set up twin kt100

Ya, definitely will mock it up and make lower plate with some adjustment right and left to dial in left side percentage, It may need to go as far to the left as I can muster, won't know for sure until I can get it on some scales. How thick do you think that plate needs to be to be rigid enough?

I did a mock up for a Freight train set-up, and there is a way you can put very close together but would need to run 2 different length timing belts, long J/S and a 4 disk Tomar clutch. rear engine with regular pipe and front with a straight out the back enduro type pipe.

Blake -- what did you do for drivers on the JICA cranks? They're that weird 13.5* taper or something, IIRC. Did you custom machine belt drivers on 'em to the jackshaft or run the JICA clutches?

I had Bob Berlin machine me a pair of belt drivers. He did an awesome job at what I though was a very fair price. Good guy to deal with.

Ya, definitely will mock it up and make lower plate with some adjustment right and left to dial in left side percentage, It may need to go as far to the left as I can muster, won't know for sure until I can get it on some scales. How thick do you think that plate needs to be to be rigid enough?

I would go with a 3/4 inch plate if I were mounting duals to one side. To start out with I made my motor plates out of 1/2 inch plate and cracked one the 2nd time out...that was just a single engine.

Here is my question. When I cracked the motor plate I had several people ask me what grade of aluminum I used. What would be the best material to use that has good machinability and is strong?

ted. have several kt 100 from a buyout in fla!priced rite w/ 20mm drivers and baseplates having a big machine auction @ the warehouse this sun the 15th. look on auction zip .com. mill- 2 lathes -grinders etc related. tool and die shop!

Mike, I would have to customize our frame rails just to get third bearing so any ideas are very welcomed.Thanks Shawn

Making a 3rd bearing need not be a big deal. If you have a rear cross bar all you need is a hanger, a piece of 1 1/4" dom tubing and you can add a clevis or rod end or just weld it in place. I made a clevis that clamps to the cross bar and a rod end that threads into the tubing/hanger. the rod end allows for the axle to flex up and down but the assembly keeps the axle from flexing forward and back. I ran a #35 chain on my 450 for 2 years never broke or dumped the chain. It makes all the difference in the world. Saves on the clutch and shaft abuse also.

http://www.bmikarts.com/1-14-Racing-Bearing-Hangers-_p_497.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-max10t/overview/

I don't recommend having 2 engines with 2 clutches....
Here's why: the engine "phasing" is constantly changing. This can make the power application very unpredictable. Having the engines fire together, 180 deg out, 90 degs out....it changes the "feel" dramatically. With 2 separate clutch set-ups, that is constantly changing and you have virtually no control over it. You can even have it "hit" so that the harmonics effectively slow you down, temporarily....."feel wise".
2cycles don't work like 4cycles. Harmonics aren't a big deal....they're a huge deal. That's what makes the pipes work the way they do. The engines need to be connected, in a locked fashion. Half of figuring these things out is seeing where they run the best....together.
That's all you'll get out of me.....
Mike

Mike, if that all we can get out of you then keep on posting the short stuff! You get my wheels turning in my head ,that's for sure.I was planing on running twin belt primaries to jackshaft with clutch on end for secondary so I could "phase" the motors.

Here's why: the engine "phasing" is constantly changing

One of the coolest sounds in karts are freight train Briggs flat-heads coming through the apex out of sync and then syncing up at the end of the turn and pulling hard down the straight. Twin clutches find sync.

DK

Mike, if that all we can get out of you then keep on posting the short stuff! You get my wheels turning in my head ,that's for sure.I was planing on running twin belt primaries to jackshaft with clutch on end for secondary so I could "phase" the motors.

I can't stress enough, the importance of that. Science doesn't lie. Consistency is a key tool in racing. Phasing and locking that "phase" in is a key to having a consistent running system.
Mike

Any body have any pictures of an axle 3rd bearing support. Just bought a new Vortex looking to add one to it. I have several ideas but would like to see some other designs. Thanks in advance Jimmy Hatton

I have many many beat the crap out of my stuff races with my twin yamahas never any failure...no tuning issues ever at all..... never a non finish... just cant drive the dam thing oh and I cant figure out how to keep a clutch on it so I got Chris and Kevin Birky to make me a twin Birky that he and I talked about making a few years back should be a go now.... you can run a ton of races on twin yamahas cause they don't work hard and get tons of heat.... lucky to get 1100 degrees ofcourse im tuned there... don't listen to all the nay sayers trying to sell you there stuff just make sure you do what Darell Kelso told me years back "make sure your pointed in the right direct before you throttle" ...mine look just like a buller jack shaft with more plate on the right ... right motor is turned around... pto's face each other... and they have custom cut ptos to look exacly like mag ends and they are keyed.... got custom cut hegar 30mm 3 piece drivers cut down to 20mm..never even replaced a belt yet... and the nuts are shaved too... the yamahas are 1/4" apart.... use a buller jackshaft tube and a third bearing from ts racing.... use 2 57 tooth wheels on the other end of the jack shaft where buller has his and put in the third bearing all done.... i'm gonna remove the 57's and put the birky there now may come back need pics e mail me....

No na sayers on here roo just people pointing out the learning curve short cuts. Now I know better with your comment about 0 failures I know it took you a long time to get your most current setup. Nobody's telling him not to do it. Were all just trying to help him get a feel of what's involved. BTW when can we expect a return of the rooster rocket? See you soon big fella.

Back