Electric equivalency

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38940998/koenigsegg-quark-electric-motor/

When I can get my hands on one of these, I'll put one on a Kart. It all comes down to the batteries. The motors are out there, but getting enough battery on the kart that isn't in a bad spot. The battery tech has come leaps and bounds. It's right on the verge of being a viable option. But, it'll be more expensive than the highest race ready UAS package you can price, and still have to be built to work.

(Edit) Also, the wiring and computer system to control some of this stuff like the engine I listed will probably be fairly large. So there is that to consider as well. Lots of wiring and fiddly bits.

Joe @ Judges Performance built one a few years ago and it seems to me they made a video of its first test run. It got put on the back burner but it was a well thought out piece,

Stark Varg is the model to follow. Will destroy petrol machines. I love castor fumes, but this is coming whether we like it or not.

MY first attempt would be to buy an Alta Redshift and scavenge the running gear from it... Or once they start wrecking the new Harley livewires (which bought Alta's tech) to get that gear.

I don't remember many details of the discussion but back in the late 2000's bergfelts and I had several discussions on this topic so it is already rattling around in his brain somewhere.

The discussion came about because before I got out of racing I was looking into using a battery leaf blower "super charger" to copy his old leaf blower set up and it morphed into "well what if....." Type of conversation.

Unfortunately Tesla has shown that when it does hit the UAS everyone else will be racing for second place. Hell the prior kings of speed, dodge, are creating an electric to try to get their speed title back off of Elon

As far as I'm concerned if it comes to the point that you can't run combustion engines I'll be
done. As far as me and weight goes it doesn't matter to me never made weight in my life .later Chuck.
these comments always make me laugh. wonder if this same thing was said when they started racing cars on a horse tracks (why we race ovals) "That thang will never take the place of my horse"

Auto racing developed as an economical alternative to horse racing.
Same thing will happen when those who can't afford fuel engine racing turn to electric motor racing.
High or Low cost horse, fuel engine or electric motor racing the rung of the ladder you stand on will still be determined by your pocket book.
To each their own and their interest, skill and ability will still determine how much bull you can sling about how fast you are.

In each case it's about your fast and your wins.

Fast in a foot "race" is the:
answer: dash winner
Fast in a boat "race" is the:
answer:
Fast in an air "race" is the:
answer:
Fast in a bobsled "race is the:
answer:
Fast in a soapbox "race" is the:
answer: winner
Fast in a bicycle "race" is the:
answer:
Fast in a kart "race" is the:
answer: lowest lap time ever
Fast in a car "race" is the:
answer: lowest lap time ever
Fast is a drag "race' is the:
answer: lowest point to point ever

Endurance racing is not fast it's only interesting.
It's just another feel good "fun" category run for feeding a promoters pocket books on the bated hook of bragging rights.

In any category except a foot race if your not racing the fastest stuff available to race ... why race?
Racing is not about fun or what you get from it, it's about who is the fastest. period
Unless your racing the "fast stuff" your checkered flag is no different then a feel good >>participation trophy<<.

If electric karts become the fastest karts then they become the top rung of the kart racing ladder.

I think the future of electric kart and car racing will be about sliding in different long narrow battery units for different length races.
The announcer commentary may be he or her was the fastest in qualifying or their heat race but we will see how well they do when heavier feature batteries are installed.

I'm looking forward to it and hope I'm around to see it. ... :)

thanks for reading

paul

Last edited:
The primary advantages of electric are like the Wankel on steroids -- massive torque, infinitely controllable, easy traction control. The downside will be motor cost / development. Initially it will seem equitable, but once it's taken seriously, parallel development of the controllers AND motors will obsolete everything. I bring the discussion up now to foster discussion about a framework. Electrics will be orders of magnitude quieter, which eliminates some of the thrill for me, but also makes racing far more palatable to neighborhoods... There are pros and cons to everything.

When people start loosing to the electric Kart you will see a shift. this is where everything is headed like it or not. i find it funny when people complain or want to stop progress. you cant deny the fact that a typical Tesla family car will destroy former super cars. 0-60 in under 3 second is faster than a lot of sport motorcycles. people are already complaining about the current fuel prices (still cheaper than bottled water) have never purchased gas in Europe. we will never run out of oil. when it costs $50 -60 a gallon people will beg for an alternative.

Auto racing developed as an economical alternative to horse racing.
Same thing will happen when those who can't afford fuel engine racing turn to electric motor racing.
High or Low cost horse, fuel engine or electric motor racing the rung of the ladder you stand on will still be determined by your pocket book.
To each their own and their interest, skill and ability will still determine how much bull you can sling about how fast you are.

paul
auto racing started when the second car was completed. :ROFLMAO:

The simple solution is to create a different category, as the other "full size" motorsports have done. I could see an exhibition race happening....until it becomes too embarrassing for one side or the other.

I am with Chuck, the moment we can't run gas engines I'll be done with any kind of racing. By the way, this is not "coming like it or not" as some of you say. Batteries produced in the large amount required for the whole world running them need a huge amount of certain minerals that this planet is unable to supply, even harder to find than oil, and most are in protected/restricted areas. It seems Ok when you just have a small amount of cars running on electrical power, wait for an increase in the numbers and other than the issues with batteries you will have a power supply problem. Where do you thing you are gonna find a way to generate enough power without using any kind of "non clean" fuel at the power stations? The way to go is efficiency, not all this dream electrical cars for the new " green rich people".

I'm not down on electric karts it's just that I'm too old to start over and too much stock to replace. Retired and somewhat tired power linemen of 35 years later Chuck.

Back