore, Stroke and Carb are easy things to check that will keep the motors in check in a WKA/IKF format. If the carb is legal it is hard to push much of the other cheating stuff through that carb with deeper tear downs on occasion. You can always do like was done at UAS nationals, ask the top 5 if they have a problem with any of the others... I don't understand why it is so hard to believe that there was such a good turn out of karts for a class that has been around for years.... You're are right, that is my opinion that the #'s for a stock appearing Yamaha class will be low, especially initially. But this an opinion of 25 plus years in racing with a good chunk of those years in 2 cycle speedway karting. Daytona allowed both stock appearing and WKA Yamaha with a weight break, what was that kart count? Some new classes go and others don't, unfortunately, new 2 stroke classes generally don't get that good of following, for some reason 2 strokes scare the people that run stocker 4 stroke stuff and are reluctant to move into it.... I stand by my statement, new classes will not grow karting, we already have too many classes with a handful of karts in them.

Back