A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

Will this setup work for burris treads? Currently my sons kart has 37" RR and 36 1/4" LR.

Short answer is Yes...but it takes a LOT of work to get them right - but then at least you have normal ride heights on the car instead of having to run the same tires as the 500cc winged outlaw karts that these tires were designed for.

The three rings on the edge of the tire are an indicator .
The left is good , the right almost gone .
Ok here's 2 more the edges here appear good .
Also note the blue tinge of color indicating the use of goat pee .
This is in conjunction with post 178 and 180

Attachments

• 20190606_135326.jpg
    20190606_135326.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 20190606_135443.jpg
    20190606_135443.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 207
This is not a good indicator of an "edge". Looks like on both tires the edge is missing. Just 1 tire is worn out more than the other.
The edge of the tire, or shoulder, you can visible see the tire is fairly flat when new and has a fairly sharp angle to the shoulder. As tire wears this angle becomes more flat, where the edge is becoming worn out.
Once you visually pick up on this, its very easy to tell.
Jr1 and at times Jr2 dont need all that shoulder and can run a tire where the shoulder is missing for greater roll speed. They arent as heavy, have way less power, and can get away with less of a tire.
Do the tires in post 182 have the edge ?
The left frt seems too .
Are you saying the edge is gone even before the little dots are gone ?

Im saying the edge is gone when its wore out, LF i do not care. Post 182 i cant tell, bad angle for the pic for me to see.
The pic before as i said "looks" like the edge is missing on both tires and that the pic was not a good indicator of an edge. I said not a good indicator because it was hard in a pic to tell just how much was there.
Take a new tire and 1 with an edge wore out.....big visible difference, very good indicator.

Lightly sanded new tire . Just up from the dots is a half inch that looks slightly different then the flat off the tire . That small section may be the edge .

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 184
Depends on how much grip it gains Sometimes If Burris tires it can go to a harder compound, Normally just less prep, higher air pressure as it gains & open up the split, another sign of track gaining grip is your RPM 's increase with same gear, a chassis adjustment is not normally needed provided you hit tires right, now If going from a low bite night race to a high bite day race then everything applies including chassis adjustment.
I understand using less prep and more air pressure as the night goes on and a track gains grip but what does opening up the split in air pressure do ? Say going from no split or one pound to two or maybe even a three pound split.

I understand using less prep and more air pressure as the night goes on and a track gains grip but what does opening up the split in air pressure do ? Say going from no split or one pound to two or maybe even a three pound split.
If the track gains good grip and you stay on straight up air kart may be to snug, the split helps to keep it free It's not common to go more than a 1 lb split with a flat kart, more split is used with champ karts.

If the track gains good grip and you stay on straight up air kart may be to snug, the split helps to keep it free It's not common to go more than a 1 lb split with a flat kart, more split is used with champ karts.
when going to split do you mean adding air to the RS tires or taking one pound out of the left ? Also how does a split free a kart up ? Does it delay the weight transfer a little bit ?

when going to split do you mean adding air to the RS tires or taking one pound out of the left ? Also how does a split free a kart up ? Does it delay the weight transfer a little bit ?
Remember as track gains grip you want to run as much air as you can, SO you would add air to rights, and possibly both left and rights, I'm NO engineer to explain it 100% in detail, so dumb guy's explanation would be the higher air keeps the tire from being in the track to much, would stiffen the side wall ( spring rate ) which would resist transfer, Don't know that air pressure change affects timing as much as some other adjustments like cambers and casters would, but as stated above it would resist transfer more.

Prep tires first or size tires first?
I would want them sized close before Internal rolling & if wiping during the week , plus of course you need proper stagger for the race so again size before PRW to race, nothing worse than fighting stagger to race. With that being said you will always be tweeking size between prepping them.

I like to size them (within reason) while I'm doing my internal roll.
The internal prep will change the size of the tire in and of itself.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I have never prepped internal yet, but it seems like they grow better when prep is in them. Its all about these tires. I am sick of it really. But its what has to be with dirt karts. lol. I need to get some money saved and give you guys a call. That is my plan.

What is the ideal target rpm range for an animal medium/heavy class?
Each build varies some only the dyno confirms ideal, top builders are turning 7400 + If I did not have that info or access to a dyno I'd try 7200 and see what it does, that's a newer build I'm NO motor guy I would imagine that would vary depending on which generation, hopefully a motor builder will chime in.

Thats about what we were running. We haven’t really raced since 2008 and had it rebuilt then, only raced once in 2011, trying to think back 11 years I thought the target was 68-7000. Our last race by the feature we our highest was 7225. Was pulling on the field and Felt like there was even more available but wasn’t sure if We were pushing our luck on it.

If it hasn't been rebuilt since 2008, I might be inclined to pull the sidecover and take a peek at the part number on the side of the rod. If it's a lightweight ARC rod, then you might be living on borrowed time. We all used those rods back then until they started "exposing" themselves to the outside world in a not so kind way (ie breaking.) We prefer to use the beefy ARC rod now (or the Briggs WF rod.)

Cams in the animal engines haven't changed much since then. 7200 was always our target for oval track applications. A lot depends on how much rpm you drop in the corners though too. I'm not afraid to twist them tighter, but if you're on a momentum track, you don't need to turn them so hard.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back