Predator engine numbers and information

speedwaydesign

Can anyone tell me which of the 212 predators were made in which order? Some have the nylon cam gear with the 196 cc style retainers [RTC -6] and the others that I have - steel cam gear with the automotive style retainers. RTC 4 head. Can you point me in the right direction here?

One additional thing if you will - Is the Hemi still being made? Where can I buy the engine or head?
Thanks in advance.

I'm just visiting back here (NY) from CA and saw several '363's' and a couple of '730's' in HF up-state store yesterday. I wanted too buy all of them and take-um back 2-CA, but until SOMEBODY takes this 'thing' by-the-horn, I ain't doin noth'n!

the 730 is a stock block engine with a head that may or may not be the rtc-06 (the big valve head). the 636 is the hemi-head predator and is fast becoming a rare item to find.

the order, i think is....the original predator (numbered something like a 120 or such, i can't find it)....nothign special about this engine. then came the 636 "hemi" head engine. this, i've been told was a replacement for the original. This engine has the large valves in a hemi style head. came with a stock flattop piston. the comes the current "version", the 730. This engine comes in basically two different configurations....one is the 730 with the rtc-06 heads....these heads come with the bigger valves (27 and 24 mm) and split keepers. the heads have excellent flow and only need a few minor swipes to smooth the edges and boost the flow. the other 730 comes with the standard type valves and keepers. i'm looking at my notes and this was what i had written down. i haven't seen any of the ones that i've bought come with a plastic cam.

that's what i know...please correct me if i'm wrong. i have one hemi predator in the shop stripped to the bare block. i have another hemi in the box and two of the 730's with the rtc-06 heads waiting to be tore down and machined....

and screamn 2....is that you screamer? tryin to throw us off by using a new name? :)

My store denies their existence [363] they just said - obsolete? The numbers on the boxes don't truly reveal what is inside the box. Am I getting old stock or new? They just say the numbers cross over. Perhaps we could open the box and look at the head number. I believe that the 363 has a different valve cover.

My store denies their existence [363] they just said - obsolete? The numbers on the boxes don't truly reveal what is inside the box. Am I getting old stock or new? They just say the numbers cross over. Perhaps we could open the box and look at the head number. I believe that the 363 has a different valve cover.
The 60363 (Hemi) is the part/model number on the box and also, the 'picture' on the box shows the 'cast-aluminum' Valve Cover. It has been stated previously that H-F stores, in-general, do NOT get/have knowledge of what they receive....to them, a Predator engine is just a Predator engine.

Can anyone tell me which of the 212 predators were made in which order? Some have the nylon cam gear with the 196 cc style retainers [RTC -6] and the others that I have - steel cam gear with the automotive style retainers. RTC 4 head. Can you point me in the right direction here?

One additional thing if you will - Is the Hemi still being made? Where can I buy the engine or head?
Thanks in advance.

The rtc-6 heads dont have the nylon cam gear or the 196 style retainers, those heads have smaller 5mm valve stems with 27mm and 25mm valves, aluminum retainers and split locking keepers, the older style predators were the ones with nylon cam gears and the clone style retainers. I have one of each style right here.

When your at the store looking at the engines, look on the boxes, the Hemi predator is part number 60363 and the picture of the engine on the box will show a sort of rectangle shaped cast aluminum valve cover with a nipple on the right side of the valve cover which the breather hose fits on, it looks nothing like the other style predators or clones and should be easy to find if they even have them. The 69730 # predator are the newest ones, some have the JT-117 heads on them and some have the RTC-6 heads on them, its pretty much a toss up which one you are getting unless you can open the box and check the numbers on the head. The Hemi predators are getting harder to find, and the RTC-6 head casting predator 69730 seem to be even harder to find, as i have only found one since iv found out about them. There are plenty of the 69730 predators out there with the JT-117 head on them though, those seem to be the most common. The only predator that comes with the flat top piston and can use clone cams is the Hemi predator, just to be clear.

This is order I know in places other than Ca. #68120 first ones here after the blue engines had plastic cam gear by Lifan; 69730 1st. edition reg head,steel gear made by Lifan; Then-60363 Hemi by Loncin,every body knows what they are NO longer being sold; Next 69730 2nd edition,big valves some early ones had plastic cam gear,by Loncin; If you look thru the hand holes on the box you can see the valve cover; The only way I have found to see if it is a big valve 69730 is the advertising on the boxes has more Enviormently safer printing on them usually in Green and the dates on the boxes are after Oct.2013; The 68121,69720,69727 were Ca. engines

I picked up a 60363 last Wednesday and a 69730 Saturday in Clarksville In. they had more 69730s but no more 60363. haven't been back this week yet but they are shipped in on Tuesdays so i'll ckeck after work tomorrow.seems its the luck of the draw. got both of mine for $99.

While in the store you can push in the lift handle tab built into the box. It lines up perfectly with the valve cover. You will be able to see if it is a cast aluminum valve cover (Hemi 60363)

thanks astro...i think.... i know you are being a little sarcastic, but that's ok!! :) colaboration between racers is what drives the sport to reach higher goals and keeps the sport headed in the right direction. but you're still a good guy!

i am trying the heads out, including the hemi. i don't have a flow bench or a dyno, so everything i do may or may not make any power whatsoever. i'm working the hemi head cleaning the flow and smoothing the sharp edges out. i'm sending the 730 heads out to be milled and will smooth them as well, but not opening them any more. they have wide runners and the only thing that needs to be done is to get rid of the sharp angles in the valve guide area. i have seen a few casting issues with a little "slag" being left behind and it appears like scaling. i use a laser and point it along the floor of the intake/exhaust runner and you can see where the scaling is and smooth it out...specially in the exhaust runner...i've left it alone on the intake runner and given it a rougher appearance to aid in fuel atomization. i did find that the shaft rocker mounts on the hemi head are really rough (at least in mine), so i smoothed those and it seems to let the rockers swivel easier. i'm going to be using the bottom end of the hemi 636 engine with the flattop piston (mostly because i can use the 196 cams), coupled with the 730 heads....although i may run the hemi head a time or two to get a comparison on the power.

i bought the last hemi head predator that the local HF store had out on the floor along with two 730 predators that have the rtc-06 heads...and i dont trust what i get told by the kids that work at harbor frieght....when i asked if they had the hemi predator numbered 60363, they looked like a deer in the headlights...didn't have a clue about what i was talking about and refered me to the manager who didn't even know that they had different motors....his answer was "we get the shipment on thursday and put it out on friday and we don't know what's in the boxes"...go figure....this guy probably cheated on an open book test....

Mikey, the guys at HF really dont know the difference in the predators, to them a predator is just a predator, they see them the same way as contractors and others who use them on their power equipment, just as a replacement motor for what they need it for. They have no idea what the different part numbers mean or whats in the boxes, they just get paid to sell them. Just imagine how many of these Hemi predators that everyone seems to like so much, have already been bought and are sitting on pressure washers or generators right now lol. Somebody out there must have one mean pressure washer, huh? lol

Back