set up twin kt100

this spring I believe...comin' to get you taffy...we gotta get a old group of guys back again was soo much fun in the day wasn't it? we need a bunch of guys again so its easier to run mid pack lmao..now with 6 front runners i'll get lapped in the first two and look stupid haha

The boys are rolling for sure, But if I remember you showed up a DD after a long departure and whooped us all. You never know what the old muscle memory has in store.

I have many many beat the crap out of my stuff races with my twin yamahas never any failure...no tuning issues ever at all..... never a non finish... just cant drive the dam thing oh and I cant figure out how to keep a clutch on it so I got Chris and Kevin Birky to make me a twin Birky that he and I talked about making a few years back should be a go now.... you can run a ton of races on twin yamahas cause they don't work hard and get tons of heat.... lucky to get 1100 degrees ofcourse im tuned there... don't listen to all the nay sayers trying to sell you there stuff just make sure you do what Darell Kelso told me years back "make sure your pointed in the right direct before you throttle" ...mine look just like a buller jack shaft with more plate on the right ... right motor is turned around... pto's face each other... and they have custom cut ptos to look exacly like mag ends and they are keyed.... got custom cut hegar 30mm 3 piece drivers cut down to 20mm..never even replaced a belt yet... and the nuts are shaved too... the yamahas are 1/4" apart.... use a buller jackshaft tube and a third bearing from ts racing.... use 2 57 tooth wheels on the other end of the jack shaft where buller has his and put in the third bearing all done.... i'm gonna remove the 57's and put the birky there now may come back need pics e mail me....

Yes the dual Birky is available.

if its a rwyb rule, go twin 131's & ck out.. I did man what a ride u better bolt every thing down then bolt it down again, CUSTOM JACKSHAFT buller 4 disk clutch & let it rip, E ticket ride for sure..

Anybody have problems NOT running third bearing on end of stock crank with phiefer belt drive pulley? Thanks Shawn

I had a true Siamese setup. The engines could be timed anywhere I wanted them. I started with them firing together and found that at half track they would go ballistic. I then timed them 180 out an it was a steady pull as it should be (controllable). I never went any further than that but was told by Mr. Clausen that actually they will usually sync up at 30* off. as far as reliability, I ran my set 40 race nights in a row and finished every race. When the engines were pulled apart for rebuild they looked in great shape but I still had Fairfield Motorsports rebuild them.
As far as clutches, a that time I was running a Greased Lightning 2 disk with the fully billet steel basket. Worked great until the seat strut destroyed the clutch.

Later,
Kelso

Maybe going 30* out would give the twins similar effect the Harley XR's had in Grand National racing.

DK

racer11x,what do you mean "true siamese" ? Could you explane the ballistic part further? Thanks , just trying to get a handle on twin setups.

True Siamese = Cranks are connected together with spline gears and yoke. Ballistic means they were almost uncontrollable, mild to wild, really fast at one point...........

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I'm just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can to help be competative and to save some expensive equipment. We really apreciate ALL the help from everyone! We have begun our mock-up to work out the kinks and will let you all know how it turns out,will have to wait for the snow to be gone to get any track time though! Thanks a million , Shawn

What is the best way to set up twin kt100 ? Also how to make one an left side drive?
They used to sell an ignition rotor keyed for reverse rotation for the KT that was mounted on the left hand side with the cases rotated. Meaning the clutch was outboard. You would then rotate the barrel so the exhaust went out the back.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I'm just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can to help be competative and to save some expensive equipment. We really apreciate ALL the help from everyone! We have begun our mock-up to work out the kinks and will let you all know how it turns out,will have to wait for the snow to be gone to get any track time though! Thanks a million , Shawn
I won't couple my next one.

They used to sell an ignition rotor keyed for reverse rotation for the KT that was mounted on the left hand side with the cases rotated. Meaning the clutch was outboard. You would then rotate the barrel so the exhaust went out the back.
If you rotate barrel then do you have fill and machine cases to line up transfers?

Perhaps you didn’t know but when the KT first came to America they came with the exhaust pointed out the front like a motorcycle. The header curved up and around a little and the rest of the pipe curved some more so that it pointed kind of at and over the rear of the left tire. The pipe looked much like a Veeve, only with a curve.
My first KT was one of the first 100 imported to the U.S. I cut and welded one of my Mayko pipes to fit the same configuration. At my first race, with this engine, Bob Pruett showed up with his KT but had the barrel turned 180 degrees. It was much faster than my KT. After that everybody did the same thing. The misaligned transfers seemed to have no effect on performance. If anything, it was better.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
Tuning is tough! (Al Nunley)

Has any one tried two different pipes on twins? Like a rlv A2 and A4. Would this mess up the harmonics?

I ran my twins on the same jack shaft setup that Rooster has. Set my timing at 10 degrees out worked great. I never had a problem with them. They were stock TS Yamahas. Ran TSOW pipes and a 3 disk bulley clutch. Had a lot of fun with them.

Frankie

Back