WKA Dirt Nationals and Vega Dirt Nationals 12/28-12/30 "UAS Scott Shinn Memorial" and "WKA 2 Cycle Unlimited Fred Jackson Memorial"

We got a room we always stay all week the wife stays at the beach . I don't have a dog in the flight on the 2 smokes but I think we all know who will be the man to beat and the last thing you need to do is give up weight to him. But it's Daytona and I go to have fun . The cost is crazy the track is not very good. But it's Daytona what else's needs to be said. I have been going for over 25 years. Never did better than 5 the took me 3 years to make my first race back in the day. One of my best trophies is a I made the main for the first time. I am looking forward to going for many years to come no matter what crazy weight or rules they make

We got a room we always stay all week the wife stays at the beach . I don't have a dog in the flight on the 2 smokes but I think we all know who will be the man to beat and the last thing you need to do is give up weight to him. But it's Daytona and I go to have fun . The cost is crazy the track is not very good. But it's Daytona what else's needs to be said. I have been going for over 25 years. Never did better than 5 the took me 3 years to make my first race back in the day. One of my best trophies is a I made the main for the first time. I am looking forward to going for many years to come no matter what crazy weight or rules they make
I go for the same reasons...its fun!!!

I think folks are forgetting the heyday of WKA Unlimited when these rules were set and Chuck Clark on his 100cc "stock" PCR set on 7 poles in the WKA Unlimited. Chuck would take his CKS Controlled stock PCR and CKS Mach 1 chassis and be fast. He won several too.
On another note: If Evan was running a 100c we would most likely scale at around 370/375 anyway simply because that is what we do to get our scale numbers correct. Left side and corner weights have much more to do with speed than overall weight on dirt ovals. Even though our BRC150 is weighted at 350 we always cross the scales at the end of the race around 370+ as noted by many standing and watching. Karts with any power plant don't work as well under 375 lbs as that is what the weight they are designed and tested at for the most part. The 375 LB Clone class is the predominant class and is 90% the faster class over the lighter 340 class. Just food for thought.....its not really a big deal.
Back in the early 90's Joey Lunati ran his Mc91 in the Piston Port class at 275 lbs. Naturally you cant get that light but he gave it every chance. Kart was bare bones and titanium fasteners everywhere. I seen his pit help regularly grab the kart by the seat and steering wheel and lift it off the kart stand. Asphalt racing of course. But weight does make a difference there.

I think folks are forgetting the heyday of WKA Unlimited when these rules were set and Chuck Clark on his 100cc "stock" PCR set on 7 poles in the WKA Unlimited. Chuck would take his CKS Controlled stock PCR and CKS Mach 1 chassis and be fast. He won several too.
On another note: If Evan was running a 100c we would most likely scale at around 370/375 anyway simply because that is what we do to get our scale numbers correct. Left side and corner weights have much more to do with speed than overall weight on dirt ovals. Even though our BRC150 is weighted at 350 we always cross the scales at the end of the race around 370+ as noted by many standing and watching. Karts with any power plant don't work as well under 375 lbs as that is what the weight they are designed and tested at for the most part. The 375 LB Clone class is the predominant class and is 90% the faster class over the lighter 340 class. Just food for thought.....its not really a big deal.
Back in the early 90's Joey Lunati ran his Mc91 in the Piston Port class at 275 lbs. Naturally you cant get that light but he gave it every chance. Kart was bare bones and titanium fasteners everywhere. I seen his pit help regularly grab the kart by the seat and steering wheel and lift it off the kart stand. Asphalt racing of course. But weight does make a difference there.
Chris is completely right here, as usual. When I ran stock flatheads I left the same weight for heavy (275) and Medium, and the kart was faster at 375 pounds because the setup was set for 375, and as Chris say especially nowadays most karts are designed to work better at that particular weight. Some older karts work better a 350 because that was the dominant class back then. Some extra weight matters less than correct setup numbers. For the same reason when karts go over 400-420 pound they don't work very well either. They are not designed for the extra weight we run for most UAS engines.

