WKA Gold Cup Season Opener March 7-9 at Jacksonville

S U N N Y right now and about 68. First North Florida Kart Club local race this Saturday at 103rd street. Come on out and get some laps.

Want to take a quick minute to thank a few new sponsors to the Gold Cup Series!

Van-K Wheels Inc. and MGM Chassis, both located in the Charlotte area, have teamed up to co-sponsor the Pittsburgh International Race Complex Gold Cup national this August 15-17!! The event will be the Van-K Wheels / MGM Chassis Nationals.

Mikim Motorsports, a Margay dealer and your Jacksonville parking contact, Mike Griener and his son, Mike, have stepped up to sponsor the 2014 Gold Cup Pole Awards! This is the first year in a long time the Pole Awards have been sponsored in Gold Cup.

Brad's Heating & Cooling, owned by longtime Gold Cup and Jacksonville racer Brad Farmer, has stepped up to sponsor the Junior Heavy Mix class in 2014!

Many thanks to Van-K, MGM, Brad's Heating & Cooling and Mikim Motorsports for joining a growing list of RLV Gold Cup Series sponsors and supporters!

GOLD CUP SERIES SPONSORS
RLV Tuned Exhaust Products
Bridgestone

2014 GOLD CUP NATIONALS
Jacksonville, FL: Ionic Edge Chassis Nationals
Camden, OH: Michigan Kart Supply Nationals
Pittsburgh, PA: Van-K Wheels / MGM Chassis Nationals
Kershaw, SC: GT Machine Grand Nationals

2014 GOLD CUP CLASS SPONSORS
Razor Chassis Sportsman Pro Gas Animal Lite 1
Roberts Kart Shop Sportsman Pro Gas Animal Lite 2
Baker Racing Engines Sportsman Pro Gas Animal 1 & 2
Van-K Wheels Junior Pro Gas Animal 1 & 2
Thor Oil Junior Medium 1 & 2
Brad's Heating & Cooling Junior Heavy Mix 1 & 2
Performance North Animal Medium 1 & 2
Power Plus Lubricants Animal Heavy Mix 1 & 2
Coyote Motorsports Pro Gas Animal 1 & 2
Briggs & Stratton Racing LO206 Heavy 1
Kart City Performance LO206 Heavy 2
Mikim Motorsports Pole Awards

Pre-registration is now closed for Jacksonville. We're pleased to report that the pre-entry count is up 20% from last year! All Pro Gas classes - Sportsman, Junior and Senior - all have reached over double digits in pre-entry counts. With many more entering at the track, it looks like we'll have some very competitive fields next weekend at 103rd Street!

Here's a look at your Senior Pro Gas field as of today.

SENIOR PRO GAS ANIMAL
# DRIVER HOMETOWN
00 RYAN TAYLOR - WARNER ROBINS, GA
1 TYLER SANDMEYER - GAITHERSBURG, MD
2 CAYLA CHAPMAN - NEWBERRY, MI
04 COREY TOWLES - JACKSONVILLE BEACH, FL
8 DYLAN ZOBKIW - CHARLOTTE, NC
11 MATT SKAGGS - MURFREESBORO, TN
13 WILEY HOLCOMBE - DECATUR, GA
16 MATTHEW HORST - ALPHARETTA, GA
17 CARTER SCHLENKE - MILTON, GA
24 JIM LIPARI - ROCHESTER, NY
29 DOUGLAS SCHMIDT - TREASURE ISLAND, FL
30 SEAN MEIER - PONTE VERDE BEACH, FL
55 JASON BIRDSELL - ST JOSEPH, IL
77 DUSTIN DEMATTIA - MONTVILLE, OH
91 CHRIS NEWMAN - LEGRANGE, GA
92 SCOTT KLEMAN - FARMINGTON, MI

More classes...

JUNIOR PRO GAS ANIMAL 1 & 2
# DRIVER HOMETOWN
4 BENJAMIN WITHERS - N FORT MYERS, FL
11 DAVID KALB JR. - AURORA, OH
12 MATT TORTORELL
13 DAVID LAWRENCE - SENOIA, GA
14 CONNOR TEBBE - FAYETTEVILLE, GA
23 RAFAEL D LEON - GAINESVILLE, FL
24 JASON YARBROUGH - JACKSONVILLE, FL
39 JOSHUA STARK - SPENCERPORT, NY
40 DYLAN MURRY - CUMMING, GA
66 ZACHARY WELLS - SMITHSBURG, MD

SPORTSMAN PRO GAS ANIMAL LITE
# DRIVER HOMETOWN
00 TANNER CARTER - CONYERS, GA
6 ALEX VRABEL - CLEVELAND, OH
14 MATTHEW MILLER - PERRY HALL, MD
20 TREVOR VARGO - SPENCER PARK, NY
28 CODY HALL - GRIFFIN, GA
45 RILEY KELLEY - NEW MARKET, MD
51 MARK STEUBE - MIAMI, FL
77 JASON ALDER - COOKSVILLE, MD
95 NICK FAUCI - BROCKPORT, NY
99 CALE HALL - GRIFFIN, GA

