KT100 motor mount

Dedecom

I am having a problem lining up the drive sprockets on my kart. I'm currently using an "old school" GEM engine mount and where it positions the engine necessitates moving the drive sprocket further inboard than is possible due to the hub coming into contact with the collar on the axle bearing. Would anyone have a mount to sell that would allow for the engine to be moved a little bit more to the outboard side. The engine is a KT100 and the rail spacing is American.
Please feel free to email me at dsradz@aol.com, or call at 810 404 9117.

Thank you in advance.
Dave

Can you find a narrower collar, or machine the current collar down in width, or counter-bore the hub to clear the collar?

PM

Can you find a narrower collar, or machine the current collar down in width, or counter-bore the hub to clear the collar?

PM
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have already done that. A friend of mine has a machine shop and I had him counter bore the hub. I only need a little more movement which with a little more counter boring could be achieved. However, in the process of all of this I realized that the hub has probably 0.100 of run out. I have a new billet hub ordered and once it is installed, I can reassess the situation, and proceed from there.

Again, Thanks

Can you post a picture?
Yes, I will post some pictures of the situation. As I mentioned in a previous to a post, I do have a new, higher quality sprocket hub ordered. The hub you'll see in the picture runs out some 0.100 or so. At one point in its rotation, my laser alignment light hits on or about where it should on the driver sprocket. At other points in the rotation, it does not. I need to get the new hub installed and then see where everything is. Early on in this process I didn't realize this sprocket "ran out" like it does. The other clutch I had on this engine is a L&T wet clutch. I didn't seem to have the problem I am having now. As it turned out, with that clutch on, and the sprocket pushed in as far as it will go, the laser hit where it should of. I never checked for run out. I recently installed a Tomar clutch just so I could run the kart around with out running the risk of damaging the wet clutch by over slipping it. I hope to be able to run at a Vintage Karting event where I will need the wet clutch.

Thank you for your interest and response.

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_164557.jpg
    IMG_20230715_164557.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230715_164542.jpg
    IMG_20230715_164542.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230715_164324_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20230715_164324_burst_01.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 30
Are you using a flat mount or angled? Is it a 2 piece mount? If it's a 2 piece mount, could you turn the engine mounting plate around to offset the engine the other way?

Are you using a flat mount or angled? Is it a 2 piece mount? If it's a 2 piece mount, could you turn the engine mounting plate around to offset the engine the other way?
Unfortunately, the mount is an old school GEM cast aluminum single piece. I think I may have found a person who has an assortment of mounts with with various offsets. After I recieve the new hub I have ordered and get it installed, I will better know what, if anything else, needs to be done.

Thank you for your advice. Any, and all advice from you good folks is valued and appreaciated.

Don't know if this was covered but can you put the bearing hanger on the inboard side and/or turn the bearing around? Can you drill new holes and use a spacer on the 3rd bearing support?
I believe you're referring to the axle bearing and mounting housing. I actually tried that earlier for an entirely different reason, and wasn't able to because of the way the bearing hanger is welded to the chassis tube. That is to say on the inboard side, there is not enough clearance below the frame rail to allow the bearing to sit in place. I could do it if I were to cut away or trim some off the top of the mounting housing for the bearing, but I don't really want to do that. At this point as I see it, a worst case scenario is a different motor mount which isn't that big of an issue, or at least I hope it wouldn't be. As far as just turning the bearing around, that can be done but the collar on the inboard side is actually wider because it has set screws in it. That would only serve to exacerbate the problem. Thank you for taking time to share your suggestions, as always they're helpful and appreciated.

Don't cut away the bearing clams, they would fail. The answer really is a different mount. Even if you could move the axle bearing, you might not have enough chain clearance on the frame. is it DD or clutch, you might be able to get a plate to go between the mount and the engine. Allot of vintage karts had that and they all had side pod rail clearance problems because they were Euro kart made for DD. Check the Burris site, they have allot of engine mount stuff over there.

Last edited:
So if you can't flip the bearing and or drive hub .
if you have a motor plate re drill the holes .
make a motor plate that bolts too the engine and then mount it to your current mount .
A new mount may or may not fix the problem . I'd think they would be basically the same offset .

You could use a 53 tooth #35 sprocket as a spacer to move your larger 219 sprocket to the left. Put the longer bolts through on the sprocket side. Center the sprocket (runout) before tightening the bolts/nuts.

You could use a 53 tooth #35 sprocket as a spacer to move your larger 219 sprocket to the left. Put the longer bolts through on the sprocket side. Center the sprocket (runout) before tightening the bolts/nuts.
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to be okay. I had a new sprocket hub ordered and it came today, and when I installed it with the sprocket and pushed it all the way to the bearing collar, the sprockets line up with one and other. One has to imagine that it is strictly by chance that it turned out that way because there's no way that it could have been planned to work out as it did. I guess even I can catch a break once in a while (ha-ha).
Thanks again.

Back