why... so many classes

PD.. so you pay a pit pas $xxx then pay a class fee $$ times the number of classes you want to run?? so just for the numbers... pit pass at $15 and then say $10 per class??? is that how it works?

The three weight classes is for one thing only. That is to raise
money by allowing the same drivers to enter multiple classes.
Guys, especially Jr's, enter light, add some lead to make medium, add some more to make heavy.
Same guys run 3 races, and pay 3 entrants. Neat scam, eh??

Any good business man has to adjust to what works, that's smart it's an honest offer SCAM ? one big problem with karting any more is you got racers like the guys that will enter 3 classes, and ya got guy's that say they want more when the really just want a complain, then ya got guy's that really just wanta bench race when it comes right down to it.

PD.. so you pay a pit pas $xxx then pay a class fee $$ times the number of classes you want to run?? so just for the numbers... pit pass at $15 and then say $10 per class??? is that how it works?

99 % of the tracks or events that's how it works.
Example yesterday we raced Maxxis Maxx Daddy event here in Pa, $23 pit pass, Jr 3 Lite $70 entry, Jr 3 Heavy $70 entry, Jr 3 Heavy Pro $85 entry.

Do you purposely stagger the jr classes? so as they have time to prepare the karts with the various weight changes?

Of course, now you don't see that at local Fri or Sat night points races around here, that's at bigger single events or series, Reg shows don't think it would work every week, you could add a second special class say once a month.

Was checking the stats on the Maxx Daddy race Ken mentioned above on Race Monitor while at Lincoln Speedway for the sprints; entry in a couple of the adult champ kart classes was huge (40+), while Jr champ stock (the class my driver would have run had we not decided to take the weekend off) was a whopping 5 karts. Go figure. :)

Posting addresses and contact methods is one of the simplest ( and least costly on B4C) form of promotion for a track.
Clearly, not every ad reader knows just where the track is located. If an address was posted up front, that "stranger" interested in a track, could, with a few key strokes, find the location and directions to get to the track.

I get the impression that track event posters seem to operate with the notion "I know where the track is" and "if you don't, its none of your business."

Agree 100% with this. A lot of tracks write and structure their announcements for their existing racers or folks that might already know the track. The rest are left guessing. Human nature being what it is, racers (current and would-be's) dont bother looking it up because its not clear that the message might be relevant to them. Or even worse, on facebook I see some tracks basically spam a bunch of groups with their announcements in the hope someone might sign up. That's why I started a track directory, which is expanding to a event/race directory that you can search by radius, filter by dates, type of racing etc and literally see what is around you. Many racers don't know about racing that's at their own doorstep.

My thought is rather than having promoters having to compete to see who can shout the loudest to the most people through email, facebook or whatnot, we have promoters and drivers come to a place that connects the right racers with the right event. This could give promoters more time to work on the nuts and bolts of making said event great for everybody.

On the number of classes, my observation is that it comes down to pandering of some tracks/orgs/series. Either pandering to drivers that want to run what they have and/or want a trophy, or pandering to sponsors. The mantra that tracks should do whatever racers ask for customer service (for example) leads things astray. Reason being, most racers only care about what's good for them, personally. Their agenda. Not what's good for the track, the sport, or entry levels. Not all drivers are like this of course, but most are in my experience.

There's a saying "try to appeal to everyone, you'll appeal to no one". I think that's what's happened in kart racing as tracks try to accommodate as many folks as they can. Whittling down with the "right" set of (lets say "core") classes is where karting needs to head. But it's a long term strategy that takes a lot of upfront $ to give these things time and gather momentum. Very few in karting are in a position to do that right now, cash flow is what they need to pay the bills. They are all doing what they gotta do to keep things running.

Didn't read through all this thread and I hope this is not hyjacking the thread, but I did read above a word or two on promotions.

I subscribe to rainedout for most all local tracks. The name may not be 100% correct.

But in addition to getting rain out's on the phone app, some tracks push advertisements for races though it too. I don't like it being used for that, but it does get their word out.

... just a suggestion on a way I see some tracks promoting their races.

I tend not to race at a track that has many classes, takes too much time. Some of these 12 hour + events just isn't for me, but thats my self. I like to get home at a good time or at least on the road.

The three weight classes is for one thing only. That is to raise
money by allowing the same drivers to enter multiple classes.
Guys, especially Jr's, enter light, add some lead to make medium, add some more to make heavy.
Same guys run 3 races, and pay 3 entrants. Neat scam, eh??

If the entry fee is paid back to the winners, you are still only getting the gate fee. Adding more classes does not make the track any more money, they only keep the gate fee. Don't any one else see it that way, or are our tracks here the only ones that pay back the entry fee.

If the entry fee is paid back to the winners, you are still only getting the gate fee. Adding more classes does not make the track any more money, they only keep the gate fee. Don't any one else see it that way, or are our tracks here the only ones that pay back the entry fee.

No your pretty much correct, all racers should have to run a track one year before racing, then you would not see some of these post like the one you responded to, let me leave you in on a little secret most tracks it's there concessions that keeps them going, No I didn't say profitable I said going.

It still amazes me how many racers will spend $$$$ on motor, travel, prep, tires and everything else. Yet are willing to pay $ to the place where all the magic happens: The track
That's backasswards to me.

I work closely with a road race series (CES) where the entry fee is $85/day (two day event) and gate fee is $30 for the weekend. Sounds like a licence to make money right? Do the math and factor in that it costs about $18k to run the show after everything is paid and you'll figure out nobody is making a killing, especially after you account for the promoter and other volunteer's time.

In general, drivers need to be willing to pay more for their facility in fees.
In return, they can expect a higher level of service.
Otherwise, we're in a race to the bottom where we all lose out.

exactly RadicalFin, for myself.. for what ever gate fee I have to pay. I get to take my kart and race around their track, some times with a bunch of people, sometimes with only a few.. it's entertainment. you'd spend that money someplace else... if you were a fisherman, or a camper, or anything else... might as well spend it on the track so it will always be there for us to go play on..

Back