SPORTSMAN PRO GAS ANIMAL HEAVY
# DRIVER HOMETOWN
2 NASH DUYN - NORTH PORT, FL
6 ALEX VRABEL - CLEVELAND, OH
14 MATTHEW MILLER - PERRY HALL, MD
20 TREVOR VARGO - SPENCER PARK, NY
28 CODY HALL - GRIFFIN, GA
45 RILEY KELLEY - NEW MARKET, MD
51 MARK STEUBE - MIAMI, FL
53 BRIAN VAN CLEVE JR. - YORKVILLE, IL
77 JASON ALDER - COOKSVILLE, MD
95 NICK FAUCI - BROCKPORT, NY

Here's the latest news on this weekend's event... More product awards for Sportsman, Junior and Senior racers!

MORE AWARDS POSTED FOR JACKSONVILLE GOLD CUP

CONCORD, N.C. – This weekend’s Ionic Edge Chassis RLV Gold Cup Nationals at the 103rd Street Sports Complex in Jacksonville, Fla., not only boasts over $3,000 in cash prizes to senior classes, but some terrific product awards, as well.

Sportsman Pro Gas “Up and Comer” Award
Loyal Gold Cup sponsor Baker Racing Engines has posted a new DeWalt 20-volt 3/8-impact gun to an award winner in the Sportsman Pro Gas Animal divisions. The DeWalt impact will be awarded to the Sportsman Pro Gas “Up and Comer,” which is defined as the best finish in any of the four Sportsman Pro Gas points classes (both Lite and Heavy each day) who did not win a Sportsman Pro Gas main event in 2013.

The Up and Comer Award will go to the best finisher in any of the four Sportsman Pro Gas points classes who has never won a Sportsman Pro Gas Gold Cup main event. If two up and comers both win or both finish second, which would cause a tie, the DeWalt impact award will go to the racer who accomplished the finish first.

Example: Racer A, who has never won a Gold Cup Sportsman Pro Gas feature, wins Saturday’s Sportsman Pro Gas Lite main. Racer B, who also has never won a Gold Cup Sportsman Pro Gas feature, wins Sunday’s Sportsman Pro Gas Heavy main. The Up and Comer award will go to Racer A, since he accomplished his first-place finish before Racer B did.

Bondurant Driving School $500 Gift Certificate
Any Junior and Sportsman Gold Cup racers can be eligible for a $500 gift certificate to a Bondurant Driving School in Phoenix, Arizona, courtesy of two-time WKA Triple Crown champion Gary Lawson.

The $500 certificate is good toward a half- or full-day karting driving school at a three-quarter-mile purpose-built kart track in Chandler, Arizona. The karts are Rotax Mini Max or Rotax Junior Max, depending on the driver’s age. A half-day course is $749 while the full-day course is $1,099. The $500 certificate goes toward the price of either course.

Since some teams / families will not be interested, a sign-up form for a random draw for Sportsman and Junior drivers will be available at registration all day Friday and Saturday morning. Any driver who signs up for the Bondurant award will become eligible for the $500 driving school gift card. If a driver wins an Ionic Edge Chassis Nationals main event, he or she will earn another ticket to increase chances of winning via the random draw.

Example: Driver A signs up and wins three features at Jacksonville. Driver B signs up and does not win a feature. Driver A has three tickets with their name in the random-draw hat, while Driver B will only have one ticket.

The random draw for the $500 Bondurant gift card will take place at Sunday’s podium presentation. The driver must be at least 8 years old. The gift card expires Sept. 1 and the driving school session must be booked two to three months in advance.

To learn more about Bondurant Driving School, visit Bondurant.com.

Power Plus Lubricants Animal Heavy bonus
New Gold Cup Series class sponsor Power Plus Lubricants, of Lancaster, Calif., has posted 10 bottles of their 4-cycle oil to the Animal Heavy Mix division.

The top-five finishers in both Saturday’s Animal Heavy Mix 1 and Sunday’s Animal Heavy Mix 2 each will earn a bottle of Power Plus’ 4-Cycle Racing Oil. One bottle is good for two oil changes. The product will be on site this weekend and awarded at podium presentations.

These new special awards only add to an impressive list of cash and product prizes up for grabs this weekend at the Ionic Edge Chassis Nationals in Jacksonville.

Over $3,000 is up for grabs this weekend in senior racing, including four $500-To-Win main events and a $300-To-Win LO206 Heavy main.

A new Samsung Galaxy tablet will be awarded to the Lap Leader award winners in Sportsman and Junior Pro Gas, courtesy of Steve Baker of Baker Racing Engines and Gary Lawson. Whichever Sportsman and Junior Pro Gas driver who leads the most laps on the weekend will win the new Samsung tablet.

Baker Racing Engines has posted a new BRE Pro Gas Animal engine to a driver who can qualify on the pole for Friday’s Sportsman Pro Gas Shootout and go on to win the 10-lap race. To be eligible the driver must be running a BRE engine.

