Engine Prices WOW !!!!!

The only positive thing I can see about spending more for a " premium" engine , is that it allows more time to concentrate on other things like chassis, tires and preps. As for "Crate " engines, even the stock car folks have problems with irregularities in them. Also anyone that thinks Kart racing is ever going to get much bigger is only fooling themselves, because back in the early days it was so big that they wouldn't ever believe it, only 4-5 classes and 30-40 karts in each one of them all over the country.

thanks jody...I see your point. just wondered because of some one here saying that they hand picked parts.....to me, that's buying parts by the bucket load and then using only one...but I can see what your saying and understanding better! thank ya!!

When I began Kart racing in 1980, I could buy brandy new Yamaha KT-100 engines in the box for $350. -$360., in today's T.S. catalog they are $692. + blue printing. Almost double. A B & S flathead engine from Northern Hyd. cost $129.

Using an inflation calculator that $350 in 1980 adjusted for inflation is $989 today.

Just saying.

It's the old axiom - Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?

I've got $650 in a pro-built motor.
We've put 20 or so race days on it so far.
I plan on 10 or so more and see no reason for that not to happen.
$650 divided by 30 = $21 per race.
It costs at least $30 in entrance fees per race.
Bottom line - The motor was a good deal.

From what I've seen, people apply time and money to their sport or hobby according to how much time and money they can part with and how serious they are about it. If you can pick up a tenth of a second for $1,000 and you really want that tenth, then you'll spend the $1,000. It's all about beating the other guy (or girl). If you want it bad enough, you'll spend the time and money to do it. If you think about it, you'll see that in other hobbies and sports, too. Some people want to be the best in whatever it is they enjoy doing. I can't fault them. You can't fault the engine builders, they can't give away their time.

From what I've seen, people apply time and money to their sport or hobby according to how much time and money they can part with and how serious they are about it. If you can pick up a tenth of a second for $1,000 and you really want that tenth, then you'll spend the $1,000. It's all about beating the other guy (or girl). If you want it bad enough, you'll spend the time and money to do it. If you think about it, you'll see that in other hobbies and sports, too. Some people want to be the best in whatever it is they enjoy doing. I can't fault them. You can't fault the engine builders, they can't give away their time.

When we were heavy into go-karts we used a local builder and I was completely satisfied. He had to raise his prices on everything, machine work, labor, parts you name it. I never had a problem with it.

There's something that's missing. for $900-$1k what kind of quality are you getting? You better be getting damn good quality for that much in one of these clone motors. I know I'd have no problem spending that much if I knew the product I was getting was of great quality.

You get what you pay for.

The pass.

In 1986 I called a big name Kart shop to ask about motors, I happen to get the right guy on the phone. At that time most stock flat heads cost about $350.00. This guy drove for this shop he told me he would build me all the $350.00 motors I wanted but the only way I would get the best was to buy the winning motor off the kart at a big race. He said he sold his motors off the Kart for $I,000.00 and some he would not sell at all. He also told me who to talk to in my area(great motor builder) . This shop is still in bus. today and I think this guy still works there.

In 1986 I called a big name Kart shop to ask about motors, I happen to get the right guy on the phone. At that time most stock flat heads cost about $350.00. This guy drove for this shop he told me he would build me all the $350.00 motors I wanted but the only way I would get the best was to buy the winning motor off the kart at a big race. He said he sold his motors off the Kart for $I,000.00 and some he would not sell at all. He also told me who to talk to in my area(great motor builder) . This shop is still in bus. today and I think this guy still works there.

And how many people have argued this is not the case, many times? Alot from what iv seen and heard, just saying...

I sold 8 engines off my kart or a customers kart at the track last year alone for the same price as we advertise sometimes with the clutch, usually after we won the main. (cant argue its not a good one if I just won with it). The way I see it is, I built this one and can build another just like it. This past October a guy bought my kart race ready with all my tires, wheels and clutches... I am in the business of producing products for profit. I have very few racing items that I will not sell, mainly for nostalgia reasons.

I sold 8 engines off my kart at the track last year alone for the same price as we advertise sometimes with the clutch, usually after we won the main. (cant argue its not a good one if I just won with it). The way I see it is, I built this one and can build another just like it. This past October a guy bought my kart race ready with all my tires, wheels and clutches... I am in the business of producing products for profit. I have very few racing items that I will not sell, mainly for nostalgia reasons.
Now I like that !!!!!

WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO THIS ECONOMY ENGINE CLASS ?????
Exactly!! The definitive Part of that Sentence is; “what have we done” with the emphasis on “we”.
I think, if that guy charging $900 started losing business, his prices would come down. If people are willing to pay that price, why not?
And who’s to say who is right or wrong, the buyer or the seller.
“You get what you pay for” as a consideration for your buying choice, is not foolproof.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

Exactly!! The definitive Part of that Sentence is; “what have we done” with the emphasis on “we”.
I think, if that guy charging $900 started losing business, his prices would come down. If people are willing to pay that price, why not?
And who’s to say who is right or wrong, the buyer or the seller.
“You get what you pay for” as a consideration for your buying choice, is not foolproof.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

see Al gets it ! we as racers cant blame the engine builders . if you dont want to build your oun engine and they have the "latest & greatest " thing out there yep you guessed it we the racers are buying it . they sqweez out extra hourse power and we sqweez out the extra dollars :)

Back to Mike Lavites "Original Post".........in that same catalog, what is that builder charging for a WKA legal alcohol Stock class Briggs Animal, and how much fro a WKA legal, Stock class flathead Briggs???

Mike

briggs flatheads $1650.00 ...............all leagal classes
OHV animal$1450.00 ...............all legalclasses

i amin NO WAY slamming or bashing the engine builders . good racers need good builders and their parts

All prices listed below come complete with exhaust system, chain guard, air filter and Dyno tested and tuned is included also.

WKA #704 Animal Alky – $1399.00 ( RPM 7500 – 8300 )

WKA #705 Animal Pro Gas - $949.00 ( RPM 7500 – 8000 )

WKA #708 Animal LO206 - $649.00 ( RPM 6100 Rev Limiter )

WKA / AKRA BS Clone - $799.00 ( RPM 6200 – 6600 )

Steve
www.Bakerracingengines.com

The clone class is exactly how the racers want it to be. If they did not want it this way it would not be this way.
I disagree on that statement. I'm pretty sure there was more racers screaming "don't touch" the clones when they came out. It's all about that dollar..

Back