School Me on LO206

Exactly what I mean. I´ll ask my question as I intended it to be: Tell me the name of a driver who has won a big 4 cycle National even on a European chassis, specially using a 50 mm axle. Most 4 cycle chassis come from the East Coast, so I doubt the level of teams running them on the West can be similar. Same for 2 cycle European stuff, I am sure ion this case the level is much higher on the West. And move to Europe and the level for European FIA/CIK Karting will be even more competitive than on the West Coast. Same for any other type of Karting. Most top level dirt oval racing in on the East Coast, specially Southern States. Top builders for this type are mostly down South too.

I was not trying to start a ****ing match but here ya go I sponsored Scott Barley in 2012 2013 and he won the W/F 4 stroke grands both years on a Rapido Italkart.. At the Canadian nats most were using 50mm axles on the lo206 classes in adult. West coast and East coast examples.

Greg

Last edited:
Its all an opinion on what you consider a "big" event or national quality. I've won many races on Arrows with 40mm axles. The east coast without a doubt is as good as west coast in 2cycle talent. The top few sr drivers in the country live in Florida. Formal, Neri, Askew and then Beasley from Ohio.

:):):)
Its all an opinion on what you consider a "big" event or national quality. I've won many races on Arrows with 40mm axles. The east coast without a doubt is as good as west coast in 2cycle talent. The top few sr drivers in the country live in Florida. Formal, Neri, Askew and then Beasley from Ohio.

Gary, I am not discussing the talent of the 2 cycle drivers on the East coast. I know in Florida and som e areas up North 2 there are many good drivers, I just mean this kind of racing is more spread in the west coast.
Greg, we are not talking about Canada, but about the US. By the way, if that counts most top drivers in Spain are on the East Coast, lol.

:):):)

Gary, I am not discussing the talent of the 2 cycle drivers on the East coast. I know in Florida and som e areas up North 2 there are many good drivers, I just mean this kind of racing is more spread in the west coast.
Greg, we are not talking about Canada, but about the US. By the way, if that counts most top drivers in Spain are on the East Coast, lol.

I know the comments were not based on Canada. The drivers I have sponsored only race in the USA. The reason I mentioned that in Canada most drivers were on 50mm and 30-32 frame is we are ahead of you guys as far as a National lo206 series. We have had two Nationals now that have had the l0206 as a class. We have had participants from every province attend that race. If you go on the Briggs race site they use this race as a major promotional event to highlight the lo2o6.If you don't believe a Canadian talk to Dave Klauss what he thinks of racing in Canada. I just made a comment on trends. The hybrid chassis like I drive which is a Lewis Hamilton CRG chassis which is a 28-30mm two stroke chassis works very well with 4 strokes as many of the new two stroke chassis are much less stiff than they were a few years back. The soft 50mm axles work well in lo206 classes.

Greg

Oh so right, Sundog, and that's one of the great allures of racing! So many bright & capable people, and we all keep expanding our minds.

Happy Racing, Ya' All

I was not trying to start a ****ing match but here ya go I sponsored Scott Barley in 2012 2013 and he won the W/F 4 stroke grands both years on a Rapido Italkart.. At the Canadian nats most were using 50mm axles on the lo206 classes in adult. West coast and East coast examples.

Greg

Scott's a good sized driver, and I can vouch that he's quick. 1 minute flat at 400#'s when the rest of us are in the 1:03's to 1:05's....
I think a lot of that has to do with driver weight, bigger frame and axles better capability to handle more weight in the turns. I have an older Supersonic-V and that is 32mm/40mm and a Rapido-V that is 30mm/50mm, and I would love to have the 32mm frame and 50mm axle at my weight.
Also should be pointed out that SIMA and several of the area tracks are nice high grip tracks where gains will be seen with a stiffer chassis and axles. Slicker tracks I would totally understand where a more flexi frame and axle would pic up some grip.

Scott's a good sized driver, and I can vouch that he's quick. 1 minute flat at 400#'s when the rest of us are in the 1:03's to 1:05's....
I think a lot of that has to do with driver weight, bigger frame and axles better capability to handle more weight in the turns. I have an older Supersonic-V and that is 32mm/40mm and a Rapido-V that is 30mm/50mm, and I would love to have the 32mm frame and 50mm axle at my weight.
Also should be pointed out that SIMA and several of the area tracks are nice high grip tracks where gains will be seen with a stiffer chassis and axles. Slicker tracks I would totally understand where a more flexi frame and axle would pic up some grip.

No its all in his engine I built him it makes 10 more HP than the competition-- he's a terrible driver lol. Yes you are correct in everything you say as I know he struggled on some of the tracks with that ItalKart chassis and wanted to go back at times to the 40mm axled Arrow.

Greg

And we're back.

I saw where someone was talking about the different manufacturing series on the LO206. Is one better than another, what are the numbers to look for?

Thanks,
Sundog

That sounds a bit like a sales job, sundog? We've not heard any meritable complaints. Since there's a true quality-check process on every 206 motor that leaves Wisconsin, Briggs is demanding more of themselves than the masses in racing, to insure that the playing field is level.

Different manufacturing series? That's a new one on me too. Could you be confusing the M series with splined crank for 1/4 midgets? Possibly the 4100 PVL kid kart JRLO206 as apposed to the adult LO206 with 6100 rpm rev limiter?
Of all of the Lo206s that have come through our shop (and there have been plenty) I have seen absolutely nothing incorrect from the inspection sheets.
The only number to look for is "LO206."

That would be called "stirring the pot". Someone apparently doesn't like the 206 program spreading rumors like that. They can try, but facts don't lie.

A small change that might be mistaken as an update improvement was with some of the bolts changing from american to metric. The larger metric rocker arm bolts could be sold as an advantage over the older smaller ones. I am sure there is a serial # change for when that happened.

^ Well, at least since the Rt-1 head - but that's been several years now. Maybe someone has some very old stock they are talking about?

No "manufacturing series" numbers to worry about onthe Lo206.
Animal engines had several revisions/upgrades -- but we're talking about a different animal here. ;)

Greg, you're right that most of Canada is running Euro-based manufacturers' chassis. But I think they tend to be 28mm or 30mm frames, designed for 4-cycle racing, with 40 mm axles.

For example, the CRG RS5 is the CRG of choice in Eastern Canada for LO206 and it is a 28mm frame, 40mm axle. Birel, K&K, Arrow and many others are similar, maybe offering 30mm frames for bigger drivers or more wide open tracks.

In Canada, the ASN rules keep the width of the 4-cycles narrower, which makes it tough to free up most of the real 2-cycle chassis that like to run at least 53" wide in the back, which is based on the feedback I've received from people in Calgary and Saskatoon who've run 2-cycle frames with the LO206. It can work with a super soft 50mm axle and an extremely smooth driving style, but it's not ideal, and I don't think the many guys in the East are running the setup you suggest (and neither did the guy who won the West in 2012, who was on a 28mm CRG frame, 40mm axle - the last time the LO206 had real representation in a major series in the West - I'm guessing it'll be back for 2014 though).

Another piece of the puzzle for anyone wondering, we also require the situp seats in Canada and CIK bodywork, so that might explain why we don't see many of the American chassis up here (apart from the Margay that does alright in the East).

Can someone measure from the center of the left side mounting bolt hole to the shoulder on the PTO shaft? Want to see if it's the same as a clone (1-3/8"). My seat is XL and it's a tight fit between the clutch/seat strut and cowling/tire.

Thanks,
Sundog

Back