I will say yes a proper scaled and tires will be faster then a light wrong kart. I think the guys that want it heavier want to scale there kart but are already 25 to 50 over. I think they are saying the wka weight is the same as in the hay day and we have all gotten heavier. 360 was stock heavy now 375 light was 305. That being said at ashway where the guys are coming from. Mike Hillard is 420 in his kart and win the 2 smoke class all the time

I will say yes a proper scaled and tires will be faster then a light wrong kart. I think the guys that want it heavier want to scale there kart but are already 25 to 50 over. I think they are saying the wka weight is the same as in the hay day and we have all gotten heavier. 360 was stock heavy now 375 light was 305. That being said at ashway where the guys are coming from. Mike Hillard is 420 in his kart and win the 2 smoke class all the time
Yes, I know he is very good, but hasn't won the class recently this year when everyone finished. This year the fastest has usually been Mack Caylor on both the 100cc class and the RWYB classes. Don't ask me why I know, lol.

rainman you hurt my feelings. i have won the track championship and most rwub races the last 3 years and hold the the track record. but in a straight line mack might have the fastest kart on the planet. but as seay said you have to have the best tires and a balanced kart. his motor is to heavy and has way to much hp. but it is a thing of beauty and he made and designed everthing. in 100cc that is where his weight comes into play he has 50lbs on mike with no weight on mikes kart.

I just acquired a Mach1 if someone wants to mirror Chuck Clark's attempts. :) Have fun at Daytona -- I'll try to come watch.

rainman you hurt my feelings. i have won the track championship and most rwub races the last 3 years and hold the the track record. but in a straight line mack might have the fastest kart on the planet. but as seay said you have to have the best tires and a balanced kart. his motor is to heavy and has way to much hp. but it is a thing of beauty and he made and designed everthing. in 100cc that is where his weight comes into play he has 50lbs on mike with no weight on mikes kart.
I know, didn't mean any harm to your feelings, but this season Mack has qualified 1st on all the last races I have been to on both classes. He just didn't finish the races, but his karts has been the fastest in qualifying this season. In fact on one of the races I think I qualified 2nd in the 100cc class, and yes, he has some extra power on the 100cc on me too, but that extra power is not enough to beat a good set up either. You are all a great group to race with at Ashway, I don't even care who is faster, you are all great drivers and better people. I guarantee I'll be there again this coming season.

now I have to know what engine this gentleman Mack has???

Twin Snow mobile. I think it's 800 cc 2 stroke . I think 120 hp stock . He fabricate everything himself. Its first class. Just hard to handle. But when he gets it hooked up it fly's. I have a 450 and on the straight he can get me by 2 karts.

Twin Snow mobile. I think it's 800 cc 2 stroke . I think 120 hp stock . He fabricate everything himself. Its first class. Just hard to handle. But when he gets it hooked up it fly's. I have a 450 and on the straight he can get me by 2 karts.
wow that’s crazy I would love to see that thing run

I'm trying to put twin Yamaha’s on my kart I’m just try to figure out the mounting plate

I'm trying to put twin Yamaha’s on my kart I’m just try to figure out the mounting plate
Bob Lawson, Bob Berlin and Mike Nacosia could give you some insight on that. Also check with Birky clutch's....they have been involved in several twin KT100 projects. Sammy "War Dog" Rosa has a twin project going.

Last edited:
Glad to hear your planning on running with us again at Ashway. I’m preparing another 100cc kart for a new addition to our field and have had a few PMs sent to me in regards to the class. See ya soon!

YING, YING

In the 100cc class Mack runs an Italsistem SV21 if I am not wrong, front rotary valve, probably the craziest air cooled 100cc kart engine ever made. Hard to beat this engine even if my TSL98 PCRs are very fast too. Or might have to mount my MV31 Italsistem with the traditional side rotary valve.

Back