A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

Doesn't raising cross make the kart push more?
With everything else right and only thing off a little would be cross causing a slight push and that's the only adjustment needed, yes your correct adding cross would make it worse a lot more times than not, however there are causes where doing just the opposite of normal works.

Last edited:
Bought a new set of ss11’s. What’s the proper way to get them ready for Saturday? To clean the glaze off? Then run them to break them in or should I scuff them up? Used to use an electric grinder that would scuff them up nice each week before starting to prep. Fresh back into racing and new tires just don’t want to start them off wrong before they even hit the track.

Bought a new set of ss11’s. What’s the proper way to get them ready for Saturday? To clean the glaze off? Then run them to break them in or should I scuff them up? Used to use an electric grinder that would scuff them up nice each week before starting to prep. Fresh back into racing and new tires just don’t want to start them off wrong before they even hit the track.
Get a tire guy to cut them and finish but if that's out of the question at least sand the glaze off ,BUT NOT with a small 4" disc grinder use a 6" or 7" sander polisher lower speed or belt sander if you don't have a disc, keep tire wet while sanding ( DO NOT OVER HEAT TIRE ) mix some alcohol in with Simple Green or Windex, paper nothing real course 150 grit or finer, use a regular re-finish machine to turn them that turns slower don't spin them to fast either.

Need help with air filters. Noticing dust inside carb after racing. Using a normal kart filter oiled with klots spray filter oil and a foamie also oiled. Possibly not using enough oil or am I using the wrong product?

Need help with air filters. Noticing dust inside carb after racing. Using a normal kart filter oiled with klots spray filter oil and a foamie also oiled. Possibly not using enough oil or am I using the wrong product?
Wow you must be racing in real dusty conditions, doesn't sound like you could spray more,

put Vaseline on the filter adapter then put the filter on and tighten

I clean my tires each week with 220 flap disk, then wet sand by hand 220, this tire wasn't a good baseline for us because son didnt drive a good line that night, just wanted to get some input on look of tire, he had to turn wheel hard coming out of two because he entered 1 way to soon and low
This usually comes from sliding, with Maxxis. Could be too soft or too hard. What id be more concerned with are the edges of the tire and how do they look. If edges are wore out, this is why it could be sliding also.
Just not enough info to give a positive answer as to why the tires are doing this.

The bigger problem with the winged stuff is the lack of stagger tires in treads.
For instance, the Hoosier 9.00, or 9.50 (D50 or D30A) right rear that the bigger HP karts run, rolls out at 37 1/2". That makes for way too much stagger (and footprint) for a 206 or clone engine.
What we've done is use the left rear (6.50") tire on the right sides, and the 5.50" on the lefts.
This gets us back to the normal "flat kart look" and sizes (ie 34" right side tires) with treads. Now, you have to mount them on real wide wheels and they're a bugger to mount, but the effort is worth it in my opinion. This also get away from the "sprint car" look of running narrow front tires and big rears. BUT, it works. Remember, your winged kart is a flat kart under all that.
Not only is there speed in going to the smaller tires, but there is speed at cutting the tires (treaded) to half rubber.
When the tracks instituted a treaded tire rule, it did not make their racing any cheaper by eliminating cutting, quite the opposite. Tires are still being cut and prepped (yes, even treads.)

Will this setup work for burris treads? Currently my sons kart has 37" RR and 36 1/4" LR.

I have had issues here as well .
The tip XXX40 gave , could solve that problem .
( Vaseline on the filter cup before installing the filter )

we ran the 9:00'son the right and the 5:50's on the left . The 6:50's would stagger out better.
that big right rear don't shrink.

I have the stagger I want now, but the extra weight is probably slowing us down. I think I have a 9.50 RR and 6.50 LR, 8.50 RF and 5.50 LF. Kart turns fine. handling looks very good overall. But if we are missing some momentum id like to try to find it.

This usually comes from sliding, with Maxxis. Could be too soft or too hard. What id be more concerned with are the edges of the tire and how do they look. If edges are wore out, this is why it could be sliding also.
Just not enough info to give a positive answer as to why the tires are doing this.
Was woundering if anyone could post some pictures of a good edge versus a worn edge on a tire? One reason I ask is because we are running a jr class and have heard several different things about edges for jr's
thanks in advance

Was woundering if anyone could post some pictures of a good edge versus a worn edge on a tire? One reason I ask is because we are running a jr class and have heard several different things about edges for jr's
thanks in advance
Just look at a new tire and compare, If you don't have any new ones someone at the track will let you look, once the edge is to far gone it does not matter which class your running your loosing speed.

Not to sound stupid! I get compare but do I need to compare the lines that go up from side of tire to surface of tire or is it more to a worn edge then the lines being wore down? Sorry to sound silly but just trying to figure it all out!
thanks

Not to sound stupid! I get compare but do I need to compare the lines that go up from side of tire to surface of tire or is it more to a worn edge then the lines being wore down? Sorry to sound silly but just trying to figure it all out!
thanks
Not silly, more warn edge, which goes along with the lines.

The three rings on the edge of the tire are an indicator .
The left is good , the right almost gone .

Attachments

• 15597833093838470431549819454429.jpg
    15597833093838470431549819454429.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 371
The three rings on the edge of the tire are an indicator .
The left is good , the right almost gone .
This is not a good indicator of an "edge". Looks like on both tires the edge is missing. Just 1 tire is worn out more than the other.
The edge of the tire, or shoulder, you can visible see the tire is fairly flat when new and has a fairly sharp angle to the shoulder. As tire wears this angle becomes more flat, where the edge is becoming worn out.
Once you visually pick up on this, its very easy to tell.
Jr1 and at times Jr2 dont need all that shoulder and can run a tire where the shoulder is missing for greater roll speed. They arent as heavy, have way less power, and can get away with less of a tire.

Last edited:
Back