Event sponsor Ionic Edge Chassis has posted a new Ionic Edge frame with a new BRE Pro Gas Animal to any driver who can win Saturday or Sunday’s Senior Pro Gas main riding an Ionic Edge Chassis.

And in addition to the $500 purse for Sunday’s LO206 Heavy main, Kart City Performance has posted a new Coyote Wide Track frame with a race-ready Kart City LO206 engine to the 2014 LO206 Heavy Gold Cup national champion.

103rd Street Sports Complex gates open Thursday morning for parking. Pre-tech and registration will be open Thursday afternoon. Friday will feature a full day of practice before the evening’s Shootout and Pro races. Saturday and Sunday each feature 11 national classes, comprising one round of practice, qualifying, heats and main events.

###

Anyone know the gas station and pump to use? Forgot to find that out when we registered today.

I heard a rumor that this race pulled 302 entries! I wish I could have made it. I think a big high five needs to go out to all of you people who came out to race. Its no small task to travel for this race and brave the elements for the tow down there. Its also great to see some of the new names that I don't recognize yet and cannot wait to meet this summer. There can be all kinds of tire rules and engine rules, but ultimately its you guys and gals that make the series so much fun. Bravo!

Actually I believe it was like 314 entries... Those entry numbers included money race entries on Friday which non point entires. Well over 200 for the Point class entries...

And the gas animal was an awesome race.. down at 38.1 seconds a lap by the leaders... a dip or two in the high 37's by a couple of drivers during the weekend...

Top 10 or so all very close... This was at the 360 lb weight. I dont think the animal medium was as fast.. something like 38.4 possibly..

Dont be fooled into thinking the pro gas is faster than the alky just because some drivers went faster times. Most drivers focused on the gas class. Some that ran both ran their better kart in the gas class because they had a deeper field with more competition. I happened to glance at the mixed class times from sunday and noticed fast time was set by Paul headley on an alky engine. Just looking at results does not tell the whole story.

Even better evidence is to look at the times from last year vs this year. Animal medium went 37.5 last year and 38.0 this year. Pro gas went 38.7 last year and 38.0 this year with 10# less. Looks like competition level increased in one and decreased in the other more than anything.

Maybe WKA reported it incorrectly:
Here are a few shots from today's Animal Heavy Mix main event at 103rd Street. Pole sitter Gary Lawson scored the $500 victory over Jason Birdsell and Corey Towles. Top three were riding Pro Gas powered karts.
To me that implies that the Animal Heavy (mixed) was won with a ProGas Animal. Or did no one run the "mixed" class? I haven't seen the results or times yet, just saw the report by WKA on Facebook.

We had a great time and really appreciate all the efforts to get the entry numbers back. The Pro Gas formula seems to be a hit. My only disappointment was the way the junior classes were structured, with only one true pro gas class each day. Would have loved to have light/heavy like the sportsman kids. Not a fan of the mixed class because I know for a fact we are .4-.5 faster with our alky setup at 330# in jax. I don't think any alky motors were entered in the mix class, but one good one would have stunk up the show....

A special thank you to Steve Baker of Baker Racing Engines for this little carrot:
"The awards package has been spiced up for the Friday Sportsman and Junior Pro Gas Shootout. Baker Racing Engines of Bellevue, Ohio, has stepped up to post a race-ready Baker Pro Gas Animal engine to a Sportsman and/or Junior driver who can qualify on the pole and win the 10-lapper. To be eligible for the engine bonus, the winner must be running a Baker engine"

I had forgotten all about it until he mentioned it to me in the porta-potty line :) Might be the closest we've ever came to breaking even on a race weekend!

I have to add that I LOVE the format for the shootout race.. 3 laps to qualify, roll right back up to the grid to set the race order.. and then get it on! Really fun from the tuner side finding that balance of qualifying and race setup!

Yes I won mixed on a pro gas. But I would have been faster on an alky engine with the 15# extra. The extra bottom end easily makes up for the weight.

I dont however share the same opinion as Mr Tebbe on the jr. Mixed. They are very close on hp from what I found working with my jr driver. I expected our alky engine to be better but laptimes did not show it.

Anyways, like many have mentioned, what a turnout! Sr classes in the 30's was great but even more impressive was 15 in the sportsman classes. That shows great promise for the future. Now lets keep the ball rolling to the next race! I hope the people from Florida and georgia come for some of the races up north since it was cut back to only 2. Kershaw I'm sure will be great again as well. Quite a few new names that I heard this weekend.

Thanks to WKA, all the sponsors and Gold Cup supporters and most important the all the racers and families that are supporting the Gold Cup series. It’s been a long time since I could walk around in the pits and see so many new faces. Congratulations to all the 2013 National Champions and class winners at the 2014 first race at Jacksonville Florida. As Gary stated, now let’s keep the ball rolling to the next race! The Gold Cup series has the momentum and potential to be the biggest kart racing series in the country.

Steve

Back