School Me on LO206

That is correct I am on a 4s. This kart was also run successfully with tag engines as well. I would not say it is softer than other model arrows that have been used in 2cycle classes. Aside from the straight rear bar to accommodate the inboard drive their isnt any 4 cycle specific design changes.

I have also watched an Emmick cobra dominate at gold cup. It was designed/marketed as an 80CC shifter kart in 98. I owned one and won a lot with it. It had a 1 3/8" axle. Frame was super stiff! Front torsion bar welded solid and also a rear bar and extra left side rail.

There are some changes with the 4 cycle Arrows. 1st the wheekbase is 8 mm shorter, and most important of all, the 40 mm axle you use compared to the 50 mm. The wheel hubs are also different., but as I say main difference is axle. Every European or foreign manufacturer uses a maximum of 40 mm for lower power classes, including Yamahas. I guess they know why. Anyway I am sure you are an excellent driver and that can make an even bigger difference than the chassis. Thanks for the info.

No offense Gary. I don't want to start a p_ _ _ _n match.
I know the Arrow is a great chassis but why weren't they the Top 3 or 5 etc.
I'm know that has happened at other races.
The most important part of this whole equation is the nut behind the wheel.
You are not only a great driver, but also a great set up and tire guy.
Best of luck.

As Ryan said no one is running them anymore. The ones that did were up front. One other race last year a kid ran one and finished 2nd to me at pitt. I dont care if others don't run them. Makes it easier on me for sure.

Rainman the kart I have is not an x3 4s. One has never even made it to the USA as of yet. Anyway yes the axle and hubs are also different. When I used this kart to run yamaha can in man cup I qualified on pole at kershaw with a 50mm axle. You are 100% wrong stating that euro manufacturers use 40 mm axle for yamaha. Maybe 5 years ago or so. Every single kart at the man cup in jr and sr can comes from the factory with a 50mm axle. All the OTK karts from jr can to tag are the same chassis. They come out of the box with 50mm. So do all the arrows, birels, top karts, CPR, etc. Part of the reason wka changed the rule a while back to allow 50mm is many of the euro karts were being sent 50s already and they had to swap everything out. The karts run in yamaha at man cup at Daytona come with 50s. I took two out of the box and assembled them myself. Not being a jerk but you are simply wrong.

I'll be running a Swiss Hutless at GoPro for the LO206 class, so we'll see how that does...40mm rear, 28-30 frame, I think...I'm picking it up next weekend, and any help/advice is appreciated. My driving style is more smooth/flowing, so I assume that's helpful vs. the ICA I've run a few races with at BeaverRun (now PIRC).

Gary, that's interesting that they come with 50mm in the US. Here in Canada, I think the "Euro" 4-cycle chassis come in the box equipped with 40mm axles as the "standard". CRG and Birel (arguably the 2 most popular up here) definitely do, and I think it's the same for the others too (including Arrow, which along with Tony and K&K are probably the next most popular here at the moment).

I'm guessing that could be because up here we're limited to 128 cm (51.2") rear width and 6" wide tires/wheels. If we went to 55" and 7" wide tires, the 50mm might work better.

Robkoz ASN 4 cycle max width is 50" 127cm and rear wheels min 6 7/8 175mm -- max 7 1/4 185mm, you are correct on the majority using softer 40mm axles. I know the 50mm was tested and not many stayed with it on Euro chassis.

Yes I was speaking on yamaha karts running 50s. The same tony kart used in yamaha and tag is also used in 4cycles though with success. But like you said these classes all have 55" rear width. Otherwise it is nearly impossible to run 50 or 51" without cutting the axle.

As Ryan said no one is running them anymore. The ones that did were up front. One other race last year a kid ran one and finished 2nd to me at pitt. I dont care if others don't run them. Makes it easier on me for sure.

Rainman the kart I have is not an x3 4s. One has never even made it to the USA as of yet. Anyway yes the axle and hubs are also different. When I used this kart to run yamaha can in man cup I qualified on pole at kershaw with a 50mm axle. You are 100% wrong stating that euro manufacturers use 40 mm axle for yamaha. Maybe 5 years ago or so. Every single kart at the man cup in jr and sr can comes from the factory with a 50mm axle. All the OTK karts from jr can to tag are the same chassis. They come out of the box with 50mm. So do all the arrows, birels, top karts, CPR, etc. Part of the reason wka changed the rule a while back to allow 50mm is many of the euro karts were being sent 50s already and they had to swap everything out. The karts run in yamaha at man cup at Daytona come with 50s. I took two out of the box and assembled them myself. Not being a jerk but you are simply wrong.

Well, I admit my mistake regarding Man Cup. You are right there, though in theory European manufacturers don´t build anymore chassis specificallydesigned for Yamaha classes because Yamaha is not a FIA/CIK class anymore, same reason why they most don´t have a product designed for 4 cycles other that rental/fun karts. I said most, not all. When they uesd to build karts for Yamaha clases they uesd to be on 40mm axle or even smaller. I know several builders personally and we have talked for a long time about this and why they uesd these axles and different tubing. I am not an engineer, but I am sure THEY know more than both of us. And again ARrow equips their 4 cycle chassis with 40 mm axle. Anyway whatever works for you and I see it does keep using it, but I see you are using 40 mm with 4 cycles and not 50 mm. The engines FIA/CIK uses for Jr classes that replaced JICA and Yamaha are mor epowerful so htere´is a reason why the changed their Jr chassis to 50 mm, other than of course changes on CIK regulations. Other than that and with all respect I might be wrong but I think Arrow has never won a FIA/CIK World Championship so they are a still a step behind most consolidated manufacturers. I do know they are very user friendly and easier to setup than others like Tony Karts for example.

Robkoz ASN 4 cycle max width is 50" 127cm and rear wheels min 6 7/8 175mm -- max 7 1/4 185mm, you are correct on the majority using softer 40mm axles. I know the 50mm was tested and not many stayed with it on Euro chassis.

I knew 51" didn't sound right...

127 cm it is!

And of course you're right about wheel sizes too - which translates to using the 6.0 vs 7.1 rear tires - at least as far as I know.

We've won double digit Duffys with exactly what Greg outlined, and know many more that have as well. Fryers, Schuttes, Stephensons, Agans, are all experts, with 2 or more GN wins, on European chassis. We love the Italkart-Rapido, & Rapido V, it's great equipment for asphalt sprint racing. 50mm axle, 30mm chassis, and and a flavor-of-the-day for axles, from uber soft to hard, dependent on the track conditions. The more rubber that's down, the more important adjustability becomes. The Lawrences & Lloyd Mack proved over the last couple of years how to put Tony Kart at the front of the pack, and their success is as good as it gets. Adjustability is key, and when racing over 350#, front end geometry (25mm front spindles) with top & bottom pills compliment that axle well. The other chassis mentioned above are good too, but we'll only bring 50mm axles to a 4 cycle Grand National race.

You can add 'Maddix' and 'GP' too that list as well...:)

I guess school is over and I learned the engine doesn't matter in LO206 because, it's all chassis and driver skill.

Sundog

Back